Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Signs of Spring

From Landenberg, PA
I saw water boatmen on the pools in my back yard creek, does that count.

Posted on: 3/8 16:37

From North East PA
Springtime view of Lake Wallenpaupack up here in Northeastern PA.

Attach file:

jpg  Lake Wallenpaupack.jpg (145.88 KB)
5814_531bc045e1692.jpg 640X427 px

Posted on: 3/8 20:14

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

We're on our second warm spell and the yard is still all white. Spring? Bah humbug! Death to the groundhog.

Posted on: 3/9 10:15

From Landenberg, PA
I was working on restoring my back yard creek again today - although not as warm, I saw two small stoneflies and in the deep culvet pool I saw a few #22 olives come off.

Under the stones I saw some cased caddis and in the stone moss where I expected to see scuds there was nothing moving.

Water temp was 40F which I'm sure was down to snow melt - there was some green clover weed pushing up in the riffle sections, and some kind of large wrapped leaf thing pushing up on the creek banks here and there.

The thorny vines were also showing some growth and the Deer were out in the late afternoon sun grazing the newly open fields . Hopefully they will no longer need to browse in the creek and the bank work I repaired will get a chance to bed in and the meanders and undercuts develop further.

I guess spring is still two weeks away ?

Posted on: 3/9 20:53

From Clinton County, Pa.
I just saw my first sign of spring today, a flock of robins! It can't be long now. This has been a long winter.

Posted on: 3/9 21:15

Here in Venangoland, it still looks more like mid February than early March. My brother's pond has about a foot of ice on it. The extended and severe cold sent most of the birds south. We haven't had crows or blackbirds for about 2 months. Just today, for the 1st time, I saw a flock of robins. I don't know what they were eating. The ecosystem is still in deep winter up here with ice on the rivers and streams. When that comes off and the ground isn't covered everywhere with snow, then signs of spring can emerge.

Posted on: 3/9 21:46

From Other side of the tracks
Those of you (Pat) who said awhile back that we have seen the last cold spell for this winter are full of shart.

It will likely be below zero again later this week.

Some of my landscaping has paid the price this winter.

Robins mean nothing. They are around all winter if you go a little deeper in the brush than your back yard.

I'm not declaring winter over until I hear the peepers.

Ironically, I heard them in late fall last year and was wondering what was up with that?

Posted on: 3/10 8:01

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Those of you (Pat) who said awhile back that we have seen the last cold spell for this winter are full of shart.

Robins mean nothing. They are around all winter if you go a little deeper in the brush than your back yard.

Ironically, I heard them in late fall last year and was wondering what was up with that?

You might have robins in your area year round but I certainly do not, and I do go as you say deeper in the brush. I have NEVER seen a robin here in the winter.

Posted on: 3/10 8:09

From Cato, NY
calling for a foot of snow where i live on wednesday so spring is pretty far off IMO.

Posted on: 3/10 8:26

Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

You might have robins in your area year round but I certainly do not, and I do go as you say deeper in the brush. I have NEVER seen a robin here in the winter.

Certainly? Exactly how certain are you?

Sure many migrate, but if you live anywhere in PA, chances are there are robins around and closer than you might think.

Don't trust me. Look it up.

Redwing blackbirds are a better predictor of Spring. IMO

Posted on: 3/10 8:37

From LV
On my trip on Saturday to State College the Juniata River was iced over from the mouth to Lewistown. On my way home Sunday all of the ice was gone. The Susquehanna was still iced over but some of that ice was gone. You could see at the junction the water where the rivers hadn't mixed yet, the side where the J came into the Susquehanna was open water for a few hundred feet the rest was ice. I would expect by mid-week the other ice will be gone.

Posted on: 3/10 9:52

From LV
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

Interesting you mention peepers, Several years ago we heard them out back in early March, then on March 9, there was a snowstorm, and they weren't heard again for a few weeks. I do hear them every fall, but usually just a few.
But the snow is melting, but the snow in the center of the state isn't as much as we've had.

Posted on: 3/10 9:58

Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Interesting you mention peepers, Several years ago we heard them out back in early March, then on March 9, there was a snowstorm, and they weren't heard again for a few weeks. I do hear them every fall, but usually just a few.
But the snow is melting, but the snow in the center of the state isn't as much as we've had.

It was only a few for me as well, but it was the first time I ever head them in the fall. As deep as the frost is this year, I'm guessing we won't be hearing the peepers for a couple more weeks.

I was mostly messing with Pat. Most of the snow is now gone at the farm, but still plenty near Cleveland.

Around where I live, the first sign of Spring is the maple sap bag/bucket/tubing bloom and it started full swing last weekend.

Old man winter is just letting us know who's boss one more time (later this week). It will only last for a day.

Posted on: 3/10 10:16

From Ligonier
Spot-on FarmerDave - peepers for me!! I too remember hearing a few last fall.

Posted on: 3/10 10:23

From Northern VA
I saw a large frog getting washed around in the eddy of a deep pool on the stream today. Could not tell if it was drowning or just a very bad swimmer. Maybe it was just cold. Brookies on a different stream were pretty active, along with little black stones and tons of midges. Sooooo close....

Posted on: 3/10 22:23

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com