Salmon River..I mean Catfish Creek Trip

SBecker

SBecker

So Friday a couple friends and I headed up to fish in Pulaski for Salmon and Steel. One of the guys has a camper on Catfish Creek and we were just going to head to whatever direction the fish were hanging out. On the way up Friday it was very windy and raining pretty hard and we were running pretty late to get up there and fish. By the time we made it up, it was already 5:30 and the weather conditions were not very friendly, so we packed it in for the night and settled in to a few beers and some dinner and a good nights sleep for the early morning rise.

Saturday morning the wind was howling but wasn't going to stop us. So we headed out to a bar at 5 am to get some breakfast and then get into some Salmon. We decided to fish Catfish Creek because the water was up and the fish seemed to be really moving out of the lake. I got into the water and had Salmon running into my legs and scaring the #OOPS# out of me. By 9:30 I did not have a hook up and was still trying to figure out the whole salmon thing out. I had a Local guy offer me a a beer so I decided to take a break and maybe learn a thing or two from him. When I made it over to him I realized I had lost my fly box with all of my first flies I had tied in them. I was a little heartbroken but the local told me it probably was stuck along some branches down creek. For the next hour I searched with no avail. That is when my luck changed. For the rest of the day I hooked into 15 Salmon and landed 3 with a couple of really close net jobs. My buddy Tom hooked into 17 and landed 3. and my 2 other buddies hooked into a couple but only landed 1 Steel. Very productive first day of fishing!

Sunday was the same routine but we could only stay till 10. I was on fire and did not want to leave. Hooked into 10 in 3 hours but no lands because of close net jobs or some idiot casting over my fly line while I had a fish on and getting tangled. He then proceeded to hook into a salmon and the pressure of his fish literally cut my fly line 10 feet before my backing, with no apologies from the A hole New Jerseian.

Other then losing all of my fist tied flies and all of my nymphs and having my floating line cut and needing to buy new line, I had an amazing weekend of some of the best fishing I have ever had for salmon. Here is a couple pictures.

Attachments

• Salmon 1.jpg
    Salmon 1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
  • salmon 2.jpg
    salmon 2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Salmon 3.jpg
    Salmon 3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 4
  • salmon 4.jpg
    salmon 4.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Salmon 5.jpg
    Salmon 5.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Salmon 6.jpg
    Salmon 6.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 2
  • Salmon7.jpg
    Salmon7.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Salmon 8.jpg
    Salmon 8.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1
  • salmon 9.jpg
    salmon 9.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2
spectacular! Nice job!

you even got the "shot" Nice work - glad you got in to them.

A few males and a few females based on what I see spewing from their posterior. You could have probably incubated a few kings with all of the necessary ingredients you had there.

Cl, Thats what we joked about. I stood in the same spot for all of the pictures and said that we were probably just speeding up the process.

That final one (salmon 9) is just outrageous.

I should have taken a picture of the net we used to land these things. You would not have thunk we could land even one. We would catch the head and grab the tail, thats it.

That last fish.... :-o And I'm sure there is no 'camera trickery' involved with that by holding the fish further out as it's probably too heavy to do that! What a beast!

What type of leader setup do you use to fish for hogs like that?

I used a 25lb tapered leader then a swivel then 12lb Rio Max tippet. Not one time did I break off, except when the idiot cut my floating line. Many times my hooks bent or just pulled out.

O and no camera trickery, I am the last person to know how to do that crap. My buddy's wife actually called him after posting and asked if it was a fake or plastic fish he was holding.

Nice fish, sounds like a great trip Shane. Makes me miss my old Pulaski days, camping with my buds.

Looks like a fine outing. I would like to land a king...someday.

Nice.

Becker,

It's nice to see I wasn't the only one that said "Please just not in the eye" this weekend...

Killer fish!! That appears to be right where I was when I pulled in over the weekend I guess I just didn't see you.

Hooked into 10 in 3 hours but no lands because of close net jobs or some idiot casting over my fly line while I had a fish on and getting tangled. He then proceeded to hook into a salmon and the pressure of his fish literally cut my fly line 10 feet before my backing, with no apologies from the A hole New Jerseian.

Nice trip. Trying to make that happen this weekend. Man, I would have gone to 11 real quick on that guy. You got to be kidding me.

Jdaddy...I don't think I could have ever imagined my float line breaking on this trip. Rod, reel, tippet, leader, hooks, my arm, all were possibilities in my mind of breaking, but my Fly line? Nope never. Try role casting with your backing lol nearly impossible. If it wasn't for my 2 buds I would have drowned him but they just kept telling me it could be worse...I could have been fishing the SR with 30 people doing that to me....The worst part was when an hour later the same guy snagged my fly line that was still attached to the salmon. He breaks it off then wraps it all up in his hand looks at me and just starts laughing.

LRSABecker wrote:
The worst part was when an hour later the same guy snagged my fly line that was still attached to the salmon. He breaks it off then wraps it all up in his hand looks at me and just starts laughing.

I'm a very laid-back person and the last one to "put up the gloves", but I think that would have put me over the top!

that just ain't right. I'm pretty laid back but as long as I wasn't outnumbered I'd have grabbed his line on a backcast and cut it with a knife.

Bam.. He was a spin fisherman and on the other side of the river, if the river wasn't so deep between us I might have gotten into some trouble

thats when you snag his waders open lol maybe even set the hook into his leg i nice # 2 hook will make him think before cutting another fly line ever again

If I could have cast my backing that could have been an option.

Back