Steelhead- what's with the color?

Acristickid

Acristickid

Never really put much thought into the coloration of a steelhead till recently.

What's with the color? They come in out of the lake nice and bright (picture 1) and after a period of time (picture 2) the get real dark.

Probably just their hormones for the spawn I guess. A protection thing getting dark, right?

Here's my questions:

1. How long does it take for a steelhead to get dark?? A week?? A month??

2. After the spawn- assuming one makes it that long, does it lose it's color if it returns to the lake?

Random fish thoughts.

Attachments

• Erie Steelhead.jpg
    Erie Steelhead.jpg
    981.2 KB · Views: 3
  • darkone.jpg
    darkone.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 3
Paul, the males will put on their spawning clothes after entering the stream. I think that how long it takes is variable based upon time of year, amount of daylight, stream temperatures, etc. I'm not sure, but it is probably the case that the females give off a scent that triggers the transition. New entrants may transition within days whereas males that entered back in September may have taken weeks to change clothes. Keep in mind, though, that I have no idea what I am talking about.

JackM wrote...
Keep in mind, though, that I have no idea what I am talking about.

Always a given with you Jack...
:lol:

I agree that males end up with more reddish coloring on them as they hit the spawning stage. I think the change towards dark is the difference of lake verses tributary water, also perhap water temp also as was mentioned before. If they make it back to the lake they will change back to the lighter silver color and repeat the same thing when they come back in the following year.

We hit the tribs three to four times a year from over here near NJ, and the winter run is always one of the best times to hit the Erie tribs. You find fresh fish and some so dark they are almost black in color from hanging in the trib for such a long period.

I think some of it has to do with water depth. When I fished out west and here to a degree, the rainbows I would catch that held deep were always more silver and the ones in rivers and creeks had more color...just an observation, not science.

Back