Steelhead fishing

B

bialeckij

Hello everyone I'm pretty new to this site, and this is my first topic.
I'm going to be going steelhead fishing in April in the lake Erie tributaries. I have never been steelhead fishing before. Does anyone have any tips or good locations? Thankyou for your help and input.

Welcome to the forum!

This may not look like much, but there's a ton of information in this link:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/steelhead.htm

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

If you are going to fish around Erie, stop in at Lake Erie Ultimate Angler. They can help you with stream reports and what's fishing best. Along with fly selection for that time period. April usually means suckers are in the tribs spawning in large numbers along with smallies on the spawn. That always makes for a good time!

Blake gives you good info. Some of those "hoovers" are pretty big and can provide some fun if there are few steelies around. Here's one tip, don't forget to try any fly with red in it. The best being a red san juan worm. I was fishing one April and nothing was working and as a joke I tied on a red worm and it was on the rest of the day.

Check out this link. I posted something similar for my first trip, and as usual the board came through with some good advice.

Old steelhead post.

The guys above give some good advice. I would read on Fish Erie and touch base with all the fly shops leading up to your trip about conditions, flies, etc.

Good luck.

Thank you Everyone! for all the help

Back