Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Steelhead jam - shopping list

From Mount Joy, PA
Since this will be my first time chasing "chrome", I may need a few things before Erie and wanted to get a jump on it. My hunch is that in many ways this will be like fishing for 'oversized trout', so much of the tackle I have will work (strike indicators, etc.). But I have a few questions regarding leaders, flies and tippet. Fortunately I have two 8 wt rods; one with a floating line and one with intermediate sinking tip, so I'm covered with the big stuff.

Leaders:

9' mono or fluoro? I've been reading that fluoro is a good choice due to its transparency and abrasion resistance. What would be a good range to have? 1X-5X? My current cache is all mono ranging from 3X-7X.

Tippet:

Here again, mono or fluoro? (to match the leader). Currently all I have is mono.

Flies:

Wooly buggers - white, black, purple #6 or #10?
Eggs - peach, salmon, orange, pink, mixed colors
Sucker spawn/crystal meth - assorted colors
Streamers - emerald shiners
Nymphs - assorted (Copper Johns, etc.)

Just looking for 6-12 'essential' steelhead flies I can work on tying up before the jam. I'm a beginning tyer, so I can handle many of the basic flies mentioned above.

Gear:

Fingerless gloves, waders (neoprene or breathable), winter hat, hand warmers, digital camera

What else? As I said, I have a bunch of stuff but want to make a list so that I don't forget anything!

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:49

Re: Steelhead jam - shopping list

From Bozeman
Leader: 2-3 ft amnesia-> 3-5 ft 10 lb mono -> 4-8lb fluoro tippet. You will be doing absolutely zero surface fishing, so a tapered leader is useless.

Leave the sinking line at home. It's unnecessary in erie.

Flies are fine.

I'd go with the neoprenes if you have them. Preferably boot foot.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 10:55

From Gettysburg
I'd add a landing net with good sized bag.
(Gotta make sure you land that fish for the glory photo. )

Posted on: 2010/9/27 11:00

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
I'd add a landing net with good sized bag.
(Gotta make sure you land that fish for the glory photo. )

I just bought a new steelhead net at Dick's. It was like $13. It was a "trout net" but had a very deep net. Small enough to be able to carry around all day up there.

I'll also add a raincoat/wading jacket. It'll probably be rainy/snowy there, especially with our JAM track record. Bring a few extra sets of clothing to layer up, or change into if you get wet.

The flies I use are mainly nymphs (HE, Prince, Caddis, Stone) Eggs (egg, salmon, red, blue) and buggers and streamers in olive white brown and black. If that doesn't catch you fish, then it's a bad day.

Bring some decent sized split shot. Not those microscopic fly fishing ones, but some typical spin casting shot. There's some days I'll put 3-4 of those on just to get the flies down. It's a chuck and duck game up there and it's very important to get your flies down.

Ryan

Posted on: 2010/9/27 11:09

From Erie, PA
d agree with most of the above, except I do my leaders a little differently. I fish the right-angle style when the water is high or deep runs, i.e. 2-3 ft of 10lb mono clinched to your indicator (I like the smallest thingamabobber) with 5-6 ft of whatever leader material you like clinched to your 10lb mono (I like 6-8lb flouro). Rubbing a little mud on your leader helps it sink as well. It does take some shot to get to the bottom when the creeks are up.

I switched to breathables last year, I actually stayed warmer in them. No sweating, so I stayed drier, plus its easy to layer under them as conditions change.

It a lot of fun here, I just moved up two years ago myself, and I cant consistently catch them, but I have a great time trying.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 12:05

From Eastern PA
^ Confused with chucking gobs of lead and smallest thingamabober? I was figuring the golf ball sized guys.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 12:17

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
Leader: 2-3 ft amnesia-> 3-5 ft 10 lb mono -> 4-8lb fluoro tippet. You will be doing absolutely zero surface fishing, so a tapered leader is useless.

Do you typically join with blood knots or surgeon's knots? That leader setup certainly simplifies things and I could tie a couple up to cover my bases.

I have the boot style neoprenes but will probably take both them and breathables.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 12:54

From Bozeman
I use an albright knot or loop to loop for the amnesia->mono connection. For mono->fluoro, I use blood knots.

I wouldn't bother tying ahead of time. Connect the amnesia to your fly line with a loop to loop, and connect the mono to that with a loop to loop. You'll have to tie one knot to change leaders. The amnesia isn't going anywhere. It's unbreakable. The bulk of your breakoffs will happen at the tippet, or just above the blood knot. My guess is that you'll go through one, maybe two segments of mono on the trip. The amnesia won't have to be touched. I have been using the same piece on my one rod for like two years now.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 12:56

From Mount Joy, PA
I'm definitely a fan of "loop-to-loop" connections as it doesn't waste valuable stream time tying knots!

Posted on: 2010/9/27 12:59

miller...go buy some vanish in 6-12 lbs range....6 if its low and clear, and adjust upwards accordingly to the water clarity...

its nothing fancy...most people gently beach their fish, a landing net is okay...leave the mountainstream brookie net at home or you will look like a clown up there... it REALLY is not hard shortline nymphing works just about everywhere up there...if you have ot cast longer the water is low and you can still detect strikes by watching for head twitches...it isnt too hard...

Posted on: 2010/9/27 13:00

From Eastern PA
Ya, and if anyone needs Amnesia (i have red and yellow) or any of the larger diameters of Maxima let me know. I will gladly mail a few sections of each to you. Kind of silly to buy a bunch of spools of crap when, as Jay points out, you never get into the butt sections of hand tied leaders.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 13:01

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

cmkrachen wrote:
miller...go buy some vanish in 6-12 lbs range....6 if its low and clear, and adjust upwards accordingly to the water clarity...

Are you suggesting that I buy non-fly fishing fluoro for use as tippet material?!?!?!?! Is that legal????

Posted on: 2010/9/27 13:09

when you're fishing for steelhead and salmon its required!

Posted on: 2010/9/27 13:10

From Bozeman
Agreed. I always use the seaguar stuff to save a few bucks. I'll burn through 30 yards in a week on the salmon river.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 13:11

From Erie, PA
Sorry, its not the smallest, its the 3/4".

Posted on: 2010/9/27 13:45

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com