Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Soft hackles

From A-Town
When fishing soft hackles what kind of rigs do you use? Single fly or multiple? Split shot?

Posted on: 5/13 16:14
There is a war going on. The economy is crumbling. The environment is in jeopardy. Good innocent people are suffering all over the world. We had to do something. We had to get involved. But we decided to just go fishing.

Re: Soft hackles

From Benton, PA
Single. I just feel as though more than one is just unfair!

Unless I fish for perch. Double rig them guys all day long.

Posted on: 5/13 16:36

From Malvern
If I am using a sort hackle fly I will normally drop a bead head from it, about 10 to 14 inches

Posted on: 5/13 16:38

I go both ways. I will use a larger nymph as the leading fly and trail with a smaller soft hackle.

I also use a soft hackle as the leading fly and use a small nymph as the trailing fly. I love WD40's or RS2's as the trailing fly.

Posted on: 5/13 18:33

From Hershey
Traditionally soft hackles have been fished in 2s and 3s but there isn't a wrong way to fish them.

Posted on: 5/14 6:12

From Harrisburg
Dear Kelso,

I usually use 2 or more soft hackles. Most times I have a nymph as the point fly. The nymph is usually a beadhead nymph of some variety so that the rig has a little weight to it.

If more weight is needed I will add very small split shot or a few turns of Twist-On lead strip.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 5/14 6:16
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Pipersville Pa.
I usually use 2 flies. 1- dark and one light. For example if there are sulphurs and small dark caddis around. I would use a partridge and yellow or some other sulphur type wet fly as the point and a size 16 Mothers day caddis. A deadly combo. It is not for trying to catch 2 fish at once. But to see which are more active. If I am only catching fish on one of them I sometimes switch to just one fly. I will add a bit of wt. if needed. Depends on water depth and speed.

GenCon

Posted on: 5/14 7:14

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

Two flies (the max in Maryland). I'm more likely to add floatant to the top fly than I am to use shot, although I sometimes do that, too.

Posted on: 5/14 7:24

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
2 to 3 flies with dropper loops, sometimes with a weighted nymph as the point fly. I use a 8' Fenwick 6wt rod for a lot of my wet fly fishing, I think the softer rod just works good swinging flies.

Posted on: 5/14 8:27

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From SEPA
When I am searching I will use 2 flies, usually a bead head and an unweighted soft hackle about 12 inches down from that. During the evening rise I will use 1 fly, that's all that is needed.

Posted on: 5/14 8:56

Beeber, so you tie the beadhead onto your main line and then the wet fly as a dropper tied from the bend of the beadhead?

Posted on: 5/14 9:11

From SEPA
timmyt, that is correct. I do tend to catch a lot more on the dropper.

Posted on: 5/14 9:52

From Bel Air, MD
I almost always fish them by themselves, drifting, then swinging. I have caught more trout using this method than any other fly (except the wooly bugger of course!) The tend to hammer it hard just as it starts the swing. Makes a dink feel huge...at first.

Posted on: 5/14 20:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com