Skunked on my first 2013 outing!

steveo

steveo

Unless you count suckers and a very pretty pumpkin seed. It's been years since that happened. On the plus side I saw 6 deer, 3 mink, and some very cool birds so it was still a good day outdoors.

Fishing the wrong stream...I guess you were on the Tully.

Sounds to me like you had a pretty good day.Congrats on that and on realizing it. :)

steveo wrote:
Unless you count suckers and a very pretty pumpkin seed. It's been years since that happened. On the plus side I saw 6 deer, 3 mink, and some very cool birds so it was still a good day outdoors.

You recognized the good in being out, rather than dwelling on not getting any trout. That's a big plus. We'd all rather catch fish, but should be able to enjoy our outings when we don't.

Good for you and I hope your next outing includes some success.

BINGO. Rick you nailed it. Didn't feel like driving today.

Hendricksons are coming off on the other creek.

Thinking I should give up fly fishing and take up trapping. That other creek would be the Manny?

That was not a hard guess.

I stepped in a trap once on the Manny.

I hooked into two monsters on the Tully on Sat., one spit the hook after about a 10 second fight and the second I must have fought for at least ten minutes before my fishing buddy decided to help me land it and all he did was spook it and it broke off.....it was quite possibly the most beautiful and strongest fighting trout I've ever hooked in PA, looked like a rainbow you'd find in the San Juan. The way that thing fought and the coloring it had makes me think it's been in there for a couple years at least.

Rick if you would be up for an outing let me know .

Hey Fred , fellow brownliner , how ya doon? Seveo.........are you sure those mink weren't river otters or fishers or wolverines....don't sweat the skunk it happens to all of us. You'll get twice as many next time out. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hey Fred , fellow brownliner , how ya doon? Seveo.........are you sure those mink weren't river otters or fishers or wolverines....don't sweat the skunk it happens to all of us. You'll get twice as many next time out. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Got 13 of the 19 trout I hooked up with to accomodate my net Sunday. Lost 6, which I had never done before. BH Pheasant size 12 or 14 worked great.

P.S. If you call it practice you never get skunked. :lol:

Yes will be. What is your schedule?

Got skunked as well. I would cast my nymphs upstream and by the time i had picked up my tip to get the leader in line they were already past me. I lasted 45 mins before partaking in other recreational activities. It was my last trip up to trout camp for some years. I will be taking my son out from now on. Even though I did not land a fish, I had a great time living it up with the family and just being in the mountains. maybe the high roaring waters were what i needed to just relax and focus on spending time with the guys, and trout camp that I wont be seeing for quite a while. Looking forward to upcoming opening days with the little guy now!

At least you got some pulls, not the first and won't be the last skunking for any of us. You're right still a good day.

I got the skunk sat, but I dropped one saw osprey very close up. Sunday fished a small stream saw a pileated woodpeker and 2 PR of wood ducks and caught 6 stocked brookies. Its the whole experience.

Back