Secret Spot

MKern

MKern

I was reading the last article in the new "Fly Fisherman." It was about a man, the author, finding a spot on a small public stream that no other people fish. It started off suspenseful, with the gentleman making his way through the brush and seen rises to grasshoppers. So he strung his rod and within a few casts started catching those fish, which turned out to be chubs. Apparently he new this all along and didn't tell anyone about his chub haven. Not only was he proud about the chubs he kept them and ate them --- yummy. :-o

I read a very similar story in Gray's Sporting Journal, about a kid growing up near a factory. His dad & everyone in his family worked there, and he was being raised to carry on the family drudgery. His "escape" through high school was to fish a stream that had chubs in it. One day his dad found him casting dry flies to rising chubs and they had a moment of understanding. From that point on their lives diverged. It was very introspective and touching.

I think I puked. :p

A couple of my moms older brothers told me stories of them fishing the little creek that ran through my Grandfathers cow pasture fishing for chubs. They said they would catch a couple dozen 6-8 inch chubs and take them home for my Grandma to cook up. According to my uncles they were tasty. Now you have to understand that my Grandparents had 12 children and this is back in 30's & 40's.

My father in law insists that the are good smoked.

But seriously can you even get 2 bites out of a chubb yuck ....

Don't get me wrong, I do my share of chub fishing on a small stream infront of my house. However, the difference is I don't keep it a secret.

As a side note: I have caught over 60 chubs with one nightcrawler, and many of them were over ten inches (three bites). One of my friends/fishing buddys caught a 16" chub on Lycoming Creek about 2 years ago.

MMMMMMM.....chubs, scale em, filet them, smoke them with hickory wood MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.......kinda like a white fish....MMMMMMMMMM..

Back