Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Recommended FF guides near Gettysburg?

Hi everyone, first off I wanted to say that I have been reading through many of the past year's forum posts and thank you all for your wealth of info. I'm hoping some of you can help me out--perhaps I'm blind, but I can't seem to find any posts regarding recommended FF guides/services for hire.

My husband and I are advanced novice to intermediate FF enthusiasts who would like to hire a guide who is well versed with the local rivers near Gettysburg, who can take us a for a fun FF day on the water in the hopes of catching trout (or any fish species that is available over Memorial Weekend, we're not picky). I've read as much as I could on the Letort, Yellow Breeches, Spring Creek, etc. but given how tough some of these waters are, we don't want to ruin it for more advanced FF people and scare away all the fish!

Can someone please point me to a list of recommended guides that offer their services within 2 hours' drive of Gettysburg? I have found several fly shop and guide websites but would prefer to get recommendations since this is our first time in the area and want to make the most of it with a responsible, knowledgeable, and patient FF guide.

Any links to previous posts or any new suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

Posted on: 2013/3/21 21:37

Re: Recommended FF guides near Gettysburg?

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Mike Heck click on his name to get to his website. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and a hell of a fishermen. He is also a forum member.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 22:35

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Eastern PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Mike Heck click on his name to get to his website. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and a hell of a fishermen. He is also a forum member.

There could not be a better recommendation. Seriously. I guarantee your satisfaction with Mike. And his rates are amazing.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 0:20

Book with Mike, very skilled and knowledgeable.

PS-If my ex-wife was more like you, she wouldn't be my ex-wife!

Posted on: 2013/3/22 2:06

From Ferguson Twp.
All of the above, and his flies are top shelf.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 6:26

From down the block from the Letort.
Mike's a good guy, also give a call into Yellow Breeches Outfitters as an option.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 10:34

From Philadelphia
+6 for Mike. The guy is simply fun to be around and he knows his stuff.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:07

From Dauphin
Mike Heck is probably the best choice. And i Believe there is a new guy on here crepscular he guides in the area.

Fishidiot as well :)

Posted on: 2013/3/22 12:25

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Fishidiot as well :)

I'm not a fishing guide.
I often take friends from this forum fishing around here - for free - and this is sometimes described as "guided by Fishidiot" here on these forums - sorry for the confusion.

In addition to Mike Heck (a very good choice), I'd add to the list two excellent guides near here: Tom Baltz and Tony Dranzo. Tom and Tony know the area very well and are among the best known local fishing guides. Tom and Tony can show you Letort, Yellow Breeches etc and they can also take you to some of the lesser known streams around Gettysburg too. Send me a PM and I can get you Tom and Tony's contact info.
Memorial Day is a good time to fish around Gettysburg but don't wait till mid summer as the local trout streams in the immediate Gettysburg area are stocked fisheries, get warm, and usually don't fish well for trout once July rolls around.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 16:42

From Dauphin
I know FI. Just thought i'd throw ya in there.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 16:44

From Boilingsprings
Thanks for the endorsement Dave. That weekend is quick to book up so whoever you decide on I recommend to do it asap. The Sulphurs will be on the down hill side but most area streams will still have some. If it does not warm up it may be peak. Also this is a good time to start some terrestrials. Were are you coming from?

Posted on: 2013/3/22 18:33

Hi everyone, thank you SO much for your recommendations, we really appreciate it! I called Mike and he was very nice (and available, phew!), so we are now looking into whether we can take time off to make the trip out. I have really enjoyed reading through all the various posts and love that the enthusiasm for the sport really shines through, whether you're helping out a novice or a tourist, or getting into the details of equipment and knots. Thank you all so much for your help, it is invaluable and much appreciated!

And "azjackstraw", thank you for the comment, I took it as a compliment. Can't wait to go home to show my husband your note, I always tell him how lucky he is but he never seems to believe me. :) I organized fly fishing trips for us in New Zealand, Costa Rica, all over California, and just booked us for a week in Alaska for salmon fly fishing, but he says I do it b/c I like it just as much as he does. And I do, but still, I say he's pretty lucky haha. =)

Posted on: 2013/3/22 20:09

Hi Addictedangler, thanks for your recommendation to book soon, I agree that we should reserve someone soon since it's bound to be a popular weekend (I'm hoping most people will be doing things in town so perhaps the rivers won't be as crowded). We're coming from Northern CA, and thought it would be fun to try some stream fly fishing if/when we visit Gettysburg (we've never been to the area but reading through all the posts we wanna experience some of the PA waters ourselves!) But I may be losing my job in the next few weeks so that would put this trip on hold, so we'll see. :)

Posted on: 2013/3/22 20:14

From Boilingsprings
Looking at were you have already fished I hope you will not be disappointed in our local fishing. Not that it is not good but we have a fair amount of fishing pressure. Not only do you have to outsmart the fish but you usually need to be a better fishermen then the last guy fishing. Perhaps you need to have a tour of the area streams with some fishing mixed in. If you have read about our area there is a lot of fishing history from here. You may be pleased to see and experience some of the history of how flyfishing evolved in the US. Hope you can make it here and enjoy your trip.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 21:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com