So they're not closing...

klingy

klingy

Whether you see this as good or bad news, it appears as though the two hatcheries slated to close next year will stay open...at least for a little while.

Link.

Wow!!!!! Strong evidence of this program's popularity among constituents.

Interesting - thanks for the heads up.

Can't please everyone, two thumbs down.

That's good news to me.

maybe the programs they are looking at are the elimination of health benefits and pensions since they represent 80% of the shortfall.

No, I think what you will see is a merger between PFBC and PGC. PGC has a ton of Marcellus lease $ - if they don't find some way to spend it, the legislature will try to find some way to spend it. I'm sure none of us would mind if some of our lakes that are getting drained would get fixed with that Marcellus money.

Chaz wrote:
Can't please everyone, two thumbs down.

I can't belive I'm agreeing with you Chaz.

Mixed feelings. Though I am a big proponenet of wild trout and wild trout fishing, I also realize that stocked trout are worthwhile in streams that cannot sustain wild trout for various reasons. I hope they do not allow these hatchery fish to be stocked over significant populations of wild trout.

I usually try not to get involved in debate but here it goes. The above article once again shows that the Commission is more concerned about keeping it's good standing in the community at large than doing what is economically and environmentally right. The entire system of stocking trout is antiquated to say the least. I know stock trout are necessary in some waters but mostly only in waters that cannot support trout. What's wrong with warmwater species anyways. I think smallies and rock bass are pretty cool. The PFBC does some really good things but their mindset is stuck in 1955. Not that there was anything wrong with 1955 but it's time to move on. They need to educate the public and really get educated themselves. I am sorry some jobs will be lost and others will have to relocate if hatcheries close down, but it is about time we stopped this madness. True sustainability lies with wild fish and anglers who admire their wildness. Thanks.

PARA

Meh. We keep kicking the can on everything further down the road. When will we as individuals, families, states, and the country sit down and face the economic music that is sounding?

Very True

That is very similar to what Director Arway stated in his last Straight Talk article. To bad he does not have a Board of Commissioners that feels the same. Why would they? It might be unpopular.

Glad to see the John Q Public stand up to big brother and let their voice be heard.

Every company has had to trim their workforce and do more with less.

PAFBC should be no different.
Too many big boys collecting big bucks at the top to do nothing.

Mike wrote:
Wow!!!!! Strong evidence of this program's popularity among constituents.

No doubt!

I know you know this, Mike, but being partially funded from the PA general tax fund will certainly lead even more meddling by the Pollies! :-o

You may even have to submit your stocking schedule to the House for their approval...:lol:

bearfisherman wrote:
No, I think what you will see is a merger between PFBC and PGC. PGC has a ton of Marcellus lease $ - if they don't find some way to spend it, the legislature will try to find some way to spend it. I'm sure none of us would mind if some of our lakes that are getting drained would get fixed with that Marcellus money.

I heard this same thing about a week ago.

What will the legislators want in return for the general fund (tax revenue) money to bail out the hatcheries?

They will want continued stocking in good wild trout streams in their districts. And the PFBC will be in a position where it will be even more difficult to say no.

It will be interesting to see where the budget hawk, "small government" people come down on this issue. :-o

The only way I can see this being resolved is for the 2 agencies being merged with DCNR and then using Marcellus money to fund the mega agencies, all 3 have infrastructure issues out the @$$. But the bigger question is still where to stock fish. We've got to be writing to the Commissioners saying to stop wasting stockies on wild trout water. And include Legislators in the conversation too.

Dear Board,

The State should stop raising trout period.

There should be perhaps 3 hatcheries in total. Their purpose should be to produce fish to repopulate waters such as lakes that have been drained for repairs or streams that have been damaged due to environmental events like train wrecks or fuel truck spills.

Nature would do the repopulating over time but having a few hatcheries would allow for the stocking of several year classes of fish, and that would expedite the restoration of damaged or drained waters.

Barring that why not save money and allow license holders to drive right to the hatchery and collect a daily limit of trout in a 5 gallon spackle bucket.

You would eliminate the expense of trucks and fuel and the people that actually keep those pasty tasteless things would still be able to get their fill.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Go to the grocery store if you want farm raised fish in your freezer.

Back