Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

State lands becoming the pets of politicians

Our lands. Keep your dirty filthy hands off!!

http://www.altoonamirror.com/opinion/ ... -traps-state-outdoorsmen/

Posted on: 1/12 9:32

Re: State lands becoming the pets of politicians

From Lancaster County
This is on point. Thanks for sharing acristickid. If people don't start voting, both at the federal and state level, for our public lands we'll soon lose them to the highest bidder.

Posted on: 1/12 12:08

"The rattler escaping the cold house,
the fluttering unknown gods that I nearly see
from the left corner of my blind eye, struggling
to stay alive in a world that grinds them underfoot" - Jim Harrison

From Granville
First we absolutely cannot keep losing public ground. Game lands can be used by everyone for a variety of reasons. That said, I don't totally understand the article. They don't explain what the "bad bills" are and the same people who are against the game lands wanted semi-auto rifles allowed for hunting? There are some glaring holes with missing info in this short article.

Posted on: 1/12 18:09

The article didn't explain things well.

Posted on: 1/12 18:10

From Granville
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
The article didn't explain things well.

Or anything, really. It was a pretty poor article.

Posted on: 1/12 18:13

From Lancaster
Let me clear this up for everyone.... state game lands are not being targeted as they are bought and paid for from revenues from license sales. They are not owned by the commonwealth.

PA state Forrest land is what certain legislative groups want developed into golf courses and water parks etc...

The game commission wants increase the license fees because they are broke and they are being pushed around by several committees but it has nothing to do with state game land.

Legislators are looking to generate move revenue to help the budget deficit by developing state Forrest land. Fantastic!!!!

Posted on: 1/12 18:28

From Granville
Thanks HopBack. I didn't get that from the article so I'm glad you're informed. And I STAUNCHLY OPPOSE that. The ample amount of state forest is one of the things I absolute love about PA. We have so much public land. I will fight that tooth and nail and through avenue that I know how. I am not only a very dedicated fisherman, but a backpacker/hiker, hunter, camper, and nature lover and that can't happen. In fact in 10 days I'll be heading out for a nice 30 mile one night hike. I don't want golf courses!

Posted on: 1/12 18:50

From SE Pa
I believe one should educate themselves on the process. Nothing can be gleaned from an editorial written by a guy with his own agenda, good or bad. Editorials by nature are highly politicized. My first reaction to the editorial was it is nothing more then an attempt at getting sportsmen to flip to the other political party. It really is that easy to sway the majority of voters. I read the house bill and did not see where golf courses will be replacing state game lands. I also did not see a vehicle that allows politicians to dice up state lands to the highest bidder.

For the record I do not believe any appointed position in govt. should have the authority to raise taxes or fees. That's the job of elected officials.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/l ... yp=B&billNbr=2083&pn=3593

Here's the bill. Read it for yourself and make your own educated decision. Anything underlined currently does not exist in the current law and is a proposed amendment to the law.

Posted on: 1/12 18:51

From Lancaster County
It's not an article. It is a letter to the editor, and a discoherent, poorly written one. That does not mean that the fish and game commissions are not facing issues, but it would be hard to figure out what they are from that letter.

Posted on: 1/12 19:19

From Lancaster County
Quote:

HopBack wrote:
Let me clear this up for everyone.... state game lands are not being targeted as they are bought and paid for from revenues from license sales. They are not owned by the commonwealth.

PA state Forrest land is what certain legislative groups want developed into golf courses and water parks etc...

The game commission wants increase the license fees because they are broke and they are being pushed around by several committees but it has nothing to do with state game land.

Legislators are looking to generate move revenue to help the budget deficit by developing state Forrest land. Fantastic!!!!

I believe it is state parks, not forests, that are proposed for development, unless the forest piece is a new wrinkle.

Posted on: 1/12 19:24

Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
It's not an article. It is a letter to the editor, and a discoherent, poorly written one.

Webster Dictionary

Discoherent(adj)

incoherent

Oh, OK.

Posted on: 1/12 19:30

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
While they are only acting like politicians in some ways, the Legislature and in the instant situation, Mr. Scarnati and his like minded colleagues seem to be growing increasingly imperious and brazen every time an issue like this comes to the fore.

I think it's time to let a little air out of them and remind them they serve at the People's pleasure and for the People's benefit and not their own. To that end, I'd like to see some serious consideration given to removing Pennsylvania from the list of states with full-time legislatures. There are only 10 or so states with full time legislatures and only four or so with the same bloated level of staffing and operating budgets that we have in PA. I think it is a bad situation where incumbency and the multi-perked nature of the positions have helped led to a nasty form of insularity between our reps and us.

Time to remind them they are elected officials, not hereditary peers..

Posted on: 1/12 20:36

From SE Pa
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
[quote]
I believe it is state parks, not forests, that are proposed for development, unless the forest piece is a new wrinkle.

Could you please refer us to the part of the bill that says state parks or forests are to be developed. I'm missing it completely. Again here is the bill.

Posted on: 1/12 21:22

From Lancaster County
Quote:

poopdeck wrote:
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
[quote]

Could you please refer us to the part of the bill that says state parks or forests are to be developed. I'm missing it completely. Again here is the bill.

I was responding to HopBack's comment, not your bill link. It was an idea floated a few years ago to get more utilization out of parks and it made it into a survey that DCNR ran for awhile, given to state park users.

But there are bills that were floated.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/b ... d=0&body=H&type=B&bn=2013

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/b ... d=0&body=H&type=B&bn=2188

Posted on: 1/12 22:15

From Lancaster
Looks like the bill has been voted on and defeated a few years back. Here is an article from my local paper. Link with details on the bill. Legislators will continue to look at our state resources as a means to increase revenues.

Posted on: 1/12 22:15

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Do You Have or Will You Obtain Multiple State Fishing License’s for 2018?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2018/7/20 10:51
4 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com