Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Revenge of the Chubs?

From Carlisle
here is a link to minnow family of fish in PA.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap11.htm#creekch

Posted on: 2007/5/17 10:46

From Pittsburgh
shipnfish:

I didn't know that fallfish were also a member of the minnow family - 18" seems pretty big for a minnow!

eric:

What you caught were fallfish - I've seen lots of them with that pinkish cast.
Many fisherman call them chubs

Posted on: 2007/5/17 12:25

From Carlisle
Dryfly,

How bout the a 50lb minnow? aka the carp? Now thats a big minnow!!

I've caught "chubs" before that were short fat and had real large scales with red/pink and blue on them. I didn't see them on that page from the PFBC, but I've always wondered what they were. I used to catch a lot of those out of Green Spring in newville.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 12:43

From Southeast PA
After looking at those pictures and descriptions, I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between a fallfish and a chub. I have caught a number of "chubs" that were in the 10-12" range, and now it looks like they were probably fallfish, based on the size. The coloration that some of you guys are talking about sounds like it may be spawning colors, according to what it says in that PFBC link.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 12:52

From LV
I use bigger flies.

Posted on: 2007/5/17 14:05

From Harrisburg
I dont think so....not always. I fish a pool with trout that AVERAGE 18 inches (stocked private water that I occasionally get permission to fish) where the fall fish and trout co-exist. I'm sure there are some good meals to be had by the trout, but they hardly clean them out judging by the many fall fish I catch there. By the way, my streamers that most resemble small chubs dont catch fish there!

Jim

Posted on: 2007/5/18 14:58

I retract my previous statement. I got a few browns today in a hole where I also got about 5 chubs. Granted they were no bigger than 6", maybe trout don't share space with the bigger ones.

Posted on: 2007/5/18 18:56

6" trout are not gonna mingle with 18" trout. Big trout eat small trout.

There is a pecking order to thier position in a hole.

Posted on: 2007/5/19 1:35

Jim,

Stocked trout are not subject to the statement I made. Go visit a hatchery, there are 100million in the same run. They are conditioned to overcrowding.

A wild 18" trout will not tolerate the presence of other fish. A wild fish will not get to 18" if it subjects itself to other 18" fish, it will be eaten.

This is one of the problems I have with stocking trout over pre existing wild populations. The stockies will drive the wild trout out of holes because they do not fear other trout. A wild trout will flee a larger wild trout or take up a less contested position in a hole. Stocked trout screw everything up.

Posted on: 2007/5/19 1:39

From Harrisburg
Bede....sound logic. I'd love to see some streams go wild. There are stretchs of Clarks creek where I catch a good percentage of small wild browns in the riffles... that would do well without the pressure from stocking

Posted on: 2007/5/23 12:21

From Carlisle
Bede,

What you say reminds me of something I witnessed this weekend. I was fishing a stream with a strong population of native brookies. I got there and there were 30-40 stocked trout that someone threw into the stream. I watched some chasing the native brookies around. I caught and kept the 3 biggest ones I saw and gave them to a neighbor lady who keeps asking me for trout. It irritates me to see people who just carelessly stock trout in streams that are not supposed to be stocked.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 12:39

From Monessen, PA
You should have taken a full limit, cut their heads off and strung the heads together to be hung on a piece of monofilament from a nearby tree. I'm sure you could have found a tangle of the mono in the same tree. That would send a message. Then go back and do it all tomorrow, adding additional fishheads to your mobile.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 13:01

From lancaster county
i agree with jack on that! what kind of ignorance does it take to stock streams that are not meant to be stocked. was it class a? its a shame. i would go back and keep as many fish as you can until they are gone.
also if it was class a i would report it the the pfbc so maybe they can catch the people stocking the creek.

Posted on: 2007/5/23 13:07

From Carlisle
Its not listed on the Class A, but I would say there is a population worthy of at least a B, I caught 20 in 2 1/2 hours and saw a decent amount more. The first two stocks I caught I thought might have just swam into the stream from a stocked stream about a mile away. Then I got to this one whole with about 15 fish in it including a golden rainbow, I left him there figuring a hawk would have a good meal from him. A lot of the stockies were spooky like theyve been caught recently. The one hole I got 10 stockies and 5 brookies and everytime I brought a brookie in the browns in the hole would follow them in. My guess is a local sportsmans club or people that live nearby put them there, the stream is on gamelands too which makes it look like the were put there by selfish fisherman that were helping stock.

I like that suggestion Jack I might just have to give it a try!

Posted on: 2007/5/23 13:21

From lancaster county
still might be a good idea to report it. i know that the pfbc doesnt like stocking of waters without permission or approval. harvest those stockers and save the wilds

Posted on: 2007/5/23 13:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com