Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Shenandoah

From Ferguson Twp.
Uh oh, you might not want to there first then. He kinda likes to talk.

Posted on: 4/3 17:45

From Lock Haven
Definitely put in your research before you go down and while you are there. Water falls are a hot spot in the park and attract a lot of people. Hikers can easily ruin streams before you get to fish throughout the day. My recommendation, like any spot, is to get up early and start hiking(or for the less adventurous, driving down below the park) so you can be the first one at the stream. There is a lot of breath taking scenery along the streams and trails so it is definitely worth your while. Some streams get fished more than others and i try to shy away from more known streams like the rapidan, because they are people hot spots. During the summer, locals like to use the streams as swimming holes which can also be a little disappointing. Dry flies are definitely the way to go in the park. But you will see, if you fish most of the streams in the park, some streams are tougher than others(the fish get picky). I would also recommend Mossy creek outfitters in Harrisonburg to answer all of your questions.

Posted on: 4/4 13:40

I also say get the scoop from Harry Murray.

As a general rule of thumb in the spring if there is a lot of rain hike into the streams from the top, if there isn't high water then you can have good luck fishing from the bottom up.

It's all about finding the access spots to streams. Be prepared for long hikes on steep terrain with lots of switch backs.

Plan out your attack or you can waste whole days hiking to less than ideal streams.

To me Shenandoah is an amazing place and I have some awesome memories and photos of my trips there. I might even go back this year

Posted on: 4/4 22:15

To reel burners point most of the tourists access the streams from the bottom where the falls tend to be, less traffic if you hike in from the top of the mountain.

Posted on: 4/4 22:17

From Bel Air, MD
I have been to Murray's Fly Shop a few times...he does like to talk, but he is a wealth of information. He is quite a salesman too, but not in a negative way. Walk out of there with some of his flies and you WILL catch fish. He will recommend the Mr. Rapidan...and buy some!

PM me, and I will share some info I got from another board when I took a trip to the SNP a couple of years ago.

Posted on: 4/4 23:52

From New Cumberland
Buy Murray's book on blue ribbon streams and buy a couple of his stiff leaders with built in indicators. Leave no slack on the water and be ready. There's a fish in every pocket and you get one chance. I swear that their fish are faster than our native brookies. Enjoy.

Posted on: 4/5 8:05

From Granville
Watch out for ticks while you are down there. I used to spend some time in northern Virginia and in that same general area when my ex girlfriend moved there for a teacher's position. Seriously, by stepping basically ANYWHERE that wasn't cement in northern Virginia I seemed to get ticks. One time we were bass fishing the ponds at Sky Meadows state park, or attempting to as we just got disgusted by the ticks after only about 3 minutes of being there, and found that almost instantly while standing in a manicured lawn I had about 10 ticks crawling up my pants. I always feel bad for the cattle and deer in that area when I pass through. Beautiful country in northern Virginia, though.

Posted on: 4/15 5:25

Harry Murray's People's Drug Store in Edinburg, VA

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Half drug store - half fly shop

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 4/15 18:12

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com