Some more reflections on the benefits of fly fishing

BelAirSteve

BelAirSteve

Some of you might recall my posting from a couple of months ago, in which I reflected on how fly fishing brough me some much needed therapy during a difficult time when my Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers disease. At the time, it was a necessary escape, and provided me with some quiet time...some "me time."

I am happy to say that Mom is now in an assisted living facility, settling in very nicely, and is doing very well and receiving the 24 hour care she requires.

I have a brother that lives in State College, and although he did (and does) as much as he can, I am geographically much closer to Mom. Throughout these last few months, fishing has also brought me and my brother much closer. We talk every day, and likewise we fish more often together than we have for 20 years. We talk about Mom of course, but we also talk about fly tying, patterns we are having success with, plan our next outing, etc.

And one of the unintended consequences is that Mom LOVES to hear about our fishing trips. She doesn't remember much, and one of the blessings of this otherwise dreadful disease is that we can tell her the same stories frequently, and they always bring a smile to her face.

And this forum has brought me a lot of company over the last few months. I try to contribute as much as I can, and intend to do so more now that I have the time.

Thanks,

Steve

That is awesome to hear that. I too use my fly fishing as therapy. I have twin boys with ADD and ADHD issues and it can be very stressful. When I can sneak away for even a few short hours to the local stream, It is good therapy for me. Calms me down and gives me the quiet time I need to unwind
Steve

Fishing instead of drinking...cannot say much more on that topic :) . I think fly fishing is a great release... I am not sure if this has to do with fly fishing but my blood pressure is almost perfect, at least thats what my doctors say. I am not a little guy but I think my frequent hikes along streams and just general time spent outdoors helps to alleviate stress but also provides some great excercise to keep me somewhat healthy.

Belairsteve, It's great to hear your mother is in assisted living and she is getting the care she needs. My grandmother is also in an assisted living facilitY. While I am not the person directly responsible for my grandmothers well being I see what my father goes through and it has to be really stressful.

Thanks Steve. Here's wishing the best to your Mom and many good days on the water.

Well i missed your original story but i am very glad to hear your mother is doing well in the assisted living facility.

As for fly fishing - put me in the club that uses it as therapy as well. I cant say i have the stresses some have mentioned (sick mothers, children with attention issues, etc.) but i do have my stresses (grad school can just be barrels of fun sometimes). What really helps me relieve that is hitting a stream. Sometimes I do it alone, get away from everyone, and just fish and enjoy nature.

Other times I love the company of an old friend. My very close friend and i went last summer on a 2.5 week trip across the west. We forgot everything and just enjoyed fishing. It was just what we both needed.

And recently i have been teaching my friend to flyfish. Watching him catch his first fish on a fly rod (a largemouth out of a local pond) brought more joy than any fish ive caught recently.

Thats why i love flyfishing - it offers so much. You can never master it - there is always some technique to learn, fly to tie, new species to catch. And passing it on to someone else is always a pleasure. I owe Family Tyes everything for introducing it to me 14 years ago (cant believe its been that long!)

Good to hear, steve. Much luck to you on the water.

Steve

A nice heart warming store, I wish the best for your Mother. My family had to deal with the same thing with my Mother, it's not a easy thing to deal with.

The best for you and your Mother.

Get out there and do some fishing when you can!

PaulG

I have an aging mother also. Thankfully, right now she is doing exceptionally well and quite independent at 78. Of course, that could change in the blink of the eye, but I am thankful every day for her health and happiness.

Another fly fishing story -- I have a friend, a Vietnam vet who came back from the MeKong Delta in the early 1970s, scared by war and addicted to alcohol, LSD and a hodgepodge of other drugs. His life was spiraling badly when, on a whim, took up fly fishing in the mid 70's. He became consumed with it, and with the help of rehab, used fly fishing to replace his destructive vices. Eventually, he was able pull himself out of the abyss. He attributes fly fishing to saving his life.

In fact, he's one of the best fishermen I've ever met.

Back