Steelhead fly Line

T

tracker12

I am in need of some new fly line for my 8wt steelhead rod. What are you guys using and happy with.

I usually buy whatever I can get a good deal on. I try to find Scientific Anglers or Rio lines when I need a new line.

I would however, recommend staying away from the overweight lines, nymphing lines, streamer lines, etc. unless you have identified an actual need for them. In 8wt lines, they are just overkill for typical Erie steelhead fishing. If you are just doing the typical indicator rig and bugger fishing, a standard 8wt line is more than enough already.

Personally, I've moved to fishing 6wt rigs in PA. I find it easier to get better presentations and the lighter gear is just better suited to the size of streams being fishing. Fish can still be brought in pretty quickly with appropriate sized leader and tippet.

Kev

I agree with PK above on not choosing overweight lines and clunky front weighted nymph lines.

One of the most important things when choosing a line for SH is for it to have a long head for ease of mending and roll casting (SH spey cast sounds better and will impress your buddies). You'll do a lot of both when SH fishing.

Second, it is very important to choose a line that performs well / stays supple in cold water.

Check out choices from line mfg for those two features > long head (like 60' +) and stays supple in cold water, and you should be good-to-go.

Look at a Weight Forward DT line and check out the private label line from The Hook & Hackle Company. Your casting for Erie Steel is less than 40'.

I actually set my client single hand rods up with switch line for the Lake Erie tribs. Switch line can turn over any indi rig with simple roll casts and allows you roll cast a nice distance across our tribs. You can also put a poly tip on it and swing flies (and turn those tips/flies over very easily . Again, our tribs require rare overhead casting. This type of line allows you to maximize roll casting and water hauling in your runs and doesn't exhaust you throughout the day trying to turn over standard WF line.

FWIW :)

For the most part I am roll cast most days with egg patterns and various nymphs. I'll look into the switch lines. Any particular brand model you would recommend.

I use Orvis simply because it is the best price for me. Most of them are pretty similar.

Thanks. I'll check them out I usually get some discount coupons from them.

If you are going to go the switch line route, be aware that the weight ratings for switch and spey lines are not the same as traditional single hand lines.

An 8wt Single Hand line weighs 210g

An 8wt Switch line weighs 420g (2x as heavy and > a SH 12wt line)

The lightest weight Orvis Switch line offered is a 5wt and weighs in at 300g.

Also the Switch line has a larger diameter head and is 125' long, while most SH lines are 90' long. You may have to peel off some backing or cut back the line to spool it on your reel.

Good luck.

Just buy a Cortland 444 double taper line.

When one end wears out, switch it around and use the other end.

You don't need anything complicated for steelhead fishing at Erie.

The streams are small. It's not like fishing the big rivers in the Pacific Northwest.

Looks like the Cortland only goes up to 6WT in the DT. I am fishing a 10' Sage RPL in 8 wt.

If you're fishing in Erie then you're really not making a cast over 25 feet, and that may only be a few times a day if you're lucky. High stick nymphing is most of what you do. You can swing streamers and nymphs but once again you're not really casting too far. Some people want a nymphing specific line for up there but with the freezing conditions and other rough situations I don't think an expensive line is really needed. I think it would be a waste to spend a ton on a line for Erie. There's lots of good companies out there to find a good price on a line. I wouldn't put too much time or money into worrying about a line for Erie.

the shale also does a number on my line. I use line that I can roll cast mend, and can use for streamers. DT or even close out line has saved/allowed me to use a new line every year for the past 20+years I have been fly fishing for chrome.
Casting out in the lake is a different situation and I have a rod reel and line specifically used for that.

if you are doing short casts and a lot of roll casting, consider a level line.

i don't,for the life of m,e,understand why so many people overlook this.

Back