SAN JUAN WORMS

V

VINNYT

DOSE ANY BODY HERE FISH WITH SAN JUAN WORMS IF SO HOW DO U FISH THEME JUST LIKE A NYMPH? ALSO WHENE DO YOU FISH CAN YOU FISH THEME ANY TIME OF THE YEAR

THANKS

I usually fish them without the capslock off. It's too hard to read when I use the capslock.

I tie them with chamois.

I use them as a terrestrial when catepillars are active. They also work as a wet fly or (at times) a streamer. but typically, I use them as a nymph as you say. They are effective just about anyway you try to fish them.

I recently moved here (that being Chester County), and my best fishing days have have easily been when I've nymphed san juans either when it's drizzling or immediately after a downpour. I'm pretty much a beginner at flyfishing, and I've been able to pull a few nice Browns out of Valley Creek using that strategy. So, if I can do it, anyone can.

Look for holes and changes in waterflow that are close to the bank and cast there, works for me.

Dude,

If you're pulling nice browns out of Valley Creek, you are the Dude. Valley Creek is easily the hardest creek I've fished.

I fish them slow and deep in runs and pools. I've caught my biggest trout to date (5 lb stocker) using this method.

I'll also sight fish them weightless to suspended cruising trout.

Favorite colors: bright red, pink, chartruse.

Anyone have any other very effective colors? What about sizes? I fish mine in 14 almost exclusively.

When I fish them, I simply dead drift them like a nymph.

I think they have limited utility, but are deadly in a narrow range of situations, including:

1) Newly stocked rainbows and brook trout. My wife and I stood in one place on the DH section of the North Mills in North Carolina and landed about 50 fish in under 2 hours on wine colored San Juans. And this was the second time she ever picked up a fly rod. Even though I was handing them out to guys that came along, there was a resentful mob forming by the time we started back to the car.

2) Wild and stocked rainbows in limestones or tailwaters with some tint or water color. I've done well a lot of places on San Juans with these conditions, including the Falling Spring, Green Spring (many years ago) and the Crooked River in the Oregon high desert.

3) Anywhere on a limestone stream with proximity to a hatchery. Especially for RT A wine or blood red San Juan was always the go-to fly for me in places like the section of Fishing Creek between the Humphrey Hole and the outflow at Tylersville, the section of Spring Creek below Benner Spring outflow and the smaller channel coming out of the hatchery at the Paradise, just about anywhere between the hatchery outflow and the high bridge below the fly shop on the Little Lehigh.

Basically anywhere a small egg fly would also work.

Other than that, they are excellent for bluegills in farm ponds. You have to have a pretty quick strike reflex though...

I fish them like a worm when I was a kid but with a fly rod. I fish them when the water is high and muddy for stockies. I like pink earthworm and the chamois (the padster) colors. Sorry Pad I had to add that.

Joe E.

JoeE wrote:
I fish them like a worm when I was a kid but with a fly rod.....

Joe E.

For me, this would entail a 1/4 oz. sinker, a forked stick, and a large bobber. :cool:

The chamois/thin skin versions work for me all over for wild and stocked fish were there is some silt for aquatic worms to live in.

Like natural chamois in a 12 to 14 range, but tie them all the way to #6. Not a size thing, more of a weight thing. The larger hook ones sink faster and often I try to use these with no split shot or indicators and use the hook size to get it to sink properly.

Red ones on the 16 to 18 range are due well for me, and I had a time when I used wine colored chenille ones in brookie streams with good results.

I rarely fish them. I have a hard time tying one on (I just don't like them) plus I have had minimal success. But to each his own. If you like them and have a blast fishing them, stick with it. Plus it is the easiest fly to tie.

Thanks for the help and sorry about the caps lock thing im ganna try them on some stocker bows.

Pad wrote:

"I usually fish them without the capslock off."

You have to watch out for sneaky double negatives. If you reread the sentence carefully, he actually wants you to use caps. He is a moderator after all and knows about stuff like that :)

Good luck on the stocker bows. I recommend streams adjacent to hatcheries after flood events.

Light Brown with a bead head. works great. i feel no shame using them. fish eat them i tie flies that immitate fish food. if you feel shame....move to a chalk stream and fish dry flies only

Back