Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Something interesting about Montana

From Portage, PA
Tied some hoppers up for my supervisor for his trip to Montana, have to get brownie points some how.

They are experience some extreme heat out there. He told me that the stream was shut down from 2pm and later out there to protect the fish from stress. I thought that was a pretty cool idea. I doubt that PA would ever regulate the waters like that.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 10:47

Re: Something interesting about Montana

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
It happens fairly often out there. Some of the tailwaters stay open however due to the temperature regulated by the release.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 11:07

From Dauphin PA
They don't stock so they have to protect the spawners. Yes, it's a cool idea but what would be an even cooler thing is every angler regulated themselves instead of being selfish. Take the temp...if it's approaching 70, pack it in and find something else to do. (cut the grass, golf, eat an entire sheet cake and then nap).

Before the day's of internet, I'd leave at 3 am, drive 3.5 hours to the Beaverkill or Delaware only to find them blown out or super low and warm. Turn around, drive to gas station, call FFP. Levels were fine so I'd drive 3.5 hours to spring. Fish and drive 2 more hours home at 11 pm.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 11:48

From Philadelphia
I thought better of my post original post as it had the makings of screwing up the OP's thread.

So let me just say, it would be great for either state or self regulation.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:00

Edited by Foxgap239 on 2013/8/29 12:16:26

From Clearfield
Average high temps there are higher than here in the summer. If you were to go to MT now you would be surprised how dead it looks. Everything is brown.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:20

The call those closure's after 2pm "Hoot Owl Restrictions"

Also some rivers, like the Beaverhead and Big Hole have regulations on which sections can be floated by guides on certain days, what sections can be floated by out of staters, etc. Designed to alleviate pressure and congestion.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:33

From Portage, PA
Interesting, hope to make it out there some day. He told me they were having great success on hoppers and purple colored nymphs.

He told me the water was cold, and that they streams were fed my the mountains, some of which have snow.

Interesting how Montana views fish compared to PA. I imagine that since they are wild not stocked they make more of an effort to protect the trout, as Krayfish had noted.

Would love to do a combination archery elk hunt and fly fishing trip. Makes for a lot of gear to carry though.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 12:50

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Interesting how Montana views fish compared to PA. I imagine that since they are wild not stocked they make more of an effort to protect the trout tourism industry, as Krayfish had noted.

fixed it for ya....

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:08

From Dauphin PA
Tomi,
Just about everything is motivated by money or to get a woman. LMAO.

I've probably got a little more extreme view than most....if there is a water in PA that is sufficient to carry wild fish year-round (or does carry wild fish)....catch and release with very limited harvest (1 fish per day 12-18"). Also, no additional stocking of hatchery fish. The state could harvest eggs from wild fish in Letort, Spring, LJ, BS, etc and raise them to fingerlings before placing into rivers to boost wild stock.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:23

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Tomi,
Just about everything is motivated by money or to get a woman. LMAO.

I've probably got a little more extreme view than most....if there is a water in PA that is sufficient to carry wild fish year-round (or does carry wild fish)....catch and release with very limited harvest (1 fish per day 12-18"). Also, no additional stocking of hatchery fish. The state could harvest eggs from wild fish in Letort, Spring, LJ, BS, etc and raise them to fingerlings before placing into rivers to boost wild stock.

IF there is a stream in PA like that? There's a bunch of 'em.

And I believe the only reason there aren't thermal refuge regulations here in PA is because the PFBC isn't strong enough to implement it. The issue has been brought up to them before, ands recently too, and they came out with some long-winded reasoning why it's not right for PA, wouldn't work, blah, blah.

Oh and Kray, I'm sure you forgot to add that you would do all the driving just to find a fishable stream long before the days of $3.50/gallon gas too!

Posted on: 2013/8/29 13:37

From Portage, PA
I think that there would be mass anarch and chaos if people were told what times they were allowed to fish on top of the other regulations of where and what tackle they can fish with in our state.

All be it that most restrictions are put in place to protect trout, many anglers of today look at the money they pay for a license, instead of looking at protecting the resource. Sad really, Many would feel "cheated" out of fishing time that they paid for with their license fee and would raise holy war if this time was restricted, whether or not they would even fish during these times, they would complain.

I would vote yes if there was a question on if these types of regulations should be put on streams during the hot summer months.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:11

From Ephrata, PA
Remember, it would just be for trout Mike, and the regulations would probably not effect MOST put-and-take trout fisheries that are loaded to the gills on opening day. How many avid trout fishermen are there outside of the fly fishing community who fish for trout year 'round? Some, but not many. I really don't think these regulations would lead to mass chaos.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:20

From Cambria County
I don't believe I've ever seen anything about water temps and their effect on trout put out by the PFBC. Not that I've looked all that hard. If more people just knew the facts about it, things would be better. I stopped at the Little J one evening to fish and talked to a kid about it. He and a buddy were putting their kayaks in where I was taking a temp and asked me why I would do that. It was 68 so I decided to skip out on fishing. The two guys were spin fisherman and said they've never heard of thermal stress. So sometimes it may not be ignorance as much as just never having been told.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:35

From down the block from the Letort.
Basis for my remark is that from what I understand/assume, no I have not Googled up the digits, the amount of dollars fishing tourism brings into the state of MT probably dwarfs that of PA. If not in raw revenue, then most definitely as a slice of the total tourism dollars pie. Other than fishin' or huntin' or Yellowstone or Glacier, why would you go to Montana? So, yes the trouts are the reason for the touristas and their wallets and I don't disagree with protecting them, but if the fishing tourism wasn't such a huge industry/chunk of revenue out there, I doubt these regs would be enforced or even in place as they are. Are there similar regs in CO? or Cali, or Idaho, Utah, Oregon or WA?? Michigan or NY? I'm sure they also all have issues with warm trout water someplace in the summer time.

And also from what I understand, these regs are in place on only a select few blue ribbon streams/rivers, most notably around Yellowstone. Trying to do something like that in PA would be an administrative and enforcement nightmare in an already strapped system...may as well just close the season in late June like the good old days.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 14:39

From LV
I wonder if there is any scientific evidence for closing those streams in MT? I think it's over the top.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 18:03

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com