Snitz Creek Microbrewery - Lebanon, PA

wgmiller

wgmiller

I have no association with this establishment whatsoever, but saw on the local news the other day this place opened. Looks like the owners have been bitten by the fly fishing "bug" and carried it over to their microbrew. I plan on making a trip to visit them in the near future as they just opened. If you're in the Lebanon area, stop in and show some PAFF "love"!

http://www.snitzcreekbrewery.com/

Yeah, I heard them interviewing one of the owners yesterday on a local radio station. First micro brewery in Lebanon Co. I am planning on stopping in when I get in the area. Sounds like they have cranked out some award winning IPAs over the past few years.

I drive through there a few times a month. Looks like a place to try.

Read the description of their beer. Very heavy refernces to trout fishing. Looks like a good place to stop and visit.

-1 for their description of their Brown Trout Stout, named after the "native" browns in the brewery's namesake. Aside from the name, the beverage itself sounds enticing, as does the Woolybugger Black IPA. Heck, they all sound worth trying for that matter.

This one:

Line Breaker Double IPA
This is the strong one...the fighter that got away. This double IPA was brewed with a much larger grain bill in order to significantly increase the alcohol content. We were able to achieve our goal while still maintaining the balance of malt and hops that our beers are becoming known for.

salmonoid wrote:
-1 for their description of their Brown Trout Stout, named after the "native" browns in the brewery's namesake. Aside from the name, the beverage itself sounds enticing, as does the Woolybugger Black IPA. Heck, they all sound worth trying for that matter.

I caught the misuse of the term "native" as well.

I still wouldn't mind trying their brewery when I'm in the area. I'll compare it to Elk Creek Brewery.

BrookieChaser wrote:
salmonoid wrote:

I caught the misuse of the term "native" as well.

I still wouldn't mind trying their brewery when I'm in the area. I'll compare it to Elk Creek Brewery.

Yeah, minor deal for me but I sent them a note anyway. Even more interesting is that there was not a microbrewery in Lebanon. A long time ago, I think Lancaster County had the highest number of breweries of all the counties in PA. Given the German heritage of the region, I'm surprised that Lebanon had zero in recent years.

salmonoid wrote:
-1 for their description of their Brown Trout Stout, named after the "native" browns in the brewery's namesake.

Just a short matter of time until they got busted on that one. I'm willing to let 'em slide if they have good beer! :pint:

I noticed Joe Humphreys uses the term "native brown trout" in his book "Trout Tactics". I thought Joe would know better.

I saw that as well when reading through their site, but was too busy focusing on the beer :)

If you check out their Facebook page, their tap handles are fly rods/reels.

Snitz Creek Brewery

You know... instead of a guitar player they should have someone in there tying flies. :)

They do some pretty good work! I'm hoping to work some business with them this year or next- nothing like good, local brew on the water!

They first caught my attention with these AWESOME tap handles:

SnitzCreekTapHandles.jpg

It sure beats a surfer theamed brewery. I saw their logo painted on the building and thought it was neat but did not know they were actually going with a full-on fishing theme.

As for the definition of native, when I was growing up, we called any stream born trout a native regardless of species. Calling someone out for using "native brown trout" makes you sound pompous.

I love me some wild natives. correcting someone for the wild/native thing only does one thing: it shows everyone else how desperate you are to look like you know something IMHO.

^ Yep, I'm sure that's why Salmonoid sent them a note on the subject.

I know it's the same reason I brought up the PFBC funding to you after reading your letter in the "House Bill" thread. I didn't do that to help your cause and make sure the elected official you were communicating with, who probably already knows the agency's funding, takes you seriously.

First saw them at Brewfest this past spring. The tap handles caught my attention. The Brown Trout Stout is very very good in my opinion.

I will be checking out the brewery soon.
On a related note. Has anyone fished Snitz?

troutpoop wrote:
On a related note. Has anyone fished Snitz?

Yes. The more freestone like headwaters holds Brookies and there’s a few “native” Browns further down. The lower sections are ATW and get pounded…lots of tents near the bridges around opening day. There’s quite a few sizable limestone springs that contribute to it, so I always think it should be a nicer stream than it is but such is the case with nearly all of the Lebanon Valley streams.

Squatch and I got kicked out of one such un-posted section once where a significant limestone spring enters it and almost doubles its flow. I almost let myself get drawn into a debate with the lady about posting her land if she didn’t want folks fishing it, but in the end I should have asked permission first, despite it not being posted. It was below freezing that day, and the water coming in from the spring was 52 deg…

I’ll definitely be trying the brewery since I’m so close, but I’ll probably fish elsewhere.

Back