Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Some of you would be proud of me.
From Dallastown, PA
Rich, I am sorry I just found humor in the whole event. Knowing your character from here, young carefree kids with fishing poles and picturing the scene, it made me giggle.

Seriously though, things like this happen to me too but I have found the serenity to chuckle to myself and walk away because I am fortunate to have the knowledge of other options nearby, as you did.

The point is that you are proud of yourself that you didn't confront them but you did. They got to you...and you let them.

I just can see this guy shaking his fist in the air.

A sense of humor goes a long way in these situations.

I am gonna fish a special reg area tomorrow and I am sure it will be packed. I hope to talk with some folks along the way. And maybe fish a few spots They will likely pass over.

When I came upon those two I would have politely asked, Which way you fishing? and if they said upstream (they way you were headed) I would have said well then I guess I'm done.

Enjoy your weekend

Posted on: 2013/3/9 0:10

From Pittsburgh
For sure, acceptable stream etiquette differs from stream to stream On spring creek, 100 - or even 50 - yards between fishermen is very common.
That's just the way it is now. But there still seem to be plenty of fish for everybody.

In rrt's sitution, I would have just moved to another stream section, I mean, life's too short to get into a shouting match over something like that IMO. It is just fishing, after all.

What I do find a bit puzzling about rrt though - is that, I believe from his posts, he's retired now. He can fish whenever he wants to. If someone is in one of his favorite spots, he can just go back again tomorrow. When that happens to me, I often have to leave, and drive 3-4 hours back home to put in my 40 hours again. And can't get back out there for another week or 2.
So, you still have a big advantage over most of us Rich!

Posted on: 2013/3/9 8:16

Edited by dryflyguy on 2013/3/9 8:36:26

From South Central PA
I don't expect much out of people. I am rarely disappointed.

Probably wouldn't let something like this ruin a day on the water. Simply would have viewed it as a chance to leapfrog and see some other water.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 8:44

DFG, Well yes, I am retired, and being able to fish when I want to is one of the very few advantages of being old. And, yes, I'll probably try to fish that stretch next week when the weather permits.
Maurice, I guess I don't think that stuff like I described is funny. I think it points to the increasing deterioration of etiquette along streams. I did go to another stream section, though, and the only run in I had there was with a herd (too big to be a flock) of geese.
Anyhow, I am surprised that people accept this type of human behavior as the norm along the stream nowadays. It is certainly much different from when I began to fly-fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 9:26

From Shrewsbury, PA
Without knowing this stream, I find that 100 yards between anglers is quite a decent space. If the stream does not have good fish holding areas, well then 100 yards may not be adequate.

I fish behind anglers many times, especially on streams where there is an abundance of fish holding areas. Many times, I will politely ask them what they are using and fish something different based on time of year and potential bug activity and I am fortunate to catch fish.

I must be lucky in that I rarely run into an angler that I feel would be crowding me. In that rare event, I will ask them where they're headed and go the opposite way. For me, it's not about having to always catch fish but enjoying the momment.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 9:33

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

rrt wrote:

Anyhow, I am surprised that people accept this type of human behavior as the norm along the stream nowadays. It is certainly much different from when I began to fly-fish.

If not accepted what are we to do? Fist fight over a section of stream? Give classes on how not to be an ahole on the water, like Bob says " the times they are a changin" and I don't think there is much we can do. I know several retired guys who don't go near the water on weekends, they go during the week and have the water to themselves almost exclusively, cause everybody else is still working. What I mean to say is if this happens to you alot could be a good option, If this is an isolated incident blow it off as a couple of kids who have not walked the face of the earth long enough. And you get an atta boy for holding your temper. Just remember one ahh sh_t wipes out 100 atta boys.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 9:49

From OH
Appropriate behavior, ask which direction the person is fishing and give lots of space.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 10:21

From Ferguson Twp.
I'd hit another section or go somewhere else before following directly behind another angler. I tried that before, I realize everyone fishes at their own pace but this dude had concreate shoes on.

Fishb you changed your comment on me, finding out direction and space is good.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 10:30

From Shrewsbury, PA
Fish,

Entering downstream of an angler isn't always appropriate. Some anglers fish streamers and swing wet/soft hackles. I'll sit on the bank and watch their movements if I defintely want to fish that area. Lv2 - I will admit to fishing a certain run or small section of a stream for quite a bit of time if I know that section is a good fish holding area and that based on my past experience, I can catch multiple fish from that section.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 10:39

From Ferguson Twp.
Yes, good point. This happened when the children were younger and every minute wasted was like an hour to me.

Posted on: 2013/3/9 10:43

I am not certain that there has been any change in angler behavior along trout streams re: acceptable distance between anglers. In 50 years of trout fishing, 54 years of fishing for a multitude of species, and nearly 37 years as a fisheries professional with exposure to probably a few thousand anglers over that time, I have never heard anyone suggest, remark, or complain that stepping into a stream to fish for trout (or any other body of water to fish for any other species) at a distance of 100 yds from another angler was somehow a violation of the original angler's personal space. I thought that I had heard nearly all of the possible angler complaints, some reasonable, some not, but that is a new one for me.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 12:44

From Harrisburg
Gotta agree.
It wouldnt have made my day and those cases cause me some frustration but 100 yards? I've certainly been jumped on numerous times at a much closer distance than that.
It always seems that this time of year when everyones itchin to get out that circumstances like this are more likely to happen.
I drove over an hour yesterday to fish a stream with other anglers in it and ended up going up a trib to catch my only fish.
I was very happy just to finally be out in comfortable weather.

There was a time when streamside ettiquette wasnt at the top of my list either.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 13:45

From OH
Entering stream trailing other fly fisherman or not at all. (Should have been included in first post).

Posted on: 2013/3/10 14:59

I think that in #26 above I should have added that this concern is an interesting one to me and that I wonder how common it is within the fly fishing community. I'm never too old to learn.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 15:20

Here's an extreme example, just to show the point. Suppose you're out west and there's a trout stream with 25 miles of good fishing water, with a road paralleling it, and you drive along there for miles, and see no one fishing. Then somewhere in the middle of that 25 mile stretch, you see one guy out there fishing, working his way upstream.

Would you start fishing 100 yards above that guy?

Of course not. You use the available space.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 18:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com