Spawning trout in your area?

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Have you seen any trout spawning activity in your area? Pairing up? Redds?

I've seen nothing yet in SE PA.

Afish,

I was going to go for a walk to see if I could find any, but the flows spiked. I might go for a walk without the rod this weekend.

Veteran's Day I've found to be about time frame year after year - - give or take a few days. SE PA specifically.

Haven't been to any of the local streams lately, but I did catch two steel going at it in the tail end of a pool in one of the Erie tribs last weekend. Very odd this time of year...

A scattering of browns were just beginning to cut redds and pair up between 10/12-10/20 in virtually all of the better wild trout streams I visited in Eastern Crawford and Western Warren Counties when I was home during the period. Probably quite a few more doing so now..

This is in addition to (where applicable) the stocked fish that routinely swim around in circles and chase each other in the tailouts this time of year. There were fair numbers of them as well. I'm a little dubious that this activity produces many wild trout..

Water levels were good. If they stay that way, there might be a decent spawn and swim up later and perhaps a good year class on most of these creeks. Hope so..

How any what's in a scattering? What would an unfair number be?

I'm not sure I understand your question, Tom. But I'll take a crack at it anyway.

There were more than a few, but less than a bunch..

yep-season closed Nov. and Dec. .

Plan on fishing one more time tomorrow...Ahh, the last trip of the year..Weather looks good, can't wait...

Yes they are in Lancaster

season for what is closed in November and december

jimmy22sept wrote:
season for what is closed in November and december

Season is closed for thoughs who prefer not to fish over spawning trout..

teasing Tommy-he said in your area
Southern spotted seatrout season closed in my area .
not Tom-oops sorry for the smart A answer AFISH.

Saw a couple starting to pair up today on the Little Lehigh, looks like it's time to take a break. Guess I'll go hunting tomorrow instead of back to the creek.

season closed for people who don't like to catch fish? your loss.

I seen a bunch of them at valley last fri . But I didn't see any pairing .

Before the flooding rains they I saw them starting on Penns and Pine Creeks.

I haven't seen any yet, and I've checked out streams from Reading to Wilkes Barre, I think it's late this year, but I can't say why. Stream flows are good, weather is cool, but the leaves aren't down yet, that may be holding things up. Last year SE brookies didn't spawn until December. The year before it was mid-November. 2005 it was Novermber 1. Very odd, one would think that water temperature rules, and maybe it does, but it's been very cool and there has been plenty of water. Actually rainfall for the SE region is a bit below normal. It was about 4 inches down at the beginning of October.

I saw no sign of spawning at Valley this past week before the water came up. Like Chaz said, did not happen until December last year in the SE. I really don't recall the weather / temps this time last year.

Steve S. from FFP reports the spawning is just now beginning in Central PA.

Back