Record Brown Trout

Tigereye

Tigereye

Not sure if this is correct forum. Mods please feel free to move. Maybe we all should consider Missouri as a trout destination. 2 studs from the lake in one year. WOW!!!!!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/brown-trout-caught-at-lake-taneycomo-sets-new-missouri-record

It says it sipped a #24 midge on 7x!

That region - Ozarks, White River, etc. - has long produced enormous BTs. I find this curious. Certainly there are plenty of deep, cold reservoirs and big rivers around the U.S. that can produce big BTs. However, in that area, they reach these huge sizes at rates rarely seen anywhere else in the U.S. To be sure, there are some sections of the Great Lakes that have huge BTs; Flaming Gorge reservoir used to be known for giants too. But this particular region of the South continues to produce fish like this.

It's almost as if they have some sort of genetic quirk - think Florida strain largemouth bass - that other BT populations lack.

Interesting.

The best answers I've ever heard to the "what's with the size of Ozark trout?" question are: limestone geology and the resulting extremely fecund forage bases and long growing season. By comparison to most places, these fish spend a lot more time getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

I'm not really sure these things account for the difference, but they are the best reasons I've heard so far.

I saw that article the other day as well. I have a friend that went down to the White River a few times and streamer fished at night. The pics of the hogs that he caught are quite impressive.

That region of Missouri is loaded with limestone spring creeks like we have in southcentral Pa. There were no trout native to there. Their spring creeks are very nice full of wild rainbows and wild browns. It is likely this nutrient load that contributes to the size of the trout. I have buddies that pull huge wild browns out of Blanchard every year ice fishing that are 20". In college at Mansfield, we shocked up a couple native brookies out of Hammond lake in 2007 that weighed over a pound each and were 13-14". Near the mouth of Stephenhouse. Huge nutrient load going in there from crooked creek. There are huge trout in Tioga lake as well. Worked there for the army corps in 2007-2008 electroshocking. Even filmed a couple of tv shows for Alan Probst on those lakes. There are huge trout in Pa lakes. Check out the biologist report for Quemahoning Lake in Somerset county. Look at the size of those monsters they got trap netting. Visit the area there, and its all fertilized farmland with cold water.

It all boils down to primary productivity of zooplankton and phytoplankton, if there are plenty of them, it exponentiates the amount of forage fish that will be available. I.e alewives, gizzard shad, etc. The difference in forage base is why Lake Michigan can produce 40 pound browns, and Lake Erie can't top 20 pounds.

I'm sorry, I missed RLeeP2's post. Didn't intend to repost the same info again.

FwIW:
https://troutster.com/brown-trout-records/
Thats a bigun. GG

There are gorgeous spring creeks in the Ozarks. Too bad some of them are pay to fish and stocked daily "trout parks." How was for such high quality cold water.

Back