Reasons I WENT to the Jam:

Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

Was out fishing all week in the Kettle Creek area, but decided to stop at the Jam on the way home. It was a really good decision!

Got there @ 4pm, and headed right for the pavillion. Some observations:

Hemlock Acres is one beautiful campground. Got to meet Rudy (the owner) and his Dad. Very nice people, and they bend over backwards to treat the PAFF guys very well. I stopped at the office, and asked if I needed to register as a visitor. Nope - they said here's where the pavillion is, and have a good time. Asked how long I could stay - until they kick you out (and they didn't). They came up and socialized with us. You get treated like a friend, and a welcome guest.

As soon as I got to the pavillion, I saw some familiar faces, and friends and fishing brothers started pouring in. Man, it was great to see these guys again!

Jakesleakywaders and myself had a few too many beers to head out to fish the evening hatch, so we just worked on putting a dent in the coolers. Jake is a riot! Everyone else headed out to fish. We started the party, and more and more guys joined in. The guys that went out caught lots of fish on very large mayflies - THE hatch is on big time, the Creek is perfect, and the weather was great!

As it got dark, the party grew. And grew. I couldn't remember what number came after thwenny sebbben :lol: , so I didn't get a head count, but it looked like around 50 guys. Fifty of the finest people you could ever hope to meet. There is no bickering as sometimes happens in "discussions" here on the board. Face to face, we're all old familiar friends.

Jonas from "The Feathered Hook" gave a talk about fishing Penns, and it was terrific! He passed on his knowledge and experiences in a way only Jonas can. ;-)

Knowing I had a three hour drive ahead of me, I still stayed until almost 1 AM, when the lights at the pavillion were turned off. I didn't want to go, but it was time. I left with a tear in my eye, knowing I won't see many of these guys for another year. It was a sobering experience (literally for me). Time flew by so fast!

Good Luck, my friends. May you have an epic weekend of fishing, and lots more of the great times that define what PAFF is.

H.A.

That's awesome H-A, wish I could have joined you!

Sorry I missed you, I was there during the day yesterday and left around 2:00.

See ya in a few weeks at Little Pine

Sorry I couldn't make it there either. I was fishing the awesome Green Drake hatch on the lower end of Penns all weekend. I am making sure that I will make it there next year.

Sorry I missed you, Ed.
Good time was had by all.
For those who missed it, here is the typical daily progression for any PAFF member on any given day at noon, dusk, midnight, and 3am...

Attachments

• P5230243.JPG
    P5230243.JPG
    781 KB · Views: 2
  • P5230229.JPG
    P5230229.JPG
    810.1 KB · Views: 1
  • P5220206.JPG
    P5220206.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 1
  • P5220210.JPG
    P5220210.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 2
I came to the Jam for many reasons, but the ones that came immediately to mind were:
- To spend a few days fishing, which has become my favorite pastime;
- To try camping for the 1st time;
- To meet some new folks, and to soak up some fishing knowledge by being around all of you

I'm really glad I came. Over the Jam weekend, I caught my first native; special thanks to pcray1231 for taking us all out :-D. Brookie fishing is a blast, and I'm itching to do it again.
While fishing at the Benner Springs Access on the way back home yesterday, I also caught my best wild fish to date - an 18" brown. He hit a March Brown Wet on the swing, and gave me an intense fight. I only got one camera phone pic before my battery died...I gotta get a decent waterproof digital; LOL
Spring Creek Brown 5-23-10.jpg

Hope to see you guys on the water again soon :-D.

Ed, I definately had a good time, and was great meeting some good people.

Next time I'm only going to bring a six pack. Maybe none. I get goin' and don't stop.

I might have forgotten a screen name or two throughout the process. I do know I can put a face to at least two dozen people.

Had a good time on Penn's just didn't do well. I am not used to fishing so close to people and it threw me off. I'm fishing up stream, some guys are fishing downstream, all trying to avoid each other. At one point I was sitting on a rock in the stream tying on a fly and this old fart comes down the stream, acts like he doesn't see me then starts wading in next to me. I stand up, to fish and he looks at me like where the hell did you come from and why are you in my hole. Now I Know he didn't mistake me for a rock, I was wearing a burnt orange hat. Penn's was tough, and before it was all over I fell in and walked through the tunnel soaking wet.

Jack, you and Gino are alright, Gino seems like good kid, has a reserved attitude. Hey, I'll never stick my finger in your face and jump across a pic a nic bench at you, inside joke, actually not very funny.

Nate, Shakey it was cool fishin' with you guys, Nate, I never did get your screen name and the 20 inch rims got to go if you want to go faster than 10 m.p.h. on the forest roads, lol. Shakey, thanks again, at least someone caught some trout.

PaulG, thanks for having good coffee ready for all us sorry hungover, fly fishing, beer drinkers.

I really wish it hadn't rained so much Saturday night, I got stuck in my tent with my last pair of dry clothes.

Next time I'm up that way I'll remember a few things, last Mcdonald's is in Lewistown or Mcallisterville, bring less beer, I would've got in a lot more fishin' and met more people if I weren't half drunk all day. Bring the GPS because it has restaurants listed which would be better than eating rare burgers off a propane stove. Bring more than forty dollars, what was I thinking? Avoid any section of Penn's near a prominent hatch. Fish like I would fish my home water, spend more time fishing smaller native streams.

Next time I'll bring "On the wagon Jake" along too.

That's a great, realist, point of view.

You might have gotten more fishing in, but would you have had more fun?

I can and do have a good time without large amounts of alcohol,

by the way what kind of bourbon was that and who had it. Was it Bruno's. Somebody also brought some Evan Williams around.

Had I not drank, I would have gotten some brookie fishing in Friday evening and early Saturday morning however, I did have a good time anyway.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:

by the way what kind of bourbon was that and who had it. Was it Bruno's. Somebody also brought some Evan Williams around.

Bruno had Bulleit Bourbon I think there were at least three of us with bottles of Evan. It was nice meeting you Jake.

Boyer

My Jam experience:

I got home from work Friday night about 5:15 pm and started loading up the RAV. I get everything loaded and was just about to leave when I glanced at the front tire as I walked by and noticed a nail in it. Just great! Not taking this vehicle on the trip. I move all my gear to one of my other cars all the while dreading how uncomfortable it’s going to be to sleep in the car. But it’s only one night and I can deal with it. So I take the flat tire off, put on the spare and tell the wife to get the flat fixed on Saturday while I’m gone. Finally on the road, I’m just hoping nothing else bad will happen.

I arrived at Hemlock Acres around 9:30 pm and meet David at the office who is also looking for Rudy. We talked for awhile as several anglers returned from the streams and made a bee line to the pavilion. I finally tracked Rudy down at the pavilion and got squared away for the night. Now I can get down to the one of the main requirements of the Jam, socializing. It was great seeing so many friends and acquaintances again. Jonas’s talk was fantastic. I went to “bed” around one, I think, the whole time trying to decide where to go on Saturday. I was torn between Spring and Penn’s. After last year’s experience on Penn’s, I was apprehensive about trying it again. Thought, maybe I would have more consistent fishing on Spring. Plus, I felt more prepared for Spring as compared to Penn’s. I slept on it.

Sleeping was rough at best so I was the first to Saturday morning coffee at the pavilion. Thankfully, the coffee was brewed. I finally concluded that I should fish Penn’s just to see the green drakes. I tied up a few more gd nymphs before settling my tab with Rudy. I stopped by The Feathered Hook on my way out to pick up some flies (very much needed and it paid off) and to verify some directions.

I found myself just upstream from Cherry Run. I met three guys in the parking lot (excuse me for not remembering your names) and we proceeded up to the Ranger house pool. We found Christian and Jay’s group resting on the grass there with reports of a couple of nice fish. I watched the water as I rigged up and noticed several fish rising here and there with sulfur and caddis being the predominate flies. Green Drakes were hatching sporadically as well.

I ended up missing the first four fish on my coffin fly. They would come up suck it in, turn down, I set the hook and NOTHING! After that I took off the dropper and trimmed the hackle back. I finally caught the fish in the first pic who was under some hemlocks. I worked my way up to the braids and saw several people fishing further up so I started back down. I met one of the locals as I trekked through the woods. (pic2) I bumped into Maurice and his brother Jim just before I baptized myself as they watched. I was invited back to the car for some hot dogs but as Jim and I walked past the next hole, we saw fish rising and just had to stop. I managed to catch one 15” by feeding line and getting a 50 ft drift. Maurice caught back up to us and he and I went to the car and Jim stayed.

After eating we settled in hole where several other guys were sitting and waiting for something to happen. At this point it started raining. We were seeing a few coffin flies and sulfurs were hatching with the occasional fish rising here and there. I saw Maurice fiddling with line so I thought he was changing flies and soon caught one. I paused, looked up and noticed March Browns ??? coming down. I tied a rusty spinner on as a dropper, suspecting Maurice had done something similar. I started missing several fish before I hooked one and my knot gave way. I quickly retied and started missing more fish. Finally had one on and quickly knew he was big. After what seemed like forever, Maurice netted the fish in the third pic. Easily, my biggest fish on a fly rod. Afterwords we stumbled out of the water and made our way to the cars.

I had a great time and look forward to it next year.

GEDC1624.jpg

GEDC1633.jpg

GEDC1634.jpg

The reason I went to the jam was to make some friends and do some fishing.

I can say I accomplished that and more. I had such a kick *** time. Wish I stayed the weekend and not just the day.

I showed up at the pavilion Sat morning and met a few people who were still around.. was invited to tag along fishing with Jack, Shakey , Jake. Geno. It was a lot of fun and got to see a some of the river. I can say I caught a few fish in the famous Penns Creek. (Chubs count right? lol)

That night I got to meet a lot more of the folks and had a good time listening to all the story's and picked up a lot of tips to improve my fishing.. I was also convinced to give Pocket water a try. I HATE pocket water but was assured it is not as hard to fish as I was making it out to be.. so next time I get out. I am heading to the Pocket water.

I also Won something in the raffle. I got the Reel.
Now if anyone can give me some Info on it so I can put it to good use. It is not marked anywhere. it does look like a Allen& Co reel. but I could be wrong. Also remember that it might be a 5/6?

Till next time.

~Redsun

Ps.
Jake-

thanks for driving 10mph. And I will keep the Dubs on but maybe barrow a different car next time LOL.

Shakey-

I like hot chicks!!

I was slightly hesitant while riding out to the jam, never been there before, didn't know what to expect. maybe a bunch of stuffy snobby guys. WOW, couldn't have had a better time!! what a great group of folks!! didn't fish near enough, but I kinda figured this would be more of a social trip. it was great to finally put faces to everyone's names, and actually learn some folks real names!!
can't wait till time!
another plus is the beauty of penns valley, it's great little towns and friendly people. fished right in coburn saturday, lots of towns folk just walking by and stopping to chat, really cool, that just doesn't happen much where I live. sunday night I hit the james mcmurtry show at the elk creek cafe, excellent show, glad I went. afterwards he came over, sat at the bar, had some drinks, and just hung out talking to folks.
a great weekend for sure!
thanks to everyone for the wonderful time!

"SALMON RIVER"!!!!!!!!!

I've been on this site for going on 4 years now. It amazes me first off how much I think I know, but how little I actually know lol. The JAM is a great time to meet up with people of all skill levels but yet have one common goal... catch fish. I recognized many faces but there were many more that I met up with and got a chance to fish with this year. I always enjoy meeting people from the board and am amazed at how many faces I recognized when I got there, as last year was my first year attending. I look forward to trying to organize a steelhead JAM in the fall again (pending the new baby situation) and seeing many faces again. Always a pleasure.

I only got skunked on the small stream that we happened upon while Alby took us on the "scenic route", so it was a good fishing weekend even though I didn't catch any fish of size. (crushed them on Sunday on the way back home). The best time is just sitting around the pavillion and catching up with guys. Pretty much just like on the board but in person. Everyone is nice, even when they're so drunk they can't fish. My only regrets were I came back too late to hear Jonas (which I was looking forward too), couldn't hear Dave Wolf from where I was standing (hoping the video comes out from SkyBay), and didn't catch a darn thing on a GD pattern, but besides that it was a fantastic trip. My highlight was watching 4 guys catch their first native brookie and the fear in the eyes of those brookies from 9 guys on the same stream stalking them from all angles. Also watching my buddy Greg catch 10 natives on the stream on the way home. I had a blast and can't wait to do it again next year.

Ryan Gouldsbarry

(I'll post some pics once I get my new photobucket account up and working)

Hey David... those pictures pretty much describe it except for 2 main flaws.... picture 2 should be repeated a few dozen times first, and the same with picture 3 afterwards lol.

I'm glad I wet because the only thing that would have kept me home got rained out. Finally fished drakes at Penn's. No blow out. Jam is always a good time.

I went to soak up as much knowledge as I could. It helps when you are surrounded by so many great guys. I was disappointed the first 2 days but Sunday made up for all of that. I arrived around 9 on Friday morning and didn't catch a fish all day. Saturday I finally caught my first wild brookie but that was all I got that day. On Sunday Ryguyfi and I hit the mother-load. I caught 10 wild brookies and he caught 20 in about 4 hours. I want to throw a big thank you out to all the people involved in the planning of the weekend. I had a blast. Also a big thanks goes to the sponsors of the jam. I won the chest pack in the raffle and it is great. I needed one and not I don't have to go buy one. I know I'm rambling but I had a great time and look forward to next year.

This trip is already on my agenda for next year. I really wish I would have been able to make it this year, it sounds like everyone had a great time. If that steelhead JAM gets put together though I'm all over it!

greg, I noticed you were trying out that new chest pack on your way home!! good for you!

Back