Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Something to think about?
From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear fritz,

Please give me one good reason why other than, because.

While you are at it name one other thing that you pay a modest fee for at age 65, as in less than 2 years worth of the going rate, and get to use until you are dead?

Regards,
Tim Murphy

I returned to you Tim becuase you asked....I say let them have the license at 65, I'm not even sure what the age is...but it must be too low for the age these days. I think it is a reasonable reward for seniors seing that thye have to pay the same as I do for school taxes even though their kids are out of school for twenty years.

The thing that surprised me the ost about what Tom Posted was the county by county breakdown in 2006. Holy crap!, Allegheny County was #1, number 2 was York County (31,000). Yet we got slashed with second stocckings, and Philadelphia County was a mere (18,000) and are getting all the fish. Something is fish in Denmark.

Whatever, just will be more fishin for me with no crowds in the future, once this friggin snow stops. April 7th...well, upstate they have not even had opening day yet.

maurice

Posted on: 2007/4/7 21:27

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
Hey Tim and jack try living on disability, and have to pay for a lisence...ah no grocerys last week to buy a lisence...i think seniors deserveit, but i also think lawers should pay double since 100% of them are crooked....just my 02........

I favor the lifetime license; when (if) I reach the appropriate age, I'll buy when for certain.

Posted on: 2007/4/7 22:18

From aliquippa
I have no problem with the senior license and i don`t believe it has anything to do with drop in sales, its the same situation with hunting, more and more kids just aren`t interested in fishing whether its a situation at home with no one to take them fishing or what ever,i think the fish commission needs some sort of campaign to get kids interested, i know, then they would say that it would cost them to much money and they don`t have enough employees to do it......just my two cents

Posted on: 2007/4/8 0:18

From Dallastown, PA
They are thinking of a new program to get kids fishing....it's called charging them. Thye wan't kids to pay $5.00 so they can get another $3.50 from the Fed.

So it's kind of ironic that you say .....
Quote:
more and more kids just aren`t interested in fishing whether its a situation at home with no one to take them fishing or what ever,i think the fish commission needs some sort of campaign to get kids interested, i know, then they would say that it would cost them to much money and they don`t have enough employees to do it......just my two cent.

...when it is exactly the opposite, instead of encouraging them to fish and it costing too much. They want to charge them so they can get more money to feed the machine. So they are not doing it for the kids after all...

Maurice

Here is a thought...and I have not checked the numbers or feasability but, what about a family license? For instance. How many husband and wife combos fish? sure you'd lose the spouse 's full license amount but say instead of $22/person, you make it $33/family plus stamps. Then they'd get +$11 for each one with kids 12-15 yrs old. Folks would buy it just cause they have kids thinking they'd take them fishing once or twice. The whole family could prance aroound the state park lakes with license holders pinned to their bodies...flapping int he breeze.

Seriously, I believe the number of spousal licenses bought would be FAR less (way more than two times) than the numbers of Families bought.

You could even include Gramps in the senior license since they don't have to pay anyway.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 8:15

From aliquippa
Maurice, that is an excellent idea, so that means the fish commission will never consider it..... lol

Posted on: 2007/4/8 9:19

From Southeast PA
I don't think it's accurate to say that the baby boomers will be that much better off in retirement than previous generations, considering health care costs, possible reductions in social security, etc.

I agree that the dropping license sales are probably much more related to fewer kids getting involved in fishing than to seniors who get lifetime licenses. If you do away with the senior licenses, you're just going to have another segment of the population that will be more likely to give up fishing. Is this what we want? Well, maybe it's what Tim's buddies who think they are freeloading and taking all the fish want, but it's not good for the sport as a whole.

What struck me about the number of license sales was the relatively few senior lifetime's. So it really isn't that big of a factor.

And as far as the youth license fees, what is the PFBC thinking???!!!

Posted on: 2007/4/8 10:20

From Greensburg, PA
So they sell about a million hunting licenses...and about 700+ thousand fishing licenses...what about a combo license like most other states sell. Its costs a buck or 2 less than separate (like buying a combo erie/trout stamp). A lot of guys will just buy the two-fer and save a trip. I bought the Erie combo last year and never even got up there.

BTW I'm not in favor of the kid license and I like the senior license...I was merely saying you can't say that giving a break based on age is wrong unless you do it at the lower end too. As the part I quoted in the other post suggested.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 10:33

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
I don't think it's accurate to say that the baby boomers will be that much better off in retirement than previous generations, considering health care costs, possible reductions in social security, etc.

Not to mention the pensions that are being renegged upon and no longer being promised in the first place...Unless you are a state legislator of course.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 10:36

From Southeast PA
What young people forget is that whatever they take away from seniors they are taking away from themselves in the future. And the future will get here MUCH quicker than you think, my young friends!

Posted on: 2007/4/8 10:42

From Harrisburg
Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
What young people forget is that whatever they take away from seniors they are taking away from themselves in the future. And the future will get here MUCH quicker than you think, my young friends!

Dear Wulf-Man,

Is horse poopie a word that I can use? I sure hope so.

The kid will never outstrip the old people, don't let them kid you.

I know that is what they do, but it's bullsh*t.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/4/8 11:43

From Southeast PA
Tim,

I think horse poopie is a bit strong. I'm not sure who outstrips who. Since I'm not in either group, although I was in one and will be in the other, I don't have a horse in this race right now to do any poopie, but I don't see why this has to be another "us against them" issue. It just seems petty in a way. The fishing fee issue, that is. I don't know about who has the upper hand over who on the grand scale because I never really thought about it, and I don't want to get involved in a debate over that. Actually, that seems kind of petty to me too.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 12:27

From Enola, PA
I like the idea of the lifetime senior license but i think there should be a few modifications.

namely that the trout and lake erie stamp should not be lifetime. i dont think it is unfair to require a small modest yearly fee to help out the PFBC.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 12:53

uhh...nevermind

From Ohio
I'm 32. The fact is that most seniors live on a fixed income that does not get adjusted for inflation. I think that things are fine the way they are......

I think generational politics will be an incresingly large issue as there is a smaller poupation of working young people per retired person to serve as a tax base. But come on, having fishing liscence fees be the flashpoint of this arguement is kind of ridiculous.

Lets talk Medicare and Social Security.....two things I highly doubt will provide me the same measure of support that they provide my parents.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 12:54

If you fish for trout and C&R you have no impact on the trout stocking, therefore there should be a reduced fee stamp for C&R and let the keep and kill crowd pay for the stockies with a higher priced trout stamp.

Posted on: 2007/4/8 14:07

Webmaster
Guys,

I have to say this thread and a couple of others have moved out of the gray area and across the line lately in many of the comments. I don't mind the topics, but I think I need to remind everyone that the purpose of the board is to be a positive contributor to the Pennsylvania Fly Fishing community. It's all in the approach and you don't need a jack hammer to drive in a nail.

This website is here to help foster a shared interest in expanding our knowledge, experience and most importantly our enjoyment for Fly Fishing in Pennsylvania. Humor, ideas, debate, and opinions are encouraged. Deliberate insults, personal attacks, and lewd comments are not welcome for any reason.

I admire many of you for your ability to tackle the topics and the passion in your convictions. But, this is the kind of community I would want my son and my father to visit. A place for all of us to be proud of what we believe in, but even more in how we convey it. I challenge all of you to take the higher ground in your approach.

Just remember what David St. Hubbins said in the movie Spinal Tap, "It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. "

Dave

Posted on: 2007/4/8 19:14

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com