Spring Creek Today

Pwigglez

Pwigglez

Being that it is a weekday, I decided to fish one of the more popular sections of Spring Creek in Bellefonte. I arrived at about 11:15 and within minutes, fish were rising. I just bought a 10' 4wt in Lancaster on Saturday, so I wasn't planning on fishing dries. I started with a hare's ear lead fly and a frenchie trailer. I caught an average brown within the first 5 casts with the hare's ear. I picked another 2 or 3 brownies up over the next half hour or so on the hare's ear. I switched out the frenchie for a size 12 rainbow warrior and caught another 4 or so, alternating between the hare's ear and the rainbow warrior. By 1:30 I had caught about 8 trout. I moved up the riffle and switched to a vladi worm and a chartreuse egg. They couldn't get enough of either! By the end of the day I had caught the better part of 20 fish. Definitely my best day in months. On my new rod and entirely with flies I tied. (I started tying after Christmas) It was a beautiful day out, just had to share.

Nice job, especially on Day 1 with a new rod. Sets the tone nicely...

Did you buy a 10'4 from a smaller manufacturer or a big-name? How'd you like it compared to a 9'0 or whatever you were used to using...

Sounds like a great day! I wish I had been on the creek rather than in the office.

We stayed local today instead of going to Spring, because it was supposed to be so windy and colder... obviously that was a bad decision. Hahaha. Glad you had an awesome day!

DanL wrote:
Nice job, especially on Day 1 with a new rod. Sets the tone nicely...

Did you buy a 10'4 from a smaller manufacturer or a big-name? How'd you like it compared to a 9'0 or whatever you were used to using...

Its a TFO BVK. I paired it with a Redington CS 3/4 that I got in Lancaster as well. Everything balances nicely and the rod casts surprisingly well. I was using an Orvis Clearwater 9'5#, but the extra foot makes all the difference in the world.

Sounds like you had a really good day. Congrats on the new rod and breaking it in well.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
Sounds like you had a really good day. Congrats on the new rod and breaking it in well.

GenCon

Thanks. It looks like it'll be the better part of a week until its fishing weather again.

Back