Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Score two for C&R

From Lancaster County
First, I'll state, I have no qualms with folks who catch and keep fish to eat them. I have only disrespect for those who feel the need to parade their catch around on stringers and then toss them or don't actually use them for consumption. That being said, I find I get way more mileage out of fish if I put them back, instead of put them in my belly.

Back when the state stocked tigers, I caught what I presume was a stocked tiger on Donegal Creek. I say presume because I have caught wild browns and wild brooks in Donegal. But odds are it was stocked. That was about ten years ago and was the only tiger I had caught in my life. This year, I managed not one, not two, but three tiger trout, so far. The last one I caught last Friday. When I finally pulled the pictures off my phone today, I compared the most recent tiger to the last tiger I caught (both from the same drainage), just in case they happened to be the same fish. Turns out they weren't. But, the weekend I caught the second tiger, Swattie and his FIL were also fishing with me and Swattie picked up a tiger as well. So I compared photos and lo and behold, there was a solid match. The fish had moved maybe a tenth of a mile, downstream, but I am 100% confident it has the same fish. Look at the long unbroken vermiculation in the middle of the fish, below the lateral line..

June 14, 2013

From Catch and Release Successes

September 6, 2013

Once upon a time, I had a bit of a photographic memory. Sadly, that film plate has dulled a bit as the grey matter has been crammed full. But one of the browns I caught the day before I caught the tiger also looked familiar. I'd like to say my mind recognized the spot pattern, but it was actually how fat the fish was that reminded me of another fish I caught over a year ago in almost the same spot. So, on a whim, I broke out the pictures to compare tonight. And lo and behold, I'm also 100% positive they are the same fish. Luckily, I snapped pictures of the same side of the fish.

Focus on the red spots, moving from the left, at the tail. There are one-two-three red spots, the fourth red spot is higher and the fifth red spot is more in line with the first three. Then drop down towards the anal fin and notice the two smaller red spots. Compare to this year's photo.

June 20, 2012

September 5, 2013

I have hundreds of fish pictures from multiple trips to a number of different streams, and I'm sure if I pored through them, I'd find additional matches. But it is neat to look back at a couple of the nicer fish and clearly see that decisions made to release the fish paid off, sometimes months later, and sometimes over a year later.

Thanks to all who may have caught fish before me and you're welcome, to whomever may fish after me..

Posted on: 2013/9/12 21:40

Re: Score two for C&R

From NE OH
Good stuff! Can't argue against both pairs being the same fish. And, look at the motor on the brown. That is one big paddle. She must have given you a little resistance.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 21:56

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Cool stuff salmonoid. I agree, both pairs of pics are of the same fish. I find it interesting the Tiger moved...It was in a nice run but it shared it with at least several other fish as I caught several other Brookies out of it, including a pretty nice one. The fish definitely has colored up a bit. I caught it after a period of high water which explains the washed out look it had when I caught it. I'm glad we got a better picture of it!

That's a really nice Brown too...look at that tail!

Posted on: 2013/9/12 21:56

From Ferguson Twp.
Nice looking pics as usual, thank you and you're welcome as well.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 22:05

From United States
No doubt. I have tried to compare pictures of trout from year to year. I have not identified one that was the same yet. I have found both halves of an indian arrowhead. OFF Topic. I think it's interesting how the red spots got larger below the lateral on the second trout.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 22:22

That tiger is beautiful and its a great pic. Well done.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 22:57

From Fairborn, OH
That is incredibly cool to see you previously release showing up again in the camera memory. I always wonder, but am not terribly good at identifying, the same fish has made it onto my hook in some of the places I've caught and released. You really have a knack for it!

Posted on: 2013/9/13 0:22

From South central PA
Very nice, love catching the same fish year after year, easiest way to identify imo is finding distinct patterns in the black spots. If you notice from the tail between the second and third red dots there are 4 black dots that make kind of a half moon shape on both fish so yep its the same fish for sure. Those dots are like fingerprints, no two fish have the same ones.

Evan

Posted on: 2013/9/13 4:24

From Clinton County, Pa.
I agree, both are the same fish. The Wild Tiger in my avatar I caught twice. The photo was the second time I caught it. The first time I caught it was almost a year prior. It was 9 inches then and 11 inches the second time. What are the odds of that happening?

Posted on: 2013/9/13 15:07

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Pretty decent I think. I've found a fair amount of doubles in my pics. It happens when you tend to fish smaller streams multiple times.

In smaller streams, I think we actually catch a fair % of the fish, and that % is even higher in certain holes which are easier to fish.

Posted on: 2013/9/13 15:58

From Landenberg, PA
great pictures. best of luck with future harrassment of the "residents" ha ha...

Posted on: 2013/9/13 16:58

From Philadelphia, PA
Awesome.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 12:37

As somebody once said:

"If you put them back, they are still there."

Posted on: 2013/9/14 17:43

From LV
Tigers the same browns not. Spot patterns on the brown gill plates are not the same.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 17:46

From Mont Co, Pa
Those browns have the EXACT same spot pattern. Especially easy to see near the tail.

Posted on: 2013/9/14 19:30

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com