Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Rattle snake encounters?
From Chester County
How 'bout this category?:

Percentage of annual snakebite victims who had a blood alcohol level greater than 0.1 = 40%

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:03

From Pa
If you fish the Upper Pine DHALO, where Owasee enters the Pine, be nice to this guy. He lives just about 150 yards above the road and is extremely friendly.

Resized Image

Snakes along the stream, venomous or not, can always get the heart rate accelerated

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:29

wait is that one snake above eating a trout? Did you just find it that way with the trout already captured?

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:43

From Schuylkill County
Although water snakes, these guys are regulars along Spring Creek, I've seen them several times.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0059.jpg (179.82 KB)
137_4bb37d0a347f4.jpg 558X372 px

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:49
if you look at it right...

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

DGC wrote:
I've encountered rattlesnakes a number of times near streams in PA and MD, and Copperheads in MD.

Northern MD Rattler, July 2009:

Hi There!

Northern Water Snake, SC PA, October 2009

Northern Water Snake and Brown Trout

It's the non-venomous snakes that drop out of tree limbs overhanging the stream that have startled me the most.

I find this first pic somewhat disturbing. Right along the stream edge would have been the last place I'd expect to see a rattler. I thought they didn't care for cooler/shaded wet areas? Now I'll be on extra alert the next time I'm fishing Clinton/Potter counties. If I never see a rattle snake it'll be too soon. They just give me the heebee geebees.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 17:28

From Pa
Heebie jeebies here to. Many years ago I was fishing a big pool above the town of Bushkill known as "The Walk In" area. I was killing trout at that time, and had several on the stringer dangling from my belt loop. There was a great spinner fall occuring and I was totally engrossed in working a nice trout that was feeding steadily. Darkness came, and I could still hear that trout still slurping. As long as he was slurping, I kept fishing for him. Suddenly I felt some extra tugging on the stringer. I pointed my light down at it, and was skeered outta my skin by a pretty good sized water snake fixing to steal my trouts.

If you've never seen a short fat white boy do the moondance on top of the water, you should have been there that night.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 17:44

From South Central PA
For some of the questions about the Water Snake and the brown trout in the photo, see:

A Slinky Fisherman

For those interested in cold water and rattlesnakes, note salvelinusfontinalis post # 6 in the that thread.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 18:02

From da burgh
I hate this thread. In my time living in the perkiomen valley I would see a load of brown water snakes. Skippack Creek was like a breeding ground for those creeps. They were the most aggresive snake I have ever encountered.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 18:26

From York County
Saw one rattler while fishing and it was at Stony Creek. Thing was 6-7 feet long and about 4 inches thick. We walked past it, with my buddy's girlfriend almost stepping on it. She jumped clear across the trail. I didn't realize how large they got.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 20:57

From LV
All the back country fishing I done in the last forty years, and I've never seen a poisonous snake anywhere I've been. I've seen plenty of bears, a couple of bobcats, raccoons, possums, skunks, and the most elusive of critters deer.

Posted on: 2010/4/1 22:33

From Lancaster
We had a few rattler sightings at one of the early jams on Penns. That was pretty comical as several jammers were on walkie talkies when Paul freaked out about a snake he saw. The guys nearby said it looked like Paul could walk on water!

I was about a half mile downstream and just got this weird feeling I was being watched, turned around and saw this guy heading right towards me in the current. I tapped it with the tip of my rod until the current swept it past. I was wishing I had a rod longer than 8'.

We still get a chuckle out of that story

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=87

Posted on: 2010/4/2 14:06

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>up here in the nw we have water mockisns i have seen them in elk creek on occasions.>

Well, Jay pretty much covered it. I grew up and lived most of my life around Waterford and it is about 600 miles north of the nearest Water Moccasin, which makes Girard about 614 miles north of the nearest one...:)

The common Water Snake is a mean son of a pup though. Many, many years ago, before all this property rights stuff got it posted, I was fishing LeBoeuf Creek for smallmouth with UL spin gear. A big water snake swam across the creek right in front of me, so just for kicks I reached out and bopped it with my rod tip. It swam right at me and struck my rubber hip boot about 5 times as quick as you could blink. They're ornery. I don't mess with them.

I fished a good many years in places in PA where I should have seen a rattler and in all that time, I *may* have caught a fleeting glimpse of one on a Cameron County stream. The only rattler I know I've seen for sure was one laying out on the hardpan in SW Wisconsin where they are way less common than in PA.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 16:17

Boy, what a "nasty" topic! I have encountered rattlers several times over the years. most recently 10 years ago when I nearly stepped on one in the near dar about a 1/2 hour walk from my truck. Your topic's reminder of this and other incidents had me jumping pretty high for an old man when I tramped on some sticks in the woods recently! Geez....

Posted on: 2010/4/2 18:08

...and, I have noticed there are far fewer water snakes on the streams I fish than there used to be. Like frogs, they seem to be disappearing--sadly, IMO.
(dark -- I actually can spell it, previous post)

Posted on: 2010/4/2 18:10

From Lancaster County
Quote:

DGC wrote:
For some of the questions about the Water Snake and the brown trout in the photo, see:

A Slinky Fisherman

For those interested in cold water and rattlesnakes, note salvelinusfontinalis post # 6 in the that thread.

I remember reading salvelinusfontinalis' post and being a bit skeptical, because I think he had been referring to a stream in Lancaster county - and there aren't rattlers here. Or of course, it could also have been a multi-county trip that day, as some bordering counties do have rattlers and it would be possible to encounter them there. Or my memory of the stream he had posted about the day before could also be faulty :)

My rattler inventory:

One baby timber rattler, at a cabin in Lycoming County; we found it when I was a kid and put it in a Ziplock bag
Two diamondbacks (one in Wyoming, one in Utah) during geology field camp
Two timber rattlers in Sullivan County (hiking at Kettle Creek vista); one golden phase, about six feet long, and one black phase, about four feet long; abandoned that as a campsite after encountering those two and three garter snakes; also stepped over one snake on the Loyalsock trail that I'm pretty sure was a rattler but I didn't look back or take the time to identify
Two timber rattlers in Mifflin County at a cabin - one baby and one about black phase about five feet long.
One black phase timber rattler in Potter County; encountered on the Susquehannock Trail

Only one was fishing related, encountered while walking back out a hiking trail after fishing upstream.

Rattlers are at home in the water; they can swim but I've never seen any in the water. I remember a story about a guy fishing in Colorado who had one wrap itself around his leg, hang out for a bit, then let go and meander on downstream.

I have encountered large northern brown water snakes (reaching six feet). They have the tendency to make me stop fishing when I run into one that long. Had one swim through my legs while fishing Donegal Creek years ago; end of fishing. Also ran into one on Black Bear Run (Lycoming County); I turned around and skipped the whole rest of the stream. Finally, the biggest one I've ever saw was on the ATW section of West Branch Octorara; almost stepped on it; the snake high-tailed it down the stream, and this fisherman did the same in the opposite direction and called it a day.

For a previous rehash, see this thread from last year.

Note: I dislike snakes in a bad way. I can handle garter snakes, but do not care for black snakes or the poisonous kind. Had a six foot black snake shed it's skin in my basement this past summer; no idea how it got in and did not see it or any sign of it since, so I'm hoping it got out and got in because I left the garage door open too long. My worst (and probably mostly irrational) fear is having a snake drop onto me from anyway - from a tree, a roof, etc. When I was a five-year old, we were clearing a wooded lot where my parents were going to build a house. What I think now was a skink came out of the brush pile we had assembled and I thought it was chasing me. I've been nervous of slithering reptiles and their kin ever since.

Pics are baby rattler from Mifflin County and Potter County rattler; the others listed were pre-digital camera vintage and I don't have them scanned in yet.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0914.JPG (63.33 KB)
957_4bb6a64895ec5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_0989.JPG (65.27 KB)
957_4bb6a68b79442.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/4/2 22:17

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com