HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: So they're not closing...

From Nazareth PA
Quote:

bearfisherman wrote:
No, I think what you will see is a merger between PFBC and PGC. PGC has a ton of Marcellus lease $ - if they don't find some way to spend it, the legislature will try to find some way to spend it. I'm sure none of us would mind if some of our lakes that are getting drained would get fixed with that Marcellus money.

I heard this same thing about a week ago.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 7:22

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

What will the legislators want in return for the general fund (tax revenue) money to bail out the hatcheries?

They will want continued stocking in good wild trout streams in their districts. And the PFBC will be in a position where it will be even more difficult to say no.

It will be interesting to see where the budget hawk, "small government" people come down on this issue.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 8:22

From LV
The only way I can see this being resolved is for the 2 agencies being merged with DCNR and then using Marcellus money to fund the mega agencies, all 3 have infrastructure issues out the @$$. But the bigger question is still where to stock fish. We've got to be writing to the Commissioners saying to stop wasting stockies on wild trout water. And include Legislators in the conversation too.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 9:15

From Harrisburg
Dear Board,

The State should stop raising trout period.

There should be perhaps 3 hatcheries in total. Their purpose should be to produce fish to repopulate waters such as lakes that have been drained for repairs or streams that have been damaged due to environmental events like train wrecks or fuel truck spills.

Nature would do the repopulating over time but having a few hatcheries would allow for the stocking of several year classes of fish, and that would expedite the restoration of damaged or drained waters.

Barring that why not save money and allow license holders to drive right to the hatchery and collect a daily limit of trout in a 5 gallon spackle bucket.

You would eliminate the expense of trucks and fuel and the people that actually keep those pasty tasteless things would still be able to get their fill.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/23 9:39
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Philadelphia, PA
Go to the grocery store if you want farm raised fish in your freezer.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 10:00

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Meh. We keep kicking the can on everything further down the road. When will we as individuals, families, states, and the country sit down and face the economic music that is sounding?

Listen, the commission's decision to close the two hatcheries was one I applauded, despite the fact that they were doing it for the wrong reasons. It was never about proper fisheries management, but there was hope that the closings might push management in the right direction, as a matter of necessity.

The whole "need" to start cutting budgets and spending is just part of a disturbingly successful movement by politicians to slash programs that benefit middle and lower class americans, whether those programs are recreational, infrastructure related, healthcare, unemployment, etc (the stuff your tax dollars are intended to pay for) while preserving tax benefits, subsidies and economic and legislative advantages for the corporations which drive the entire process.

It's a euphemistic pill that the public is swallowing all too easily, happily turning against their neighbors near and far instead of focusing on the ever-increasing incoming inequality in this country which just keeps getting fed by the general public's willingness to fight amongst itself over scraps.

The fact that they've decided to keep the hatcheries open? Also not about proper fisheries management. Rob from the PAFBC's operational budget to pay for budget increases for healthcare and pensions? Why not. It's not like there's a multi-billion dollar gas extraction industry in the state that we could be taxing properly to provide ample budgetary funding for the needs of the PAFBC.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 10:33

Edited by greenlander on 2013/3/23 11:00:51

From Butler, Pa
To everyone saying throw out the stocking program, let me ask this: without the stocked trout program would you even fish today? or did you guys just pop out of the woom and slay wild fish and wild fish only. Without the stocked trout program I feel like overall the fishing in PA would go down. The fact is that some of the wild fish have come from hatchery raised fish naturally reproducing. I know of 3 streams that are on the stocking report that havent been stocked in 3 years and frankly I dont care but for the past 3 years I've seen 40-50 people easily make 1 hour plus drives and park campers stream side only to come home the next morning and not catch one damn fish. If I hadnt fished for stockies I prob wouldnt have picked up a fly rod, and had the desire to get educated. Just my .02

Posted on: 2013/3/23 14:38

From Harrisburg
Dear Marvin,

I'm not going to lie, I grew up fishing for stocked trout. Thats was all there was where I grew up in the Philly suburbs.

But that doesn't mean that we have to continue down the same path forever just because that was how it was done in the good old days.

There are many streams that are stocked with trout that would still have fish in them and be worth fishing, they just wouldn't necessarily be trout.

I started out flyfishing for bass and panfish and I flyfished for years before I ever caught a trout on the fly rod. I still enjoyed myself though.

Unfortunately, people have grown accustomed to having trout stocked for their use and convenience. I personally don't think that is the best policy to follow for a number of reasons.

Besides the economic reasons I think that given time streams with adequate water quality are perfectly capable of developing their own trout populations.

That can and does happen when upstream areas are protected and water quality improvements are made to downstream areas. Fish can and do then move in. That has happened to many streams that I am familiar with.

The key to that happening though is for people to recognize and appreciate wild self sustaining trout populations, and that can't happen when the mentality promoted by the State is that trout come from white trucks and buckets.

That is my opinion and I don't expect it to be shared by everyone. However, if maybe one or two people realize where wild trout come from and they in turn tell one or two people it will snowball. Eventually, there will be no need to stock fish just so people can haul them home to sometimes eat and sometimes throw out.

That's my dream anyway.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/23 15:13
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

StarvinMarvin wrote:
Without the stocked trout program I feel like overall the fishing in PA would go down.
I'm OK with that.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 17:12

From Butler County
I see both sides of the issue. Those of you from central PA and east, are blessed with numerous wild trout waters and better water quality than what we have in the west. If we had numerous wild trout waters here in the west that were getting stocked over, I would probably be upset too.

While I am all for the wild trout movement, here in Western PA we just don't have the aquifers necessary to produce wild trout. Without the stockies, we just don't have trout fishing here - with a few exceptions. And agree or disagree with it, stocked trout fishing will continue to be the only program that many people will buy a license for.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 18:19

From harlansburg
" If we had numerous wild trout waters here in the west that were getting stocked over, I would probably be upset too. "

we do, and they do.
more wild trout around than you think

Posted on: 2013/3/23 19:11

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Yes! More Lightning Trout!

Posted on: 2013/3/23 19:25

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Butler County
I know there are, and I fish them. My point was that they are not as numerous here as further east, and the majority of trout anglers in Western PA have never seen a wild fish, even by chance.

And I understand the habitat point too. I have been working on improvements on a local stream for a couple years now, and I don't think it will ever be a great trout stream even with making improvements. Just not good enough water quality and quantity.

Posted on: 2013/3/23 19:27

From State College
We dont want the lightning trout to become more rare!

Posted on: 2013/3/23 20:43

From Butler, Pa
my view point is the same as bearfishermans, thats all im trying to say

Posted on: 2013/3/23 22:54

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com