SEPA Winter Brookie Fishing

dc410

dc410

As I was dodging vehicles during the morning commute in the unexpected snow event in SEPA (I really don't understand why people can't figure out how to drive in the snow just because it wasn't predicted???) my thoughts drifted off to winter brook trout fishing. On my way home from work I stopped at a small native brook trout stream because I had about an hour and a half of daylight left. I walked back in to near the headwaters of the small stream's drainage. The quietness and freshness of the new fallen snow was mainly the reason that I was there. To me there is not much that is more relaxing than taking a walk in the woods just after a fresh snowfall. One of my main reasons for this thread is to encourage people to get out there and experience the winter fishing season. It is awesome! You don't need more than an hour or two to really have a great outing (depending on how cold it is that's maybe all that you really want). I probably wouldn't have even stopped to fish this afternoon if that snow wouldn't have happened this morning.

Anyway, the fishing wasn't great but I did get a few hits, hooked and few and also brought a few small native brookies to hand. I was just hitting the deeper runs below the plunge pools with a size 12 bead head wooly bugger. I have attached a few scenery photos as well as a pic of a pretty little brookie with its five red spots along its lateral line.

Spring will be here soon enough. If the opportunity presents itself, get out there and enjoy the winter season. Tight lines.

Attachments

• Winter scene 1.jpg
    Winter scene 1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Winter scene 2.jpg
    Winter scene 2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Winter scene 3.jpg
    Winter scene 3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Winter scene 4.jpg
    Winter scene 4.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Winter brookie.jpg
    Winter brookie.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
Dc, nice pics. Beautiful little stream. Great looking fish as well.

GenCon

No doubt - winter fishing has much to recommend it. It's obviously not the time to expect a fifty fish day or blizzard hatches, but fish can be caught and there likely won't be anyone else fishing (unless it's a popular limestoner). I don't really understand folks who put away their fly rods early in the fall. I suppose in the past there were those who associated the seasons with different activities - autumn was for bird dogs and hunting - but for the hard core angler, getting out in winter is rejuvenating.

If I had a car that was better on wintry roads, I'd get out more on days like this.

dc410 wrote:
To me there is not much that is more relaxing than taking a walk in the woods just after a fresh snowfall.
I couldn't agree more. I was bowhunting though, in this winter wonderland about 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1984 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1984 (Custom).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1988 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_1988 (Custom).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
Back