Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Spawning Suckers and Sucker Spawn - Some Thoughts and Observations

From Schuylkill County
great summary, FI. Here's a couple pics from late March 2009 along Spring Creek. Thru the trees you can see the suckers with the trout below, and the second shows it even better.

The trout would wait below the suckers, then every once in a while one trout would dash up and disrupt the pod of suckers as if to initiate some egg laying. It was quite interesting.

And that day Pcray was walking along the creek, not fishing, I pointed out the trout and suckers. I had no sucker spawn flies on me. He walked back to his car and brought me some flies to use. While he was there I didn't catch any, but did manage one later on. Kudos again to pcray.

John

Attach file:

jpg  image.jpg (182.84 KB)
137_5172836ce02b0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  image.jpg (168.95 KB)
137_5172837ef2a2c.jpg 640X512 px

Posted on: 2013/4/20 8:09
if you look at it right...

From Harrisburg
Dear JF,

Those are the cool looking "racing stripe" suckers. I caught one once in the East Branch of the Delaware on a big stonefly nymph that had to go 5 or 6 pounds, maybe more. It was a real bugle pussed slam hog!

I use sucker spawn a lot in the Spring but I only use two colors and both are tied with Aunt Lydia's rug yarn which is the original yarn used to tie the fly. Aunt Lydia's yarn is no longer made but you often see it for sale on Ebay. I'd have to read the labels on the yarn but the colors I use are pale yellow and a sort of golden yellow.

I have enough of the stuff to last me until I'm dead so if anyone wants a sample so you can look for the closest approximation of it at your local craft store send me a PM.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/4/20 13:07
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Landenberg, PA
great thread ! really informative.

it is weird that that the clump flies work for single eggs - an easier meal and more visible than a single egg maybe.

I have caught LLS on them up on the merrymeeting river in NH after ice out.

I always wonder if those suckers are destroying trout redds or taking the best spawning spots from trout but have not read anything about it.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 19:41

From Gettysburg
Some nice pics JF.

The whole spawning sucker phenom seems to really play out every year on Spring Creek. I see this everywhere but Spring Creek just about tops the list for watching trout feeding on sucker spawn in my experience.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 21:06

From Nazareth PA
Great thread. I always learn something on this board. :)
Thank you for sharing your knowledge guys.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 7:39

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From NE OH
I agree with you guys that like the single egg patterns as well. While I find the "Crystal Meth" sucker spawn to be very effective, by and large, single eggs are a mainstay all year long. There are a ton of factors that effect what colors of single egg patterns work well on a given creek. Tie a variety of colors. I find McFoam to be the best material for single eggs. It seems to shape-up nicer with the tiny patterns than Glo-Bug yarn. Also, I use the Daiichi 1100 series heavy scud hooks for my single eggs (and sucker spawn). Although you can go really small if you like, I rarely find going smaller than #16 is necessary (this series of hooks is heavy enough to use a #16 for steelhead no problem).

Obviously the necessary colors can vary with water conditions, but there are factors in the specific stream composition (type of bottom structure, stuff dissolved in the water (Fe, minerals, etc) ) that effects how light refracts in water and that in turn impacts how each color of egg looks to the fish in water. I fish one stream where I only catch fish on green eggs. Why green? Nothing in that creek is laying green eggs. Put another color on...nothing. Another stream I fish is orange or white. I have a couple of creeks dialed down to a specific shade of pink working better than another depending on water clarity or time of the day.

WHO'D OF THOUGHT MATCHING THE "EGG HATCH" COULD BE SO COMPLEX? But, when you think about how picky your troots can be when casting dry flies for a specific hatch (size & color variations for a specific stream), eggs really shouldn't be any different. In AK they use a ton of trout beads to chase char, rainbows, & grayling behind spawning salmon. You should check out the color and size selection of the beads available. And I can tell you from experience...there are days up there when specific size and color actually mattered.

I guess the big take away from this is that learning to fish any stream for any given species is a long process. It can take a long time to get to know these subtleties (and they are dynamic through the years), and that's why you see the "older" guys around here having what seems like effortless success all of the time. Yes, presentation is king, but as you have all observed, sometimes what you present matters a lot. And the best news is, the only way to dial it in...GET OUT AND FISH! When things are not going the way you want, take a chance and try something different. That is how you learn.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 8:01

From LV
Been seeing spawning suckers for about 3 weeks now. It seems like it is late, am I correct.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 9:17

From LV
Quote:

geebee wrote:

I always wonder if those suckers are destroying trout redds or taking the best spawning spots from trout but have not read anything about it.

By this time of the year nearly all trout have hatched and are probably swim up fry. Though I don't soubt there may be an impact it is probably not a major issue, remember brookies co-evolved with suckers.
I've often wondered about the impact of browns on brookie spawning, they dig up some ofthe same areas that brookies redd up when browns spawn. That to me is a big issue, but I've never read anything about it.

Posted on: 2013/4/21 9:22

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com