Southcentral streams?

J

johnN

Looking for some feedback on Conococheague (east of Chambersburg) & Mountain Creek.  Reports, current conditions, suggestions of good areas.

Thanks

John

Isn't tht the Conocacheague that flows through Caldadonia St. Park? I have done well there years ago, however I think that its pretty much put and take through there.

Nice stream.

Thanks. Yes, flows thru Caledonia ST Pk. Put & take may be the order of the day. Trying to get someone else started too. Want to take advantage of the opening day in eastern side of the state.

JohnN

Mountain creek is one of my lacal streams it recieves a lot of fishing pressure and the stosked fish are usually taken out rather quickly. There are a few wild brookies and browns but not enough to keep me interested. I do fish the upper section above laurel lake when the other streams are closed. This section is open year round and only recieves in season stocking. Your best bet for opening week would be the section between Laurel lake and downstream to the campground.

Dear paw-paw,

Did they dredge Laurel Lake this winter like they planned to do and if so is it filled back up with water yet?

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Hi Tim
I have not been over to laurel lake since January. At that time it was drained but it did not look like they had started the dredging yet. So I don't know what it looks like now.

I fished Mountain for the first time last August above Mt Holly Springs Lake along Route 34 and caught a bunch of stockers that late in the season. I also caught 34,679 chubs ;-).

No wild trout for me but my fishing partner did score one or two wild brookies.

That is what I am looking for now. Looks very scenic too. Thanks. John

Mr. bamboozle,

I was an avid trout fisherman who practiced catch and release untill I moved to Florida. I read many of your comments regarding class A trout streams and I can tell your most informative and knowlegable on trout streams in Pennsylvania. I am back in Pa. for a month and am very excited about trout season opening this week. Can you tell me any areas that are decent trout fishing in near Carbon county(Lehiegh Valley exit) that arn't to populated. I was going to fish at my grandmothers in Carbon county near Hickory Run State park but, the early season cut off is Carbon County.I would be most appreciative and would be in debt to you for at least one nice dry fly or Rooster Tail, lol.

SINCERELY,
PATRICK

PPIN2WIN@YAHOO.COM

Mr. Patrick:

I have some bad news for you; I was fishing in Hickory Run State Park yesterday and EVERYTHING was high including the known streams AND the tribs. There is STILL a pretty decent amount of snow on the ground up there so while they are fishable; be prepared for more snow melt and fast water.

If you are looking to avoid crowds; my opinion would be to stay in Carbon County or go other northern counties Special Regulation Areas since my GUESS is; the hoards will descend to the lower counties on Saturday. You MAY want to cross reference the Special Regulation list with the stocking list because many of the northern county Special Reg streams haven't been stocked since last year and the fishing can be SLOW.

You could legally fish Hickory Run from Saylor Lake Dam down to the mouth and if you head above the Park Office; you will probably be alone and fishing legal until you get to Saylor Lake Dam.

The Mud Run Special Regulation section while open; hasn't been stocked since last October and the section from Hawk Run to below the Turnpike is fishing very slow.

You could also do some exploring on the smaller streams in Hickory Run State Park. If the streams are NOT on the list of Approved Trout Waters; they are open to fishing but you can NOT keep any fish. Be forewarned that many of those streams are very small, (as are the fish) and also very overgrown and particularly treacherous to walk or wade with the snow pack.

Then again there IS the Little Lehigh Fly Fishing Only sections a short drive away. My convoluted logic says that early in the morning of Opening Day you should have the place to yourself with most fisherman out in other places. My guess would be later in the day as they get frustrated they would show up to soothe their bruised egos.

Have fun!

I've fished Mtn Creek since I was 4 years old. I'm 48 now. We have a cabin up there. The biggest trout I've taken out of Mtn Creek was a 24 inch Brown back in the mid 80's. Did get a 20 inch rainbow last year. Both above Laurel. If you really want a challenge go to the General Store above Fuller Lake and then down to the creek. Go upstream from there. Beautiful water and tough fishing! Real challenge if you like one. In the summer I use small terestrials ants etc.... and the trout smack em good! Just stay low they spook easily.

Hey! You hush up! That little stream delighted me more than once last year and not much competition either. Sounds like we fish it the same.

Back