Rehoboth Beach DE

J

jswilson98

Has anyone ever fly fished at Rehoboth Beach, DE. I will be there for a week with my family and want to take the 8 wt. Any suggestions? thanks,

Judy

Indian River Inlet is your best bet. The north jetty is where I used to fish quite a bit. Take your korkers since the jetty is dangerous, and your usual flies - - deceivers and clousers. An 8 wt should be ok...but you might want a sinking line, or at least an intermediate.

In the past this time of year, you could bet into spanish macks which was kinda of neat. Also, depending on when you are going to be there you might see the mullet begin to pour out of the back bay. Certainly blues, and bass could be around.

Hit it early or late as the hardware that moves thru there can get pretty chaotic.

Good luck.

I'll second vcregular's advice. While I'm more familiar with the NJ shore, I used to hit the DE beaches back in the 80s/90s. Much depends on when you're going to be there. The mullet run is usually strongest in mid to late Sept and Oct/Nov is usually the best surf and jetty fishing. If you're heading there in the next few days you might still have some good fishing, esp in the inlet. An 8WT will be fine on the beaches if the wind and waves are mild. There ought to be some small blues and perhaps some weakies or flounders in the surf and a green over white Clouser about 4 inches long and maybe some small white poppers should do the trick. Nightime and dawn/dusk would be best for stripers. Let us know how you made out. Good luck.

Dear Judy,

Just an alternate point of view, it's not meant as a correction to the previous advice, but maybe since you are in Rehobeth you might want to head north about the same distance from Indian River Inlet and check out Cape Henlopen State Park?

I'll admit that I have never been there but I've heard you can wade fish around there which is something you can't do at Indian River Inlet.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Did any of you ever see a big red blazer along the north jetty sand?? It used to be there all the time above the jetty in the slough area. Mostly on weekends.. or by the coast guard station.

Thanks guys. I will check out the area. I was thinking that Cape Henelopen State park would be ideal There also is a great place in Lewes on the ba y sideI want to try. Both places are wadable. I am leaving today and takin the 8 wt. some clouser minnows and some deceivers. Hopefully I will catch something. I grew up at the Jersey shore in the summers so I know lots about surf fishing. I will post if when and where i fish. Thanks for all the advice.

Judy

I surf fished at Cape Henelopen last month and it is very nice! I would try wading there. I have never fly fished in the ocean but I think you would do fine. Drive past the bath houses to the end and there is a parking lot on the right. Very relaxing and not crowded. I think it costs $8 a day per car. You can also purchase a permit to drive on the beach. Good luck!

Back