Santa's Red Waders

mcfinn

mcfinn

Was frosting (read: 'eating') xmas cookies w/ my 4yo nephew the other day while his dad and i talked about some musky flies he was tying. My nephew absorbs many FF buzzwords during convos like this and like any inquisitive kids asks any number of questions. To scaffold his FF learning i told my nephew that Santa was a BIGTIME flyfisherman and the kid was understandably unconvinced.
As proof i picked up a santa cutout cookie with red frosted legs and black boots and told my nephew that santa wears these 'red waders' year round. Santa's black boots were actually felt souled, and in xmas story books when one sees Santa in his sleigh flicking a whip over his reindeer, he's actually finessing a 4wt performing an upstream mend. The nephew's dad correctly added that the magic corn that makes reindeer fly is what Santa himself used to catch his first trout as a young angler.
Wonder what other proof is out there that Santa is a known FFer...
Any ideas?

My obvious answer is the beard. We all know the practical uses of beards when ffing in the winter. At least, that's why I grow a beard come November!

Good point, 'Squatch... Am thinkin' his big ol' black belt should have a wading staff hanging from it. Plus the sleigh could get the big guy into some hard to reach waters.

I think I saw a Simms tag on the jacket. The white fur trim is actually for drying off dries.

Man we're bored.

Don't forget the glowing red-nosed indicator for nymphing during those foggy eves.
(looks like it's just you & me 'Squatch... your turn.)

1. Works real hard one day a year so he can fly fish the remainder.
2. Visits all the important stream locations.

My obvious answer is the beard. We all know the practical uses of beards when ffing in the winter. At least, that's why I grow a beard come November!

Lol.....I use my beard to hold flies as i'm putting my box back in my vest. I couldn't tell you how many times I drove home with a fly in my beard only to have one of my kids tell me I have a bug in my beard.

Obviously, Santa is a bass fly fisher....else why the reindeer...great source of hair for his bass bugs. and the sleigh...packed with all his extra stuff. Kinda reminds me of the back of my car.

And in how many pictures does it look like he's waving as he flys by....he not waving. he's practicing his power stroke.

Does anyone else think Santa looks ALOT like Heritage Ed? I've never actually seen them in the same room together. But the pipe looks the same....

Raindeer fur for tying!!
Sean

The reindeer are there to get him to and from his favorate creek/river (cheaper than purchasing gas) and to attract the hatch, so Santa can better determine what fly to use. The red suit that he wears let's hunters know that he is in the area. And lastly his sleigh is how he stocks the rivers and creeks with wild trout from the North Pole. Nice presents for us un-naughty fly fisherpeople.

The sleigh is actually a pontoon? Santa stops at the Upper D

Oh man, now we're talking! Good calls, fellas.
Santa could totally magic-sled his way over to Nova Scotia for huge brookies then scoot over to Newfoundland for some arctic char AND still have time to cover the Kamchatka penninsula for mutant bows or the Nile for river perch ALL BEFORE LUNCH!
Also, isn't it just a little curious how the PA Fish Commish generates those detailed stream maps? Santa's helpers, maybe? Furthermore, all those retail shops with drawers full of flies don't tie themselves.
Oh sure, they SAY 'product of Sri Lanka' - or wherever - but i wonder...
And lastly, Santa's middle name... is clearly Eagle. As in
Eagle Claus. Ha! Homonym, err, not so much...

Under a pseudonym, wrote fishing the 0th parallel

Volksnurse wrote:
Does anyone else think Santa looks ALOT like Heritage Ed? I've never actually seen them in the same room together. But the pipe looks the same....

Making a list - checking it twice...... :cool:

Attachments

• Picture 384.gif
    Picture 384.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 1

Volksnurse wrote:

Does that make the Fox Santa's evil little elf? :)

+1^
Ha! That explains Fox's bright pointy hat.

I would'nt show that cartoon to the little ones even if they've been naughty !!!!HA HA HA!!!!

Back