Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Salmon and Steelhead 2017

A good start for research on LO fisheries is the NYS DEC reports:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/27068.html

The fin clipping was done from 2008 through 2011, so the wild chinook work is mostly described in the 2012 report. Section 3 is the results of the fin clipping experiment and section 8 is the seine samples or parr in the river. The 2016 report claimed a good amount of wild fish in the seine study.

Another source is Cornell U where the NYS fisheries school is. Their websites keep changing, b

Posted on: 9/5 8:58

Jeff-

Thanks for the links. I was never clear whether or not they clipped the fins on fish from the SR Hatchery at beaverdam brook that come from "wild broodstock". It's not totally clear, but it looks like they did. It looks like I made some erroneous statements and I stand corrected.

Posted on: 9/5 10:33

The only fish fin clipped are the fingerlings raised at the hatchery. Of course some of the parents (or broodstock) could be wild fish, but the fingerlings were raised at the hatchery. I'm assuming that the SR hatchery likes to mix wild and hatchery broodstock for better genetics. They do that at other hatcheries.

For example, the rainbow fingerlings for the Finger Lakes are raised at the Bath hatchery. They net wild fish on their spring spawning run into Naples Ck (it is a big local event) and raise both wild parent fish and wild X hatchery fish. They do something similar with landlocks in Clear Lake. However, Clear Lake is so small that NYS has to bring Maine landlocked salmon broodstock every so often to improve the gene pool.

Posted on: 9/6 9:12

Got ya. Clear now. Thanks.

Posted on: 9/6 12:49

For those who fish the sr, it looks like now is the time to be there...

Posted on: 9/6 17:37

From Other side of the tracks
I may be heading to Erie tomorrow afternoon. If I do, I will turn it into a scouting trip. If I do, I will post about it next week.

I'm betting with this colder weather that some early runners are already in. Years back, I spotted a few steelhead a couple mile upstream (on Elk) ... in late August. Warm day and water was very low, so they were stressed. Fished if in early September upstream from there (after rain brought up the stream level a little) and caught a couple.

We had a cold late summer that year as well.

PA fall runs generally are generally better and start earlier than they do in Oh.

Posted on: 9/7 8:11

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
The salmon river seems to be screaming with fish now...

http://www.douglastonsalmonrun.com/Fishing-Report.aspx

Posted on: 9/7 10:31

From WNY
Quote:

wbranch wrote:

At least 25% of the steelhead that enter the Cattaraugus are wild fish.

The latest studies actually show that less than 5% returning steelhead are wild to Cattaraugus.
Cattaraugus steelhead return surveys the past two years showed that the majority of the returning fish are PA and Ohio stock while only 18% were NY fish.
That stream and its tributaries produce a good amount of wild fish but the mortality rate of yearling is abnormally high.

Posted on: 9/7 15:18

Dano-

I saw that study as well. Tough to say what is going on at the Catt. One thing that is for sure is there are tons of wild rainbows throughout the entire watershed above the dam.

Posted on: 9/7 16:47

From WNY
Moon, It's not just the Catt that is suffering. All of the NY Lk Erie Tribs have seen dramatic declines in returning adult fish.
Hopefully they can at least get an understanding of what's going on with this current fin clipping / smolt monitoring experiment currently going on at Chautauqua Creek.

Posted on: 9/8 10:46

To interject my thought agian. Ive been saying for years the returns are not exclusive to ny tribs in lake erie. From 2010 to about 2012 steelhead returns in Erie were amazing. Than it was like a light switch was flipped numbers went WAY down. I havent caught a fish in a NY trib in three years. Hopefully with lake Michagan and Ontario having good years Lake Erie will fallow also. Have herd reports of many steelhead being caught by Walleye guys all summer. Plus have seen guys starting to catch steelhead from shore already so keep your fingers crossed. Has anyone been up to erie yet?

Posted on: 9/11 7:42

From Ellwood City
I was up yesterday. Considering it was only sept. 10, it was really good fishing. Walnut has fish, and of course crowds. With the last rain event and the continued cool temps, there's fish above rt. 5 already in somewhat decent numbers in other areas too. However, with no rain in the forecast for the next week, I suspect they won't last very long.

Posted on: 9/11 8:53

From Other side of the tracks
I didn't make it up to Erie over the weekend to scout around, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Thanks Mucka for the report.

Posted on: 9/11 14:39

From Pittsburgh
PA tribs were hot this weekend. Went 7/9 myself Saturday and a few hours Sunday morning. Hit three streams and every one had fish, found two holes in particular that were absolutely stacked with fish that no one else was working due to murky water. Everything was dime fresh from the lake full of energy. I've never caught so many Steelhead that have jumped so high and run so fast in a single weekend before.

As stated a couple posts up, however, there's going to be minimal precipitation and warmer air temps this week, I doubt many more fish will run for the coming weekend, and a few may even drop back to the lake until it cools down again.

Posted on: 9/12 7:57

From Port Matilda, PA
I fished PA tribs last weekend, and did very well. Unfortunately, I think the warm temperatures and lack of rain are going to put it on a hiatus for a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apf3DNXj0mg

Posted on: 9/20 15:56

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com