Rod Ferrules

cgbwell

cgbwell

Hello All,
My question is related to purchasing fly rod ferrules for several rod builds. I have for years wanted to build my own rod and now have all the parts and pieces except the ferrules. Where can I buy them? I have searched the internet without any luck. Any links or contacts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

If you're building bamboo, you need ferrules.
If you're building fiberglass, you might need ferrules.
If you're building graphite, you don't need ferrules - they're part of the blank. Same with the modern fiberglass blanks.....

Here is a source for bamboo ferrules! http://www.goldenwitch.com/

To clarify, I have two bamboo rods that I need replacement ferrules for. I also have a graphite blank that does not have ferrules as part of the blank.
Thanks for the replies,
Chris

cgbwell wrote:
I also have a graphite blank that does not have ferrules as part of the blank.

Are you sure? I haven't seen a graphite rod that did not have some sort of built-in ferrule in a long, long time. I recall Orvis graphite rods from the early 80's with metal ferrules but haven't seen a graphite blank that needs metal ferrules in the past 8 years in which I've been building rods.

Is this a new (not old stock) blank? What's is the make and model?

Kev

Sorry guys,
I'm just an idiot. After taking a closer look at the graphite blank, it does have internal ferrules.
Thanks for the replies,
Chris

Here are some places to buy ferrules for bamboo rods. The best ferrules are nickel silver but they may cost more than your rods are worth. Mud Hole has chrome plated brass ferrules that are pretty cheap:

Mudhole Ferrules

For a high-end graphite rod, I would look at Golden Witch:

Golden Witch Ferrules

I refurbed a few older boo rods, and it’s not as easy as it looks. Here is a good article with step-by-step instructions on how to do it:

Instructions on Fitting Ferrules on Boo Rods

Good luck.

Great website afishanado. I'm going to be wasting some time there even though making a bamboo rod is something that I'll only dream of doing.

Back