Shenandoah

T

tyeager

I want to take a three day trip to Shenandoah later this spring/summer. The park website says there are up to 70 streams. This will be a backcountry/backpacking trip.

Does anyone have any experience with which streams are better than others? Which parts of the park are more traveled? Is it better to access the streams from along Skyline Drive or down below?

Any information would be great. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Thanks

Don't know any specifics myself really, but there is a decent Guide Book for those waters that you can probably find pretty easily. Also try Murray's Fly Shop down in VA, he'll surely be able to point you in the right direction.

I have done a lot of research on the area but have not fished yet.
As tomitrout says, check in with Murrys fly shop. There is a book that they sell by Mr Murray himself that tells you exactly where to fish were to park etc. It also gives good stream info.
Most of the streams talked about in the book are accessed from skyline drive.
You can go to murrays flyshop online and order the book and read it before you go to help plan your trip.
And you really should stop in the fly shop before you fish. I met the owner and he will tell you anything you want to know.

fly shop: http://www.murraysflyshop.com/
book: http://catalog.murraysflyshop.com/products/trout-fishing-in-the-shenandoah-national-park

There are some threads on the forum about fishing this area also.

There are Maps you should have also. You dont need the appilachian trail maps although they are real good, theres another good map to get which is a must have. I have it at home and will post later.

The park map by Trails Illustrated is very good and that's what we used to fish down there. Mandatory gear, IMHO.

Mosey Creek Outfitters in Harrisonburg is a real good Fly Shop. I have fished there several times and it is real good spring or early summer.

PM sent

shenandoah fly-fisherman mag

Here's a fly-fisherman article from last year that has Shenandoah's "best streams". I've been wanting to go backpacking there, but haven't made it yet.

I fished there late last spring and had a great time. Be prepared for some long up hill hikes, so take a few snacks and plenty of water. As already mentioned talk to Mr. Murray and he will be able to give a good starting point and definitely stop before you get into to park. He is by far one of the nicest, most down to earth person that I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. He will be more than willing to go out of his way and help you out. He made us copies out of his book to help us out even before I bought it. It's a great time if you don't mind putting a few miles on your legs.

Forgot to mention, the streams that we fished last year there was no need for waders. I don't think I really even stepped in the water. Just wanted to give you heads up so you don't make a 7 mile round trip hike with them strapped on your back like I did.

The park is a great place to fish dries ants, adams, royal wulff and a Mr. Rapidan are all the flies you will need. Rods can be a different story something around 6' will get you where you need to go, longer rods in the 8' range I would stay to the bigger streams. I fish the park normally with a 6'3" 4wt but if you go exploring some get tight and I fish with a 4' or 4'10" 4wt. Joe E

I actually ordered the book last night, simply because I like fly fishing guide books and for reference, I know of Murrays shop and will contact them prior to going.

I will be taking a 6'6" and/or 7' 4wgt and I'm not interested in any larger streams.

Thanks for all the info and keep it coming.

Sorry also try and fish during the week on the well known streams, weekend are bad. If you see wet foot prints on rocks try and get around them they will put the fish down and depending on the water levels for hours. If you are going during a long weekend hit the small stream you need to walk in. Hikers are okay but if you see signs that they are fly flshing (bumper stickers or whatever) drive to the next stream it will make your trip more enjoyable. If the watersnakes are active move to another stream.

If you plan on hiking in from the top of the ridge, here are a few pointers. 1) take food, not just snacks, you will need the energy food provides. 2) the hikes are quite steep and one bottle of water won't be enough, 3) the streams on the east side retain the water much better than the streams on the west side and have better access. The west side is a limestone valley. 4) If going in warm weather you won't need waders, but if you plan on fishing during the evening you'll probably want them, the air temps drop quickly as the sun goes down. Once in the park, you'll find the air temps much cooler than the area surrounding the park.
I can give some suggestions on the streams if you like , pm me or just post a response.

troutbert wrote:
The park map by Trails Illustrated is very good and that's what we used to fish down there. Mandatory gear, IMHO.

Yes this is the map I was talking about in my previous response.

Aducker wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Yes this is the map I was talking about in my previous response.

Harry Murray's fly shop carries these maps.

http://catalog.murraysflyshop.com/products/national-geographic-trails-illustrated-maps

It's good to order maps before the trip, to make plans. But, also make time to stop into the shop on your way down. Have you ever seen a combination pharmacy and fly shop before? It's pretty cool.

no but being that I am a pharmacist that intrigues me

Uh oh, you might not want to there first then. He kinda likes to talk.

Definitely put in your research before you go down and while you are there. Water falls are a hot spot in the park and attract a lot of people. Hikers can easily ruin streams before you get to fish throughout the day. My recommendation, like any spot, is to get up early and start hiking(or for the less adventurous, driving down below the park) so you can be the first one at the stream. There is a lot of breath taking scenery along the streams and trails so it is definitely worth your while. Some streams get fished more than others and i try to shy away from more known streams like the rapidan, because they are people hot spots. During the summer, locals like to use the streams as swimming holes which can also be a little disappointing. Dry flies are definitely the way to go in the park. But you will see, if you fish most of the streams in the park, some streams are tougher than others(the fish get picky). I would also recommend Mossy creek outfitters in Harrisonburg to answer all of your questions.

I also say get the scoop from Harry Murray.

As a general rule of thumb in the spring if there is a lot of rain hike into the streams from the top, if there isn't high water then you can have good luck fishing from the bottom up.

It's all about finding the access spots to streams. Be prepared for long hikes on steep terrain with lots of switch backs.

Plan out your attack or you can waste whole days hiking to less than ideal streams.

To me Shenandoah is an amazing place and I have some awesome memories and photos of my trips there. I might even go back this year

To reel burners point most of the tourists access the streams from the bottom where the falls tend to be, less traffic if you hike in from the top of the mountain.

I have been to Murray's Fly Shop a few times...he does like to talk, but he is a wealth of information. He is quite a salesman too, but not in a negative way. Walk out of there with some of his flies and you WILL catch fish. He will recommend the Mr. Rapidan...and buy some!

PM me, and I will share some info I got from another board when I took a trip to the SNP a couple of years ago.

Back