Secret Flies

Padraic

Padraic

Do you believe in or have secret flies?

spent a small fortune tying``secret flies''.
Funny thing is they NEVER were as good as the day I discovered them.
Finally realized that it was a conspiracy to sell more fly tying materials.

Anyway else have those experiences? A fly so hot one day you thought you found a miracle-tie up a gross or so and just another fly?
I had that happen several times on the Paradise-others said they did also.

I don't really believe in a secret pattern that's always a killer.
Like Pete, I have seen and used hot flies that work well for a while, or at certain places. But sooner or later, they fail somewhere.
It's still best to carry many different styles of a particular hatch matching fly IMO. You just never know for sure what will work best on any given day.
That said, I have developed my own style of mayfly, that is a cross between a catskill and thorax fly, that usually works well for me pretty much everywhere.
Bruno and Acristic have some, and hopefully they have had the same success as me

Secret flies, No. Secret fishing holes, well maybe?? I agree with pete & DFG, hot/secret flies come and go.

JH

flyfishermanj wrote:
Secret flies, No. Secret fishing holes, well maybe?? I agree with pete & DFG, hot/secret flies come and go.

JH

Secret fishing holes.... Ugh... let's not go there! :-o

No such thing...two guys fish the same creek...each has his "secret fly". The two flies look nothing alike...how important is it that pattern is kept secret?

The only value I could possibly see to a secret fly is if it resembles an insect that only the maker of that fly knows that that bug exists on the creek. Once a year hatch of gold ribbed purple ants commit mass suicide by marching into a certain creek...now that would be a secret fly worth keeping to yourself.

I dont know about a fly, but theres a guy on another forum that works for TU, is a biologist and has studied trout in their habitat for years. And he has perfected a lure he constructed and said it is irresistable to 99.9% of fish. He goes after the biggest pressured fish all day that fisherman are swarming and says they hit it on the first few casts with agression. He also posts pics all the time, soo take that for what it is heh.

Pad,

Sorry, forgot the smiley after that! :-D

JH

I picked the last one because almost all of my flies are some sort of interpretation of someone else's work, so in that aspect I am the only one that knows many of my patterns. Would I hold out how to tie one if someone asks? Absolutely not. I think the only thing more childish than holding out a pattern is holding out the pattern and bragging about how well it works. It's like admitting that you aren't that good of a fisherman. They might as well say "I can't give you that pattern as it is the only reason I catch fish." I was always told it's about presentation. :lol:

Boyer

PS: I do tend to be childish about the wild mountain cougar, but only because I like to throw it back at the secret fly set. It's a stupid tie and if anybody wants the pattern PM me, unless you have secret flies, then.....ummmm...no thanks.

i have secret presentations :-D

I don't believe anything can be a secret anymore.If you have a "NEW' fly I can almost guarantee someone else has already come up with it .Also what is hot one day may not do anything the next.

I don't have any ;-)

Just kiddin, I chose sort of. I have patterns that I don't want every body to see. Even though I strongly believe that presentation is by far the most important factor, a realistic patterns may push a finicky trout to strike.

However, I am willing to show and explain how to tie them in person, possible even give that person one.

(I'm getting better, you have to admit Pad)

Not sure if I understand this unless you are trying to make a name for yourself or get something patented. What good is a secret fly if you don't know how or where to fish it.

Its all about having confidence in whatever is on the end of your line. Some people believe that if they are the only ones showing a particular pattern to the trout, then they will have greater success. I don't subscribe to that philosophy, but I have no doubt these folks have greater success because of it. It has nothing to do with the trout, its a human psychology issue.

mute wrote:
I dont know about a fly, but theres a guy on another forum that works for TU, is a biologist and has studied trout in their habitat for years. And he has perfected a lure he constructed and said it is irresistable to 99.9% of fish. He goes after the biggest pressured fish all day that fisherman are swarming and says they hit it on the first few casts with agression. He also posts pics all the time, soo take that for what it is heh.

Yea, we used to call them DuPont spinners. They work every time. You could even say they are dynomite. :-D

I have flies that are so unique nobody has ever fished them but me-- they were lab accidents, you might say. I guess they are secret because I couldn't duplicate them from a recipe. Sorry, but I cannot be any more specific. You will just have to pull them down from a tree and reverse-engineer them.

I was working in the lab late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise...

It was the parachute green weenie. Bruno now holds the only one in existence. I traded it for a good looking patriot from his box. Go nag him for a look.

I have patterns I've tied that are somewhat unique to certain degrees, but for the most part they're derived from something else with a few exceptions. However, if someone asked me what I was using I would have no problem telling what I'm using. Like albatross said its all about having confidence in what you're using. There is NO catch all fly, bait, spinner, or lure in the world, period. Something that works for me most likely won't work for someone else the same way and vise versa.

I have two midge emerger patterns that I have never seen in any shop I have been in. They work year round. I have shared them streamside with a couple people I see a lot on the stream though.

No secret flies here! I love fishing terreatrials and have a couple of favorites that I use all the time, but they sure ain't no secret. For my bettle pattern I like to use the crowe beetle, and of course the WMD, the orange ant.

IF I had a secret fly, it wouldn't be a secret very long, if someone ask's me what Im catching them on, I usually end up giving them a couple, I probably give away more orange ants then I use!

PaulG

Back