Sometimes it just aint about numbers or size

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

This weekend I went up to Sullivan County to celebrate my brother in law's 40th birthday. His family lives on a little farmette outside of Dushore along with his father and mother in law. Its a nice property and it has a tributary to the Little Loyalsock flowing through it. When I was up there around Easter time, I spent a lot of time trying to find brookies on the stream with no luck. I don't know if they didn't move up from the Little 'Sock yet or what, but they weren't in the stretch I was fishing. Anyway, my brother in law and his F.I.L. were anxious to find out if any trout actually existed in this stream. With all the party festivities and whatnot, my fishing time was cut down, but about 20 minutes before dark I was able to get away and get down to the stream. It was VERY low, but was running at a cold 62 degrees. I found one deep hole that I knew had to hold fish. I was fishing a white wulff w/ a green weenie dropper, and at first all I was catching were chubs (my favorite). Finally, it was getting too dark to see. In one last ditch effort, I cut the green weenie off and chucked the white wulff up against a tree root that was hanging over the pool. Bam. A nice 10" brookie nailed the fly. I landed it, took a ****-poor picture of it (bad lighting!), released it and ran back to the party to show the picture to my inlaws. That one fish got them all kinds of excited. My brother in law is not a fisherman at all, but he told me he just likes to know that the trout are there. Glad I could reassure him ;-) That brookie is by far my favorite catch of the year!

I look forward to going up there this Fall when flows are better and finding more trout. I did some exploring of the creek yesterday morning and found some very promising spots.

Cool story!

Exhibit A of why I say that on small streams, just a dry often outfishes anything with a nymph on it. With a nymph, either attached or alone, you were not sending that nymph so close to the tree root. The fact that you cut off the weenie to accomplish it tells you that. But with the dry alone, you threw it there, accurately, with no fear. And were rewarded.

Cool story. I know if there are more there, you will find them!

Back