Rod ferrule care?

goodfortune

goodfortune

I broke a guide on my rod few weeks back, while trying to pull two stuck rod sections apart. I sent the rod back for repair under its warranty, and I just received it back from the manufacturer.

I’m thinking that I should lubricate the ferrules on my rod. What should I use to lubricate my ferrules, and how should I apply it? I have some dubbing wax for tying. Can I use that, or should I use something specifically made for ferrules?

Thanks everyone!

Most tying wax is too sticky parafin will work get at your grocery if Gram doesn't have any

I don't think I'd use dubbing wax. It may actually tend to over-lubricate the fitting and then you'll have a female section that will tend to walk out of alignment.

Sage says use paraffin. Other folks say don't use paraffin. Dave Whitlock says to use a couple drops of candle wax. A lot of rod manufacturers used to recommend plain old beeswax.

Loon actually sells a ferrule wax. You can Google it.

I think any wax that isn't inherently a bit soft should work ok. Paraffin, beeswax and candle wax all qualify based on this.

I think though that most dubbing waxes might be a little too goopy to form a good seal.

If you really want to use wax, use bees wax. Best wax in the world. Me, I just rub the male part of the ferrule on the side of my greasy nose and leave it at that. Ferrules get stick because of moisture and expansion and contraction more than anything else. Wax would just make a better water seal and it would stick more.

I'm with Tom. Nose greese is all I use. After a year or so of consistantly using the rod, you won't need to do it as often.

It's simple, when your putting the rod together, just swipe your nose with your finger and spread on the male end -- good to go.

Keep them clean and don't put them in the water. Never twist your rod together. When two sections get stuck put the lower section under your armand hold on tight while pulling the sections apart. When all else fails put hot water on the big end and then try to pull the sections apart.

From the Sage site under rod care:

“Periodically wax the ferrules (where the rod pieces separate) lightly with paraffin to ensure a firm fit and proper function.”

http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources/Getting+Started/Rod+Care+Tips/

Paraffin wax = candle wax. I’ve been using a little wax on the ferrules for more than 20 years. Since that time I have neither had a rod become stick together at the ferrules, or had my rod come apart on the stream. I apply wax on the male end of the ferrules once or twice a season depending on how much I use a particular rod. Also I wipe down my rod with pledge wax every so often as Sage recommends. That’s the extent of my rod maintenance. Using wax on the ferrules is a no-brainer for me.

I have used nose oil for more than 40 years and that has worked for all but a few out of about 30 rods, none of which are what you would call top of the line with most closer to the bottom. For the sticky few, I used candle wax, not too heavy, not very often.

None of my rods have metal ferrules. Not sure what those guys use but would be interested to hear about it since I may be restoring some old ones that have metal.

If you check Ebay you there are many pictures of old glass Fenwicks of the Ferralite series that have it written right on the rod to use parrafin wax. Many of those are still catching fish and have a dedicated following.

May have to start waxing with Pledge like Afishinado says. Seems like easy preventive maintenance.

Don't use parafin wax on metal ferrules. Also, I would hesitate to use them on spigot ferrules.

Afish got it, never put anything on metal ferrules or you'll never get them apart. You need to keep those as clean as possible otherwise the dirt will wear away the metal and the fit becomes loose. A lot of people recommend denatured alcohol to clean them. The other recommend method is to put a bunch of vasoline in the female ferrule, let it soak a bit then clean out throughly. This is supposed to suck out all dirt as well.

Orvis sent wax with the last rod I bought.Use sparingly.Old metal furrels got nose oil, the new graphite ones probably will absorb any oil which I don't think is a good thing.

For metal ferrules every now and then rub them with a bar of Ivory soap. This is what top bamboo rod makers recommend. Periodically clean both male and female ferrule with rubbing alcohol.

For graphite ferrules rub some Mucilin on them every now and then. Use the red label Mucilin not the green label.

tomgamber wrote:
If you really want to use wax, use bees wax. Best wax in the world. Me, I just rub the male part of the ferrule on the side of my greasy nose and leave it at that. Ferrules get stick because of moisture and expansion and contraction more than anything else. Wax would just make a better water seal and it would stick more.

Huh! Ya beat me to it. Works on Nickle Silver perrules too.

Thanks for the all of the responses :)

I went with the nose oil option before assembling my rod (graphite) to fish this weekend. The first two sections got stuck again; same place as last time. The bottom two sections came apart with no problems.

I haven't tried to pull them apart again yet. Chaz, I'll try what you suggest to get them apart. Looks like I'll have to wax that first ferrule when I get them loose.

Despite all the advice, nose oil is an absolute no-no! Ask any top rod maker and they will firmly recommend against the use of any kind of oil as a lubricant on ferrules. Some but not all top rod makers even recommend against paraffin or any type of lubrication as well. Their reason is any lubricant attracts dirt, which will act like sandpaper every time you assemble and disassemble the rod sections.

When it comes to assembling sections, for composite rods just about every top rod mfg recommends inserting the male end with the guides somewhat off-center and gently rotating/pushing the section snuggly into place. When it comes to disassembly, repeat the process rotating/pulling the section the opposite way. This is not a hard twist or push but rather a gentle rotation. However, you never rotate nor twist sections of a bamboo rod together – those sections get pushed straight into place. Also, there should be some space between rod sections.

If you are having problems disassembling rod sections, more than likely you pushed the sections together way too hard. If this happens, take two pieces of ¼ - ½” inner diameter rubber hose each about 5-6 inches long and cut both pieces lengthwise on one side. Slip each piece on a section as close to the ferrule joint as possible and these rubber sleeves will aid in gripping the rod. (This is also very helpful when the rod is damp or wet). This is a trick all bamboo rod makers use. The last thing you want to have happen is your hands slip and bend/break the guides and slice you hand apart. Also, never try and pull the rod sections apart with your hands placed far away from the ferrules because you can easily bend the rod resulting in snapping the ferrule. Keep the grip close.

tomgamber wrote:

Tom is right, use bees wax. BTW using it on sections of aluminum tube wading staffs works well.

I keep my rod in a case until I'm ready to assemble it, and when I disassemble it, I put it right back in the case. Unless you drag your rod through the mud or sand, rubbing a little paraffin wax on the male end of the rod section is the way to go. I would venture to say that more fisherman have damaged their rods by trying to get stuck sections apart than being damaged by grit.

Not only does wax help in not having your rod sections stick together, it helps to keep them together when fishing. I also would venture to say that more fisherman have damaged their rods by having them come apart while fishing, than damaged by grit.

As I posted, Sage and several other rod manufacturers recommend wax. Just use commom sense and inspect your rod before assembling it and keep it clean. The choice is yours.

My orvis came with some wax, so that's what I use on all my rods.

nose grease and the behind the back pull apart-

Back