Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 43 »

Re: Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's even better when you get a large pod of willing fish all to yourself, with nobody else in sight! I know it's early and everywhere ain't in the game yet. But later season, Walnut will always be crowded, and it isn't the only game in town.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 13:56

From Other side of the tracks
Don't listen to him. Walnut, and specifically the project waters and Manchaser hole (the semi-circle jerk) are and always will be the only game in town. No use in fishing anywhere else, especially on Fridays.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 14:21

From NE OH
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Don't listen to him. Walnut, and specifically the project waters and Manchaser hole (the semi-circle jerk) are and always will be the only game in town. No use in fishing anywhere else, especially on Fridays.

Stop Sign hole is the full-circle.... Not that there is anything wrong with that

Posted on: 2013/9/23 14:26

From Ellwood City
So how much of a nightmare is this really? This is my first year fly fishing, and the steelhead runs is one of the main reasons I did. Just everything I read it sounds like i wont even be able to cast without catching a neighboring fisherman. I missed last weekend no thanks to a buddies wedding, spent the day saturday taking pictures in the rain thinking about how i wouldnt be able to make it to Erie the next day. I'm going this weekend just mainly because im anxious to get up there, and i know levels will be way down again and i dont expect it to be good, but when it is good, is it as bad as it sounds with the crowds? Or is just a few holes that get this wonderfully put "circle jerk" with other areas being more open but just holding far less fish?

Posted on: 2013/9/23 19:40

From Lancaster County
Quote:

Mucka wrote:
So how much of a nightmare is this really? This is my first year fly fishing, and the steelhead runs is one of the main reasons I did. Just everything I read it sounds like i wont even be able to cast without catching a neighboring fisherman. I missed last weekend no thanks to a buddies wedding, spent the day saturday taking pictures in the rain thinking about how i wouldnt be able to make it to Erie the next day. I'm going this weekend just mainly because im anxious to get up there, and i know levels will be way down again and i dont expect it to be good, but when it is good, is it as bad as it sounds with the crowds? Or is just a few holes that get this wonderfully put "circle jerk" with other areas being more open but just holding far less fish?

It all depends. The fish end up in pools when they can't move upstream readily. Then, fisherpeople swarm the holes. If water is up, fish will be on the move everywhere. And even if the water is down, there are pools that you actually have to walk more then ten feet to and pressure is lighter there. It's a contrived fishery in a somewhat unnatural setting after all. Don't stress about it too much; walk a bit and you'll have plenty of casting room. Be prepared for your fair share of jerks and also some really nice people.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 19:55

From NE OH
Best advice is to get up there, walk around, and get to know the place.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 20:09

From Ellwood City
Yea that is mainly what i plan on doing, i dont expect to get anything really, but i more or less want to get familiar with the area and the streams so I can do a little better when the season really kicks in just everything i read seems intimidating to a certain extent, but still very excited. For me a little walking is welcomed so its good to hear that i can still find some spots.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 20:21

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
There are PLENTY of places to fish up there. Literally about 10 fishable streams that you can walk around and find a good section to fish by yourself if you want. The longer the season goes the easier it is to find solitude. The key is being willing to go when the conditions are right because they can literally change every day depending on rain. Go up, get your butt whooped a few times and learn. Also check out the Steelhead JAM in the events forum. You can hook up with some guys there and they'll teach you a thing or two.

Also search some old threads on the subject here. There's some good ones from years past.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 21:14

From Erie Co.
Weather in the 70's this weekend will bring out throngs of area fishermen. tribs will be low and clear with hoards around the few fish to be found. That is my prediction. I'm going east to fish before the fall spawn.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 21:16

From Southeastern Pa
Before fall spawn?

Posted on: 2013/9/23 22:36

From Other side of the tracks
Mucka, I believe my description of the lower end of Walnut was fairly accurate and it would also apply well to lower Elk. But the rest was a joke.

You can always find a place to fish that isn't crowded. It just requires a little homework and a little walking.

Cept of Fridays when all the fish go back down stream to the lower parts of Elk Walnut, so no reason to even look beyond that on Fridays.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 7:07

From Warriors Mark, PA
Well, planning to make a trip up this weekend, usually make my first trip the first weekend in October, but this year I have plans the first two weekends, and plus, with my new job, it's been a very stressful past couple of weeks, and I haven't had much time to fish, so it will be great to get away, even to have a few cold brews while watching some football in my hotel room.

From what I hear, there ARE fish in the streams, its just a matter of getting away from the crowds, and finding a pod to yourself. Either that, or presenting your fly better than everyone else in low conditions. Also a matter of your opinion of "worth it" or "numbers of fish." I'm perfectly content and satisfied catching two or three fish in a day, but I know there are those grumpy old timer locals who will stand there and tell you how much better it was 30 years ago, and how they were supposedly hooking up every other cast when the fish were stacked so thick, you could walk across their backs.

Don't forget that tossing streamers into the lake at the mouths of the creeks can also be rewarding or challenging, did this last year, it is exciting to see a fresh chrome with fight take off with your fly and run for Canada.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 8:25

From Pittsburgh, PA
Assuming things are already low and clear already? Was hoping to run up tomorrow, but I'm thinking we need rain again and I should wait for more appealing conditions.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 13:45

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
http://www.unclejohnselkcreekcamp.com/webcam/

looks fairly low again, but not real clear.

Looking at the forecast, it doesn't look like it's getting better any time soon.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 14:11

From Pittsburgh, PA
Want to head up badly, but it just looks like things are a trickle again. Flow gauges back theory that up. Darn! I could have used a good sick day! ;)

Posted on: 2013/9/24 14:36

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 43 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com