Record Grayling

Chaz

Chaz

I caught one that was 20" in Katmai National Park. The state record is 24". That video was all chopped up. I tried to watch it a couple of times. Never did get a good augio feed. Did they say how big the grayling in the video was?

it say "a tad less than 26" aka in my book wouldn't break 20

StarvinMarvin wrote:
it say "a tad less than 26" aka in my book wouldn't break 20

I don't like being negative, but I didn't think that fish looked like a 26" 5-6lb fish. Always hard to judge though. When I saw it I thought it seemed pretty comparable to the big fish I caught. One funny difference is that I caught mine on the swing on a big green egg sucking leech. They were hitting everything that day. I assumed I had caught another char and here was this big grayling.

That location looks pretty familiar. The building above the bank is a bar that has a good draft selection. Pretty sure I was there 2 weeks ago on a work/fishing trip. I think the river is the Delta Clearwater. I didn't break the 20" this year but here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

• 20130807_195221.jpg
    20130807_195221.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20130807_200214.jpg
    20130807_200214.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1
The lady of the stream, just a beautiful fish. my favorite.

That fish is never 26" in a million years. i've caught hundreds of 26" stripers (all measured) and thats not a hair over 19 i reckon/

this is the Scottish record (4lb) at 21 inches caught on the Annan:

donnely4.jpg

This is the English record from the Dorset Frome - 22". 3lb 10oz.

DSCF0153.jpg

compare that to the fish in the video and the video fish is a lot less broad.

i call shenanigans

edit: just for you Gentleman's pleasure a gratuitous shot - showing how pretty these girls are :

IMG_3497.jpg

and they smell of Thyme.

According tothis the state record is 23". I don't thin that fish is 23". Nice try Chaz.

Maybe the OP on Youtube meant it's his personal record? 19-7/8" max...

A 20 plus fish would be hard to handle with that kind of ease like in the video, that's my drawback

I didn't say it was a record, the thing was sent to me billed as a record.

Having fished the Delta Clearwater River 4 times in the past 5 years, there are definitely grayling over 23" in it. The Clearwater is a crystal clear spring river that has a very good insect population which makes for a good amount of fatties. This particular section is C&R but you can keep one grayling under 11". I don't understand the theory behind that because I've never caught one under 13". Below are some pics from my 2011 visit when we took a boat 3-4 miles upriver where there are a lot more grayling in the 20" mark. If a new state record grayling would come out of AK, it wouldn't surprise me if it came from the Clearwater; although I speculate the one in the video is 26". Looking at the size of its head, I'd say it's at least 20". If anybody wants to catch 50+ grayling a day on dry flies, take a trip to Delta Junction.

Attachments

• 1photo.jpg
    1photo.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3photo.jpg
    3photo.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_2747.jpg
    100_2747.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 1
That water looks spectacular. Not going back to AK until 2016 :-( (unless I start playing and win the lottery)

Ha great to hear. I've never fished for or caught one of these. However my step father is building a house in Delta Junction right now ;) So I'll get there I'm sure. Closest I got was Spoon fishing with a spinning rig in Valdez for kings. I will be back though, probably next summer. Gorgeous fish.

Caught a couple that hovered around 23" when in AK this summer. Amazing fish.

Back