Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 43 »

Re: Steelhead 2013-2014 Thread

From lower burrell, pa
Thanks for the report. I am not heading up until next week for the Jam, but your post is one of the things I love about this Forum. HONESTY and willing to help others

Posted on: 2013/11/1 18:40

From Southeastern Pa
we were a the mouth for the entire day on thursday. we got there early and locked down the log jam. Fished well throughout the day until about 4pm then the high water made it down to us. The water spread the fish out and made us work a little harder but it also brought fresh fish in.

We had a blast and caught a ton.

BTW - Best Pizza in NWPA = Teresa's … HOLY BLEEP it was good!

Posted on: 2013/11/1 23:04

From Lancaster County
Here is my photogenic contribution from Wednesday. An interesting sidebar on the mouse steelhead:

I was fishing at the head of the Manchester Hole and a group of about six guys was spread out below me. The guy directly below me kept nailing me with his backcast and he kept saying "Sorry!". After the third time, I told him to watch his backcast, as that was the third time he hooked me. Shortly thereafter, I teased the steelhead into striking the mouse. As soon as I hooked it, one of the guy's buddies offered me a net, but I declined it. I eventually landed the fish and the guy's buddy came running up. He wanted to know if it was a trout. I said yes. He wanted to know if it was a brown trout. I said no. I told him it was a steelhead, basically a big lake-run rainbow. He wanted to know what I caught it on and I said a mouse. A mouse he said??? Yep. Then, he asked if I was going to keep it. I said no. I was going to release it. He pleaded with me to give him the fish, stating he was new to this and he hadn't caught any fish yet. He showed me his setup (egg sac) and wanted to know if it was ok to catch fish, which I assured him it was, if properly fished. He pleaded with me again to give him the fish but I told him I was going to release it, so he could catch it. It left me wondering if it is really that much of a perceived status thing to be hauling around a fish on the tribs.

To speak to the flossing/snagging/lining discussion earlier in this thread, earlier in the day, the first fish I saw caught after I got there was foul hooked in the back. The guy that hooked it played it like it was a fair hook and then proceeded to rope it, and trot around lower Walnut. I bit my tongue. Towards the end of the day, I saw at least two people chucking lead and it's somewhat of a dead giveaway that when you are fishing in pretty low clear conditions, you don't need more than a small shot. Anything bigger than that is designed to ensnare fish. Especially when you cast and lift up and cast again within two seconds. I was happy that neither snagger was able to snag a fish but wasn't exactly sure how they could possibly not, given the fish density. I guess 20% of the snaggers snag 80% of the fish..

I definitely believe steelhead do more than react to an offering. Several actively chased my leech and Crazy Charlie. One gunned down my mouse. It is of course entirely possibly to floss and line them too but to say that all steelhead are caught by snaggers is not my experience. It does remind me of a discussion I followed on Fisherie years ago, in which fly-fisherman were accused of lifting the fish, by floating the fly into the steelhead's mouth. Some contingent took up the cry of "Die, lifter, die!", which to this day is what my brothers and I hurl at each other, every time we hook a fish.

Direct link for those who are spared the scourge of Flash:
https://picasaweb.google.com/108467945 ... _9uJ__3gE&feat=directlink

Posted on: 2013/11/1 23:41

Fishin,when using the landing glove you would grab the fish at the tail,then you can remove the hook and release it or suspend it at the belly with other hand to take a photo.There is minimal slime removed with this method.
To estimate the weight of Steelhead take a measurement and subtract 20......29" minus 20 = 9 lbs.I find this to be very close estimate of the weight.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 1:43

so a 21 inch steelhead weighs 1 pound?

Posted on: 2013/11/2 3:29

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
a 29" steelhead is probably in the 7-8lb range. Most fish are 24-30" and will range from 6-9lbs depending on girth. A 12lb steelhead is pretty rare and those are going to be in the 33-35" range and most of those are 4 year fish.

The conditions in Erie right now look next to perfect. Depending on how much rain they get and how it falls tomorrow may be similar or even a bit better. Greenish tint, good flows and fish will be moving.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 9:23

From Erie Co.
Started raining at day brake. Let the dog out back porch was dry geared up and it started pouring like yesterday when I was leaving for work. It has been off and on all morning. Next week (thursday)I will try to post some pictures before everyone leaves for the weekend of conditions.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 10:09

From Warriors Mark, PA
Fished 16 mile all day yesterday, rained pretty steady all day, not exactly the "spotty showers" they were calling for. Water was stained and dark, but a lot of fish around, started in the lower section, amazingly, if you avoid the congregation of shoulder to shoulder people right at the falls and walk down, there are plenty of ridges and small divets that hold fish, found one and was sharing a lot of fish with two other guys, one on the far side, and a very nice disabled veteran new to fly fishing who I helped out a bit. Had many hook ups here, landed one steelhead, and one large spawned out hen brown trout both on white streamers (it actually seemed much bigger than it looks in the pick, this time, I didn't gill bang it either )

Moved up to the upper falls, suprisingly, not a lot of crowd up here, had several hook ups, caught two (one I took the hook out and it flopped and swam away, accidently foul hooked one as well). On the way out, met a very nice off duty guide, who shared some of his hot flies with me, and gave me copies to try to duplicate myself. Hoping to head up this weekend, if I can talk the lady into it.

Attach file:

jpg  16brown2.jpg (80.57 KB)
4964_52766f8547ade.jpg 622X960 px

jpg  16steel.jpg (116.63 KB)
4964_52766f93d09e2.jpg 907X768 px

Posted on: 2013/11/3 10:45

From lower burrell, pa
Nice fish even without the gill bang lol. I know there is going to be a group of wounded warriors up next weekend too, hope you'll make it up

Posted on: 2013/11/3 14:36

From Warriors Mark, PA
Thank you very much, really hoping to get up, of course, my lady is a spin fisherman, hopefully she doesn't lose too many points there.

On that note, maybe someone can help me out here. If I wanna bring someone who studies and works in PA, but isn't a bona-fide resident here, up to Erie to fish, I'll probably have them get a- 3 day tourist license. I take it that the tourist licenses include trout/ salmon and Erie fishing privileges? I ask because the Summary of Regulations handbook doesn't really say much about it, just "all privliges included", in the little table where they, yet in the online store, you can click to buy the tourist license, along with trout and or erie permits, and no error messages or anything come up.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 8:40

From NE OH
It's included

Posted on: 2013/11/4 8:47

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:

[quote]...When I fish by myself, I just move the fish over to a shallow area and jump down behind them and block them with my knees.

He doesn't just do that when he fishes by himself, and frankly it kind of freaked me out just a little bit.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 9:20

From NE OH
I could have just kicked it up on the bank.... Hey, I wanted you to keep fishing and I don't want to mishandle the fish any worse than the hook already in it. Another "famous" fisherman ripped me a new one once because I moved the fish too far up onto the gravel when I was landing it by myself (not that he offered his net mind you). It doesn't matter which way I do it....someone would have something to say. Live and learn

Posted on: 2013/11/4 9:51

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
I could have just kicked it up on the bank.... Hey, I wanted you to keep fishing and I don't want to mishandle the fish any worse than the hook already in it. Another "famous" fisherman ripped me a new one once because I moved the fish too far up onto the gravel when I was landing it by myself (not that he offered his net mind you). It doesn't matter which way I do it....someone would have something to say. Live and learn

I didn't feel that you were mishandling a fish, it just reminded me of a very off color joke that I used to tell that involving a sheep.

Posted on: 2013/11/4 10:39

From NE OH
You ain't right

Posted on: 2013/11/4 10:45

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 43 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com