Shorts Ankle Socks and Waders

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

Today was my 1st day in the stream with shorts and ankle socks. Is it it my imagination or is taking waders off easier with shorts?

Stop being a girl and just wet wade.

Is this a lemon party thing?

I hear if you put plastic grocery bags on your feet they slip right out.

I never mess around with jeans under my waders. Always either long johns or mesh shorts and it is much easier to get my waders off and no bunching at the bottom.

JasonS wrote:

Hmmm wet wading is July August IMHO

Exactly! Real men wet wade in February :D

This past winter a friend of mine came with me to Erie for the first time. Second week of November he was wet wading. He also wet waded BFC last year in late April/Early May. I don't think he has much feeling left in his legs!

Shpants!

I try not to wear shorts with waders any more. I have permanent semi-large bald spots on both of my calves from a lifetime of wader wear.

fadeaway263 wrote:
JasonS wrote:

Girly man, lol. I normally start wet-wading in early May, either wearing quick-dry pants or shorts and my wading boots. I almost wet-waded the Brodhead yesterday but decided against it, water was chilly but I probably could've done it. Last year at this time I was definitely wet-wading though. This weekend will likely be a go for me with the wet wading season.

one thing to consider:
I would be concerned that the oils from my skin would clog/affect the breathability of my waders. As I understand it, the membrane would be directly against the skin. I can't say for certain my fears are well founded, but it makes sense to me.

When fishing in the summer I bring a thin pair of long pants with me to put on before putting my waders on.

Since warshing my waders in approved wader wash, I've begun to spring leaks. I believe it was the filth that kept 'em repellant, pun intended.

Threw two pairs of rubber hip boots away in as many weeks. Both pairs had a hole in the left foot. Looks like my wet-wading season is now underway!

RyanR wrote:
fadeaway263 wrote:
JasonS wrote:

Girly man, lol. I normally start wet-wading in early May, either wearing quick-dry pants or shorts and my wading boots. I almost wet-waded the Brodhead yesterday but decided against it, water was chilly but I probably could've done it. Last year at this time I was definitely wet-wading though. This weekend will likely be a go for me with the wet wading season.
I don't think you'd be wet wading the brookie stream I fished yesterday. It was (according to my therm) 48F, I would think that's hypothermic.

fadeaway263 wrote:
...shorts and ankle socks. Is it it my imagination or is taking waders off easier with shorts?

you actually admit to wearing ankle socks?
are your shorts granny panties?

I've been wearing shorts under my waders for years, usually at the time when its too warm to wear pants but the water temp isn't quite wet-wading friendly to me. I usually start wet wading when the water temp hits the mid 50s. Never had a problem with the performance of my waders when just wearing shorts under them. Heck, I wore just boxers under them once after work when I forgot my shorts for wet wading and only good dress pants on. It was June and I sweat my butt off, the boxers were drenched. Drove home in just those boxers too wondering how I would explain myself if I got pulled over for something. This has been a funny topic, some of you guys sure worry about an awful lot I think.

Dear fade,

No matter if you wear shorts or long pants get some made out of Supplex or a similar quick drying material. When it gets warm enough to wet wade just wear them, they dry in minutes.

I like to wet wade in long pants because I tend to wander into poison ivy at times and I think they offer just a bit more protection in those circumstance.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I like to wet wade in long pants because I tend to wander into poison ivy at times and I think they offer just a bit more protection in those circumstance.

ticks & chiggers too...

lol... some of you are sissy la la's.

im cracking up because I did shorts and waders on Saturday and I vowed never to do it again. My legs were sweaty, itching, and the hair was rubbed off after 2 hours. Awful experience. I wet waded yesterday and it wasnt bad.

and 4000 points to gfen for the lemonparty reference.

Back