Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Rattle snake encounters?

From Morgantown WV
If I see one of those things i will be done fishing for the day. Not a snake lover.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 21:51

From Harrisburg
All these years and different counties and I have yet to see a rattler or copperhead. Did have a dog get whacked by one last year though. The vet couldn't determine which one, just a "venomous snake".
The dog did in fact pull through. Took about a week.
Great patterns in that photo Greenman.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 5:36

From Gettysburg
Quote:

jayL wrote:

We do not have water moccasins. The only water snakes here are harmless brown water snakes.

"It is also worth noting that the northern water snake is often confused for the water moccasin. The water moccasin (cottonmouth) is a venomous, southern species that reaches the northernmost part of its range in southern Virgina. Water moccasins, despite urban legend, do not occur in Pennsylvania"

I'll second this. If yuh see a guy here in PA packing heat for "moccasins" give him a wide berth. Pretty soon he'll be blasting harmless water snakes. Water moccassins (AKA "cottonmouths") are however fairly common down South. I saw many in TX, FL, and in the James River drainage in VA.
In over 30 years of FFing and hiking here in PA I have yet to see a rattlesnake.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 7:47

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I've seen a couple, both rattlers and copperheads. Only ever saw copperheads near where I grew up though (NE of Pitt), never saw one anywhere else.

You know they're around when you see these:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/3/31 8:15

From Carlisle
I've come across 3 rattlers while fishing. One just layed there as I "walked" past it. The other 2 jetted as soon as they saw me as did I when I saw them. 2 were along Stony Creek in Dauphin County and 1 was along the Conococheague Creek in Franklin. I've also come across 2 others in Stony Creek while mountain biking and 1 in Perry county while hiking.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 8:20

From Enola, Pa.
Scare to death of snakes, which most of my buddies know, I guess thats why Im always the guy who gets to see them I've seen one that I know for sure rattlers,on Clarks, although I don't hang around to see what they are. I hope I never see another one.

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/3/31 8:27

From South Central PA
I've encountered rattlesnakes a number of times near streams in PA and MD, and Copperheads in MD.

Northern MD Rattler, July 2009:

Hi There!

Northern Water Snake, SC PA, October 2009

Northern Water Snake and Brown Trout

It's the non-venomous snakes that drop out of tree limbs overhanging the stream that have startled me the most.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 10:04

From Bozeman
DGC,

Luckily, it hasn't happened to me... but I know a few people that have had them drop right on to their head. I would lose it.

I have had black snakes swipe at me from trees before, but not dropping on me. Shudder...

Posted on: 2010/3/31 10:11

From Berks County
I have only seen one rattlesanke. I almost stepped on it while walking the bank of Slate Run. Luckily, it rattled and let his presence known. I have fished many wilderness streams and that is the only one I have seen. It did scare the crap out of me though.

Troy

Posted on: 2010/3/31 10:11

I've been bit by garter snakes numerous times when I was young, always handling them.

I got bit (sort of) by a black racer a few years back. Stepped on his tail without seeing him. Felt a bump and pressure, looked down and my wading boots were on his tail and his mouth around my gravel guard. He didn't break through. That one still scares me a bit, that coulda been a rattler and I woulda had a real bad day.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 10:27

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
I've been bit by garter snakes numerous times when I was young, always handling them.

I got bit (sort of) by a black racer a few years back. Stepped on his tail without seeing him. Felt a bump and pressure, looked down and my wading boots were on his tail and his mouth around my gravel guard. He didn't break through. That one still scares me a bit, that coulda been a rattler and I woulda had a real bad day.

Come on, bro. You know I would have carried you out (maybe).

Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:13

I'll echo what most of you have said: 42 years tromping through the woods hunting and fishing all of SE, NE, NC, and SC PA and I have seen 1 rattler. That was 3 years ago on Penns. It was in the morning, mid 40's and it was sunning itself on an island. I poked it for a while and took some photos and video of it. It only wanted to slither away.

SOAPBOX ALERT: Please do not wantonly kill snakes b/c you fear them. I'm sure most of you would not, but they are an important predator. As some of you have said, they only strike people when threatened or startled (and sometimes not even then).

OK, I'm done. Be safe & carry on.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:19

Quote:
Come on, bro. You know I would have carried you out (maybe).

Is the scream still echoing up there?

Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:26

From Chester County

Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:28

Quote:
Percentage of annual snakebite victims who are white males between 19 & 30 = 50%

I'm crying race and age discrimination!!! Thankfully, I'm 30, so I'm no longer between 19 and 30.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 11:41

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com