Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 40 41 42 (43)

Re: Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

From Ohio
I was going to steelhead fish this weekend but decided to hit up some stockie streams and do a little pike and walleye fishing instead. This week should be good on the tribs..

Posted on: 3/30 15:20

Do the flies used between now and typical fall fishing differ? I've only fished them once during this time of the year.

Posted on: 3/30 21:13

From Warriors Mark, PA
Fished Saturday.. Elk was still high and muddy, but not blown out, Walnut was stained, had one missed hookset at Walnut, only saw one other hook up the entire time there. Moved over to 16 mile, finally caught one fresh fish by the falls dead drifting a streamer, only fish caught of the trip. I'd think we should be in business if the water warms up a little more and clears a bit, may make one more trip this season.

Posted on: 3/31 9:03

From Pittsburgh, PA
Slow day on an Ohio trib today. I smell like skunk. Water was up and chocolatey, which I expected given the levels on the big rivers

Posted on: 4/1 18:43

From Ohio
Beautiful day to be out on the water. Hit a few smaller OH creeks today since all the bigger water was blown out. Did good, went 5 for 7, but I covered a lot of water on multiple streams. Both old and fresher fish mixed in the streams.. Water level and color was perfect.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 4/6 19:38

From NE OH
My twins turned 10 yesterday. One of my daughters is a fishing fanatic. She's finally getting big enough to take out on the steelhead streams. She wanted to catch her 1st steelhead for her birthday. She landed 2 before 7:40am yesterday. About 10 minutes after that she was cold and ready to go home. So, we did, but she got her wish. It was a quick fun morning!

Attach file:

jpg  1975202_623364991076821_1291431496549579756_n.jpg (110.72 KB)
3679_53432584933e3.jpg 728X960 px

Posted on: 4/7 18:24

From Pittsburgh, PA
Awesome!!! Haven't put a fly rod in my daughters hands yet (she turned 5 2 weeks ago). But I'm eagerly anticipating it. What a wonderful memory to share for years!!!!

Posted on: 4/7 18:49

From Ohio
Very cool!!

Posted on: 4/7 19:08

From NE OH
Quote:

stal42 wrote:
Awesome!!! Haven't put a fly rod in my daughters hands yet (she turned 5 2 weeks ago). But I'm eagerly anticipating it. What a wonderful memory to share for years!!!!

I think she was 7 when she landed her 1st fish on the fly rod. She has a nice little Echo Gekko 5wt. She is pretty good with that, but the 10' 7wt is too cumbersome for her 49lb skinny mini frame to move line efficiently with. I had to help with the casting, but see is a pro at landing fish on fly gear.

The best part of the morning was some goofy young guy comes and stands right next to us to fish on an otherwise empty creek. She catches her 2nd fish, moved it right over and into the net in about 20 seconds (she really does get it).

The dude that felt the need to stand 20 feet from us catches a fish at right after her that was the exact same size and lets it drag him right in front of us (tromping through the run we're fishing) and on down the creek. All the while he is telling her what a great job she did. I explained to her that there is no reason to fish that close to someone else and that she should continue to control fish well just like she did so they don't run into areas other people are fishing.

If you can't tell, I get irritated when people crowd me when I'm fishing with my kid or even guiding someone with a kid. Hopefully I can teach her not to be rude on the stream. It's so tempting to say something to inconsiderate people, but it's not worth making a scene in front of my little girl. So, I just try to make it a teachable moment for her.

Anyway, you should be able to help your little girl land some stocker trout or even panfish on the fly any time. Kids do really well when they learn to land fish on fly gear prior to spinning gear. Casting just takes time and there is no reason to push it. They get it when they get it. I teach her what I can in time segments she tolerates, and let her walk away when she wants to. I enjoy the time with her and know she may not always be interested in fishing (but of course I hope she will always be my fishing partner).

Posted on: 4/7 20:16

From Pittsburgh, PA
It takes a lot of restraint to not say something to a guy who would walk in on a kid fishing. I really just don't understand people. I will fish bad water, before I walk in on "better" water that someone else is fishing. Maybe I'm too respectful, but it just don't understand why people feel that need to do that.

I think I'm going to take your advice and go catch some stockies with her locally on a fly rod so she can learn to land them. Up until now, she has only used a small spinning rod but thank fully she has been catching trout for about 3 years (caught her first at age 2) out of the local ponds and lakes. I can only dream of the day that she makes a steelhead trip with me!!!!

Posted on: 4/8 9:08

From NE OH
Quote:

stal42 wrote:
It takes a lot of restraint to not say something to a guy who would walk in on a kid fishing. I really just don't understand people. I will fish bad water, before I walk in on "better" water that someone else is fishing. Maybe I'm too respectful, but it just don't understand why people feel that need to do that.

I think I'm going to take your advice and go catch some stockies with her locally on a fly rod so she can learn to land them. Up until now, she has only used a small spinning rod but thank fully she has been catching trout for about 3 years (caught her first at age 2) out of the local ponds and lakes. I can only dream of the day that she makes a steelhead trip with me!!!!

It's hard to get the kids out for steelhead when they are little because the streams are swift and the conditions are usually cool. So, it's hard to justify putting them near deep fast water and then when you get them there, they get cold and want to leave in about 5 minutes. That's why I held off so long. But it was cool to she her handle a 24" fish like it was nothing. Their aptitude for learning is so great when they are young. Be patient, the time will come and hopefully you'll have a steelhead partner in the future!

Posted on: 4/8 10:11

From NW Penna
Great patience there Pat....
Not sure why many of those fellas up there have no respect for others, see it everyday..

Had a couple young boys come crawl into my back pocket one day when I was hitting fish pretty good.
Handed the rod over to them on the next few fish I hooked up on and helped make their day. Even got a little grilling from their dad when they showed him their fish (strigered) that they had landed. He wanted to make sure they had caught them and not mooched someone elses fish...

I got more enjoyment out of watching those boys land fish than if I had landed them myself..

Posted on: 4/8 10:13

From NE OH
Quote:

bingsbaits wrote:

Had a couple young boys come crawl into my back pocket one day when I was hitting fish pretty good.
Handed the rod over to them on the next few fish I hooked up on and helped make their day. Even got a little grilling from their dad when they showed him their fish (strigered) that they had landed. He wanted to make sure they had caught them and not mooched someone elses fish...

I got more enjoyment out of watching those boys land fish than if I had landed them myself..

I agree with you on that Bings. I would have done the same. In fact, any time I'm on the stream and a dad and kid come along, I offer up my spot all together. You and I don't fish where there are no fish, so I'm happy to give up a good spot for a kid. To me, it's a no-brainer. And I always do what I can to help someone who is obviously struggling along the stream.

The kid I was referring to was in his mid 20s.

Posted on: 4/8 11:03

« 1 ... 40 41 42 (43)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com