Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: So what is exactly open?

pfbc: "The current regulations are not intended to encourage fishing for any species during the closed season even on a "catch-and-release" basis, but it is not illegal to fish as long as the fish is immediately returned unharmed to the waters from taken. Anglers who target a fish during the closed season could potentially harm the fish and would then be liable for violating the closed season regulation."

You absolutely can't keep a fish offseason. Fish Harm in the First Degree :)

But I never keep fish, and just fish streams with zero stocking this time of year.

I really dont think some overzealous WCO is going to ticket me for accidently harming a fish in barbless catchNrelease fly fishing given the language above. (I seldom even take fish pictures, I put them back so fast.) In the very unlikely case that I was cited, I might plead guilty to Fish Harm or ask for a hearing and bring the langauge above. So it's not a problem..

And at least for small remote brookie streams, I seriously doubt that normal fishing pressure is a threat to fish populations, so these are sensible policies.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:52

Edited by k-bob on 2013/3/11 9:25:36

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:54

From Monessen, PA
The terminology of "downstream areas" has nothing to do with the closed season. All ATWs and only ATWs are closed March1 through Opening Day. If a stream is ATW only between designated boundaries, you CAN fish upstream OR downstream of the boundaries. "Downstream Areas" is relevant only in defining where you can harvest during the Extended Season.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 8:56

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Correct.

As easy as it can be put:

If it is ATW, it's off limits. If it's not an ATW, you can fish on a C&R basis.

My point is that there's this mistaken notion out there that ATW means the areas that are stocked. It's true that the ATW tag is applied only to stocked streams. But it's not true that it only includes the sections of those streams that are stocked. Even some class A's are ATW's because the stream is stocked elsewhere. Whether or not it's stocked, check if it's LISTED as an ATW. If it is, you cannot fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 9:26

From Camp Hill Pa
I asked the warden yesterday, if this was approved trout water and he said yes, but it's closing season at midnight 2/28 until opening day, he didn't even think about issuing a warning, I told the guy I feel stupid for not looking into this, I fished this same spot about 3 weeks ago, when I went home I had to go thru several pages until I found where it states that the season is closed on ATW, it kinda makes me feel like I'm driving down a rood without any speed limit signs, the more I think about, I drove a 5 mile stretch and there's no signage of this creek stating "closed season" until opening day. This is wear they would say read you pa fish book for the regulations and rules, I really never winter fished until this year so I learned a valueable lesson.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 10:59

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, ATW's only occasionally have streamside posters, usually not. If you're interested in fishing, you go to the PFBC website and find out if said stream is on the ATW list in the county you'll be fishing.

Wildbrown, you're lucky he didn't confiscate your license. I think they can do that if they want.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 12:02

I try to remember to just keep away from stocked waters this time of year. I once hiked to a tiny trib to fish for brookies this time of year, and met a wco as I was walking out near the bigger (stocked) stream. I explained that I had only fished the little trib, and he was really nice about it (and I was carrying a 6' 2w that no one would fish on a big stream). Still, I'd rather avoid even the appearance of being near a stocked stream with a fishing rod this time of year.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 12:46

From Perkasie PA
I fished a "FFO" stretch of a Lehigh Valley stream yesterday (you can probably figure out which one) which was pretty damn crowded but had an awesome mix of BWO, Midges, and even some Caddis coming off, with a decent amount of fish looking up. You shouldnt have to drive far.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 13:30

From LV
The operative word is there are no closed seasons, just seasons that don't allow harvest, but it is a gray area. Any stream that is ATW is closed to fishing during the March 1 to opening day period, except those streams and lakes list as ATW open all Year. And they are adding streams to that list.
Additionally all special regs areas are open all year, but the harvest season changes.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 14:23

From Wilkes-Barre
Okay, now that I'm confused, again, by this topic let me add one more twist. Are multiple fly rigs, such as a dry/dropper, legal to use at this time?

Hank

Posted on: 2013/3/16 1:26

From Lancaster County
Quote:

fly_N_ice wrote:
Okay, now that I'm confused, again, by this topic let me add one more twist. Are multiple fly rigs, such as a dry/dropper, legal to use at this time?

Hank

Why would they be illegal any time of the year? This really isn't all that confusing. You can fish anywhere, except ATW, and if you want to avoid confrontations with an overzealous WCO or deputy, I'd avoid upstream or downstream sections (although you would probably have a legal argument that they are open). If you immediately return all fish to the water unharmed, you are in compliance. If you creel a fish, you've broken the regulation. If you accidentally kill a fish, you also have broken the regulation. You can fish with whatever setup you want, provided you aren't fishing in a special regulation area that prohibits it (I.e. fishing bait in a FFO area).

Posted on: 2013/3/16 11:46

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com