Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Some of you would be proud of me.

Some of you would have been proud of me this afternoon. I had chosen to fish a section of a small stream. At one point, two young guys drove past me and stared at me in the creek. They then parked no more than 100 yards upstream, waded in, cutting me off. When I got there, the lower of the two young flyfishermen looked at me and said something unintelligible. Instead of ranting, I merely told him that I wouldn't have done to him what he did to me. He lied to me and told me that he hadn't seen me, after having stared at me and having passed my truck. I repeated myself, then turned around and left for another piece of water. I did not get into a nasty confrontation as I once might have; I guess it's just not worth it any more. I won't fish over the weekend, which is to offer up lovely weather, in an effort to avoid any further incidents. I guess I'll wash my filthy truck.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:19

Re: Some of you would be proud of me.

From Pittsburgh
I would be even more proud if you told everybody what stream it was.
Just kidding...

I think, even if they were belligerent today, they likely won't do it in the future. Sometimes confrontation makes people dig their heels in... what you did probably will make them think about it next time the situation arises.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:21

From Mont Co, Pa
I doubt it, guys like that don't usually change their MO. Just saying.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:29

I would not have said that someone jumping into a creek 100 yds ahead of me had cut me off. 100 yds represents a lot of fishable habitat in small streams in most cases. Leap frogging up the stream is pretty common practice among anglers.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 20:17

From LV
But if I were going to fish that stream and I saw RRT there, I would have asked to fish along side or gone elsewhere.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 20:26

From Parkesburg
100 Yards huh? Is this some kind of new etiquette rule? Would it have been better if they were two hundred yards away?

Posted on: 2013/3/8 20:39

From Ferguson Twp.
100 yds doesn't seem that bad to me, pretty respectable distance really. On the confrontation issue, good job.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 21:46

100yds is crap if no one else is around.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:08

It really depends on where you are at.

On a crowded stream, like the Little Lehigh or Yellow Breeches regs area or Penns Cr during the drake hatch, or steelie fishing on Elk Creek, 100 yards may seem like a reasonable distance, because there are a lot of people sharing the stream.

In a rural area on a very lightly fished small stream, with other lightly fished streams nearby, with miles of stream around with no one on them, 100 yards is WAY too close.

Suppose you go to a stream that has 5 miles of water, and there is only guy fishing on the whole stream. Would you go 100 yards above the guy?

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:22

From Ferguson Twp.
In my mind I was thinking it's the only stream nearby.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:28

Agreed, the etiquette is subjective and dependent on the water. There are some streams where about 35' is appreciated and others where being within sight of one another is way too close. I typically have no problem telling guys if they are too close. Sometimes people need reminders that they are being jerks, and im there to call them on it when I see it.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:51

From Dallastown, PA
Wait a minute....they waded in 100 yds away and you approached them and said something....that's rich! Literally.

But you said yer piece and took your ball and went home. At least you got a clean truck out of it. Look on the bright side.

I gotta say Rich that if they were young and they spooked you off the water that they laughed and laughed over the moment. And probably in their truck on the way home said numerous times...I wouldn't have done to you what you did to me...then laughed and laughed.

You let them win. handed them the game.

My guess is the un-intelligible thing they said was something like "I don't have any change old man"

God, there are so many captions for that photo.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:53

Edited by Maurice on 2013/3/8 23:22:10

From New Castle, PA
100 yards is a lot of water between you. I don't see the problem. It is public water right?

Posted on: 2013/3/8 23:13

From Gamehendge
Throw rocks. Make arrant casts towards them. Yell obsenaties at them. Lol just kidding. But that's kinda lame. Your the only person on the stream an they don't have the common curtsies to ask weather your fishing up stream or down. An jump in right in front of you. If I can see another angler... That's to close. But then again I don't fish much water that sees more then a few anglers a month.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 23:41

On the stream I was fishing, it takes, perhaps, 10 to 15 minutes to cover 100 yards of water. I figure a 2-hour fishing distance would be at least a half mile when there are not many other anglers out. I think what Maurice and others have said points out a problem with today's fishermen: They really don't seem to recognize appropriate fishing distances on various streams, perhaps unintentionally, perhaps boorishly. If the flyfishers in question did as Maurice suggested, then I would certainly have to classify their behavior as boorish. For those who believe that 100 yards is a lot of distance on a small rural stream, I guess that guys who tell me that today's anglers have a completely different perspective than we older guys have are certainly correct. I really would not have done to them what they did to me. When I left and went elsewhere to fish, I drove about 2.5 miles to get to another stream section: I did not go home, so I guess they didn't "win" as was suggested.
I am not so naive as not to realize that on some popular streams that 100 yards between anglers is appropriate. I prefer to avoid such places.
I guess I am surprised how many people think infringing on others on the water when it is unnecessary is appropriate.
Actually, my original post was kind of a brag about not getting into a real confrontation by merely telling the guy that I would not have done to him what he did to me and then leaving for another spot.
Oh, well, after tomorrow I'll have a clean truck for a couple of days.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 23:49

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com