Salmon River

kmmichael51

kmmichael51

URGENT AND SERIOUS MESSAGE!!!!
Altmar is going private!

LOTAC received an email from a credible person with knowledge of the situation and we may lose public access on the north side of the river just like we lost the south side.

His email more a less stated:

There is a group of fishermen forming to battle the apparent takeover of Public Fishing Rights on the north side of the Salmon River below the bridge at Altmar, all the way to Ellis Cove. Woodbine Group, of Syracuse (Norm Swanson) already bought the south side of the river from below the Schoolhouse Pool up to near the bridge. In late October, 2013 Swanson bought a lot bordering the north bank for $40,000. National Grid owns all the other land/lots on the north side except New York State owned parking lot. If someone gets inLOTAC is currently leading the charge and could use our help. Remember, you don't need to agree onThis is a tax payer funded hatchery and we tax payers should be able to fish it every aspect but this is an organized group that obviously cares about the river! http://www.lotac.org/ or https://www.facebook.com/groups/261854638504/
bed with National Grid the PFR's on the south side will be lost to Ellis Cove. This is urgent, and immediate steps are being taken. The DEC states PFR's are "permanent" but they already dropped the ball on the south side and powerful lawyers, etc. can surprise the public.
This is a serious matter for all of us.
Contact
The governor http://andrewcuomo.com/contact

Kenneth Lynch, (315) 426-7403 DEC Director in Syracuse.

The section 7 fishery email- fwfish7@gw.dec.state.ny.us

..and post this on every forum you can!!

This has been reposted to inform all who fish the Salmon River. I fish it many times through the year and hate to see a fishery become privatized. Anyone who fishes this waterway should get involved and help.

To be honest. THe more of that water that is privatized the better it will be for the fishery.

Less goons tramping though, leaving litter, and less genearly tomfoolery. i'm all for it.

Privatize the whole thing!

Just because its private doesnt mean you cant fish it. But, it will certainly exclude a lot of folks, myself included, who cant generally affort to pay premimum rates to fish a stretch of water.

Woodbine Group, of Syracuse (Norm Swanson) already bought the south side of the river from below the Schoolhouse Pool up to near the bridge. In late October, 2013 Swanson bought a lot bordering the north bank for $40,000. .

see, this is why anglers need to band together and buy these lots when they come up.

i've posted on here a few times about this.

This one i did ask about as it was listed on Landwatch for some months, but again no owner financing and no mortgage available means only the wealthy can pick these up - even though the prices are usually quite cheap - 20,30, 40K etc.

What we need is some kind of Anglers Trust to purchase and hold these lots until they can be gifted to Land Conservancy's etc.

Where is this area in retrospect to Sportsman's Pool North/South?

The mentioned area is upstream from sportsmans. Its downstream from the petting zoo. Great area to fish. Id hate to lose it as an option.

To address the above comments. The area going private will only serve to crowd the other areas more. The "goons" will just change where they fish. Myself included.

The whole dang river is a circus and is losing it's luster IMO. It's too bad because it's a top steelhead / salmon fishery but the circus is getting old.

I agree on the circus it can become during the salmon season,and have seen it here in many places in PA. The garbage I have picked up my share. but in reality its a world class fishery. I do go up many times a year and reserve one or two days to fish the Douglaston where chaos is minimal except at Joshs hole, and the cost continues to rise and make it more less affordable every year. the south side of altmar is already privatized and lost to the public. Losing this area to the north will only compact anglers into other available areas. This is a wake up call to anyone who wishes to help. Contact or look up LOTAC on face book, they will have info on how to help or who to write

Back