SE PA keeping fish?

Makee

Makee

I don't think this is the correct place for this, mods can you move to the correct place.

I normally am a catch and release guy, but I have a friend coming to town who is looking to keep some fish. I normally fish the DHALO waters.

I am looking for any suggestions on where to go that would have some good size fish to keep.

I am in the Phoenixville area. I would be willing to travel a little to find some good water, around 30 minutes would be ok.

Thanks in advance!!

Probably is no good place for this, but General Forum may actually get some helpful answers. I'll move it there.

I'm kinda close to that area.

I keep and eat maybe two fish a year......maybe. I don't really trust the water around here honestly.

Check out the Perkiomen down your way?? Might find a random trout or two in there.

Catfish probably tastes better anyway.

Why not just go to French or Pickering? Or outside the DHALO area on whatever streams you do fish.

East Branch Brandywine along 282 between Glenmoore and Dorlan Mills and West Branch of Brandywine from Hibernia Park to Rt.340 have plenty of fish you can keep. I've thrown plenty back over the past few weeks in both of these sections. I live local to these streams which aren't far from Phoenixville at all. 15-20 minute drive.

What docdom said. Also theres a few good sections of pickering and french creek that still have pods of fish. I live right in phoenixville and fish French, Pickering, Brandywine, Skippack alot. Let me know if you want to get together for an outing

I had a 17 fish day last Monday on chester creek...released a nice 17 inch brown there too. The fish are there...their just smarter

French is your closest and best bet; nice variety of water and more fish than most streams. I learned to fly fish there and still enjoy visiting since I was born and raised right outside of Phoenixville. Pickering gets way lss fish and has a lot less good area to fly fish IMO.There are always fish if in French you look in the right spots. (until it gets low and warm that is) Just avoid the times near stockings and the crazy club contests that happen in May.

i wouldn't trust any of the lowland streams - too much pollution goes in them.

i'd head out to the poconos.

Gents seriously, Do really believe that towns or cities for that matter don't check the chemical balance of the water prior to stocking. Just think what a hayride the media would have if all the fish went belly up at the same time!
Take the stocked fish with out too much concern - they normally don't make it through the summer heat and at this early in the season they probably have not picked up enough chemicals to do any real damage.

Heck, if the stockers are from Huntsdale, they're already PCB contaminated. Doesn't matter where they are put. Still, taking a few for a meal will do little harm to your body and even less harm to the creek.

There are no big trout in the Perkiomen drainage.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Gents seriously, Do really believe that towns or cities for that matter don't check the chemical balance of the water prior to stocking. Just think what a hayride the media would have if all the fish went belly up at the same time!

I really believe the townships do no such thing. Can you please provide evidence that they do?

the lower brandywine has signs posted about raw sewage. fish move.

plus, there are no end of insecticides and herbicides sprayed on farm crops and soil, which mostly gets washed into feeder creeks and then into the main stems.

even tiny amounts are carciogenic, so no you might not get food poisoning, but you might get pancreatic cancer years later - which is a modern disease, only found in the US in the 1940's.

personally, i'd only take fish above the farming belt.

Have to agree with Chaz. The Perkiomen drainage doesn't have big fish, but wild browns of the 9-12" variety are plentiful and can make for great table fare. You don't want to really eat the bigger fish anyway as they do not taste as good.

geebee wrote:
the lower brandywine has signs posted about raw sewage. fish move.

plus, there are no end of insecticides and herbicides sprayed on farm crops and soil, which mostly gets washed into feeder creeks and then into the main stems.

even tiny amounts are carciogenic, so no you might not get food poisoning, but you might get pancreatic cancer years later - which is a modern disease, only found in the US in the 1940's.

personally, i'd only take fish above the farming belt.

This pretty much sums up all the concerns I might have about taking fish here I se pa.

Took some nice stockies in Hikcory run state park a couple of days ago and smoked them. They were deee....licious!!!

Nope, no big trout in the perky watershed at all.

Back