Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Steelhead in the Delaware River?

From Bozeman
I don't doubt that it's one of the best streams in the US, but I have been to the bighorn. It's otherworldly compared to the D. It really must be seen to be believed. Consistent 30+ fish days, with none under 16 inches. That was all day, every day. It keeps me awake at night.

And I have yet to fish some of the other famous western tailwaters.

I would love to see the delaware become that good, but it's not there right now.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 15:06

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>Better tailwaters that should get new release plans and better attention... Kinzua and Raystown.>>

I'd be against doing anything of the sort to the Allegheny. It's already a good trout fishery almost all the way to Oil City, you just have to pick your times.

When they put the dam in up there (nearly 50 years ago), they raised hell with a first class smallmouth fishery all the way to Tionesta by monkey-dinking around with the releases every year to fill the reservoir for boating, etc. It's just in the last decade or so that it has mostly come back.

Enough is enough.

If they do anything with that dam, what I'd like to see is for them to take it out. I know that's kinda radical and will never happen, but that's what I'd like.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 15:29

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

RLeep2 wrote:

If they do anything with that dam, what I'd like to see is for them to take it out. I know that's kinda radical and will never happen, but that's what I'd like.

I'm not a fan of Dams. I'd sooner them all be taken out and lose the tailwater fisheries. Sure - i'll fish below them and take advantage of the trout fisheries they can create. But given the choice, i'd rather we (as a species) stop damming up all our rivers and making artificial situations.

Gosh i'm sounding like a radical these days on the forum. Guess I'm a dreamer at heart.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 15:39

From Monessen, PA
Flood control, irrigation, power generation and municipal water supply on the one hand, better fly fishing on the other hand. Surely a tough choice for most people.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 15:46

-- Leo Tolstoy

The dams can do all of the things Jack lists... if properly managed.

Jay,

This is from Border Waters site:

Main Stem "Species: Brown, rainbow & brook trout. Smallmouth bass, walleye, shad and some strippers. Rainbows average 14 inches, Browns about 17 but lots over 20 on dries."

East Branch "Species: Browns, rainbows, brookies and smallmouth bass. Rainbows average 12", browns 16", lots of browns in the 20+ " class, some brookies, 10" average."

My understanding is that the Brown average 17-18" and the Bows are 1-16" through the entire system. In the spring, we really didn't take but a handful that were less than 17" in either species.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:05

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>Flood control, irrigation, power generation and municipal water supply on the one hand, better fly fishing on the other hand. Surely a tough choice for most people.>>

Different fly fishing, to be sure. Perhaps not always better.

On days like today when I'm in full war bonnet mode, the flood control argument doesn't carry much weight with me.

For the question arises: What manner of halfwit would site a city on the low ground where 2 rivers come together?

And the answer comes: Only the sort of halfwit arrogant enough to believe he has both the means and right to bend nature and free flowing rivers to his will. We certainly have the means. Sometimes, I'm not so sure we have the right.

But then the war bonnet comes off and I realize what is, is.

I don't have to like it though..

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:06

From Bozeman
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
The dams can do all of the things Jack lists... if properly managed.

Jay,

This is from Border Waters site:

Main Stem "Species: Brown, rainbow & brook trout. Smallmouth bass, walleye, shad and some strippers. Rainbows average 14 inches, Browns about 17 but lots over 20 on dries."

East Branch "Species: Browns, rainbows, brookies and smallmouth bass. Rainbows average 12", browns 16", lots of browns in the 20+ " class, some brookies, 10" average."

My understanding is that the Brown average 17-18" and the Bows are 1-16" through the entire system. In the spring, we really didn't take but a handful that were less than 17" in either species.

6000+ per mile?

I'm sorry. I know you love the D. I think it's great too. But it is not the bighorn. I am certain that numerous other people that have experience with both can attest to that. I stepped out of the car with zero experience at the place, and caught numerous 20" class fish within the first three hours. That lasted multiple days. While waiting for the shuttle to be set up, I'd often take a dozen casts with buggers from the boat ramp. It often produced 4-5 17-20" fish before I even put my waders on. It's otherworldly.

Perhaps it could be closer if/when flows are better managed, but it's not the case now.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:09

6000+ fish per mile................. hope you like fishing shrimp & cress bugs. Does me NO GOOD!

I was talking to Josh about a MT trip for next year. Big Horn was always #1 the list. No longer. It's going to be Missouri River or Henry's Fork. A monkey can catch fish on nymphs. I'm going to catch them the way I want to... providing the fish are on the same sheet of music. Please see video. Smoke break will be required afterward.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:17

From Bozeman
There were rising fish everywhere, and crazy black caddis and hopper fishing.

But you do realize that post invalidates your rant about frog water and elitism, right?

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:18

Have you watched this video? I think not. You can't tell me that's what you saw on the BH. Look at all of this lovely "frog water"

No you don't!!! I can show you 100 successful nymph fisherman and 70 of them aren't good casters. They can read water, catch fish, etc. I don't think you could say the same for dry fly guys.

Why is it that a dry fly fisherman will fish nymphs and not complain but a nymph guy is forced to fish dries and the pampers need changed in 5 minutes?

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:19

From Bozeman
I have not fished the tain... er, the Mo. It very well may be better than the horn. I have no basis to argue that.

My point is that the horn > the delaware.

Edit: I have begun watching the video. Not much frog water so far. Just decent moving pools.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:20

then I will state Delaware > Hay Creek

LMAO. That was for jdaddy.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:25

From Bozeman
You would be right, froggy.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:27

From florida
Sight nymph: I didn't name any as there are some that most know,S Holston,Watauga,and Clinch in Tennessee,Hiwassee And Nantahala in N.Carolina and the latest the Cumberland in Kentucky.From what I read these are some good ones.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:29

From Bozeman
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:

Why is it that a dry fly fisherman will fish nymphs and not complain but a nymph guy is forced to fish dries and the pampers need changed in 5 minutes?

That's a heck of a generalization. I know plenty of dry fly snobs. In fact, that's why the term "dry fly snob" exists.

I simply prefer to fish moving water. Sure it's a crutch, but I enjoy it more. I'm not so arrogant as to claim that I need to challenge myself as much as possible every time I fish. I'm perfectly content with kicking back and just catching a few.

And note that I have never once complained about fishing dries. I have, however, complained about spending 3.5 hours rowing through ponds that happen to be located in the middle of rivers with zero surface activity. Thanks to your showing me around, I have managed to stick quite a few froggy water browns on dry flies up there. If there are rising fish, I'll do it again next time, assuming I have something other than an 11' 6wt.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 16:40

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com