From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
It seems more crowded.

well, that's obviously because of the

SPOTBURNZZZZ.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 7:27

Re: Rant about spot burning warning!!!
Webmaster
Krayfish I know I have heard the same thing before about this view that there are more fly fishing anglers than every before.

Hard to know what we think we were seeing on the stream 15 years ago and what we actually are encountering today. It is true that the number of fishing licenses sales in Pa have declined about 30% in 22 years.

Looking at more of this, I think the national data and the PA data show different trends. The US data shows a small decline in fishing from 2001 to 2006 and then a small jump back to 2001 levels by 2011. PDF Data here

The states population has grown about 5% over the last 20 years, so the issue is not related to that.

There are less people fishing due to competing lifestyle activities. I spent more time hunting and fishing 20 years ago then today. For many they spend more time standing around at soccer practices than they do in a stream. Or more importantly SBecker's stream :)

Posted on: 2013/10/25 7:51

People are just changing. Fewer young people even drive:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/286723-perc ... icense-continues-to-drop/

why?:

"We think that there are three main reasons for the reduced percentage of young persons with a driver's license:

*Electronic communication reduces the need for actual contact (and some young people feel that driving interferes with texting)

*Current economic downturn is making it more difficult for young persons to buy and maintain a vehicle

*Young people are moving in increasing numbers to large cities with reasonable public transportation (e.g., New York and San Francisco)"

Posted on: 2013/10/25 8:31

From Dauphin PA
Kids are virtual fishing? LOL. The parents need to kick their butts outside. There's more things in life besides a PS3 and computer. I have to run ...checking Facebook, writing blog and browsing several sites. LMAO

I'm always willing to hell newbies and share my limited fishing knowledge.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 8:44

From Lehigh Valley
Dave K,
I think the decrease in license sales or folks fishing is also due to the fact that a lot of the population from the greatest generation is slowly passing away. Remember prior to WW2 things were different, folks had hard times then the war came and the men went off to war an the men who didn't worked a lot so there wasn't as much time fore leisurely pursuits. After the war , folks came home they had a bustling economy they made more money an had also time to use it.
Over time things such as the disintegration of the American Family household has taken it's toll on the recruitment of younger anglers joining the ranks. Single parents homes and also the choices of a younger generation have taken different paths.
It is hard for a woman/man that is working two jobs to make a livable wage to make ends meet and pay the bills while also juggling time to make sure that the children have eaten, done their homework. At the end of the day a good meal , hot shower clean/dry/warm bed is all that some care about.
When I was growing up during the 70's and 80's in Pennsylvania the Monday following Thanksgiving was considered A State holiday. I Went deer hunting with my dad and grandfather... there was no other distractions...... today kids have Computers/Ipads/Cell Phones etc. different world.
As for Flyfishing... well until there is another great flyfishing movie to temporarily popularize this aspect of angling... we are going to keep seeing a decline. The Yuppies all wanted to be Brad Pitt . After they went an dumped a lot of cash to look like an orvis model sans the skills. They found out that the effort to become successful was not worth their continued devotion to something a lot of us have accepted as our religion/therapy. It takes time and experience and also a willingness to continue through the skunk at times to enjoy our sport that's why it is called fishing not catching.
I truly believe however that if a person learns to flyfish and the various skills are learned this also transcends their other angling prsuits and makes them a better Angler. Same Apllies to hunting too, If you take up Archery , It will also make you a better gun hunter.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 12:50

Quote:

afishinado wrote:

Fly fishing is popular among men, with males making up 76.4
percent of all participants. Participants also tend to be older and
more educated than those in other categories. More than 42
percent of participants are over the age of 45, and more than 44
percent have a college or post-graduate degree.

2006 6.1 million participants
2.2% of Americans ages 6+
2007 5.8 million participants
2.1% of Americans ages 6+
2008 5.9 million participants
2.1% of Americans ages 6+
2009 5.6 million participants
2.0% of Americans ages 6+
2010 5.5 million participants
1.9% of Americans ages 6+
2011 5.7 million participants
2.0% of Americans ages 6+

From the numbers afish posted it looks like flyfishing numbers are pretty steady.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 13:27

From Pgh
While those numbers show flyfishing remaining steady, it does not reflect the one niche that shows a dramatic drop.... Men with young daughters.

In this category, one will see a complete and hopeless drop of time spent fishing. What was once (say in the late 90s) rigorous participation in fly fishing drops to hopeless dreams and fantasies of once again becoming a fisherman.

However, to counter that precipitous plunge, a drastic rise in men spectatorship of sports such as competitive dancing, cheerleading and mall running is booming.

Just saying...

Posted on: 2013/10/25 18:13

From SE Pa
Quote:
However, to counter that precipitous plunge, a drastic rise in men spectatorship of sports such as competitive dancing, cheerleading and mall running is booming.

I sure hope those guys are wearing breathable waders for that ..... they'll be seriously sweated-up wearing vulcanized rubber.

On another slant, this whole thread is seriously appreciated, it made for several sits of fun reading this week ..... thanks guys !!!

Posted on: 2013/10/25 18:55

springer glad you liked the thread... interesting yeah...

I have said repeatedly that I think about the stream - size, safety, public/private land etc, - before I decide on sharing info. enough about that.

should have mentioned two other things I consider: if I learned about the stream from someone who asked me not to tell, I don't. some people on and off PAFF feel that way about some streams, and a deal's a deal. speaking of which, the people here are just the people who decide to post here. I know a few guys with exc eastern PA stream knowledge who don't post here, and if they ask me for discretion on stream info, they get it.

Also, in some cases, I try to be considerate of landowners and neighbors. I know some streams right by houses, or that require a walk on or very near private land, or parking in quiet neighborhoods, or suburban parking with space for one or two cars max. Could be the best or worse place to fish, but I am not about to slap that info on the internet out of consideration to neighbors who may not want too many people in their neighborhood early am, parking near by houses etc. Even if I'll never fish there again. Some people may not want too many people walking by their kids' playgrounds, so sometimes a choice not to pass info on is just being considerate -not selfish at all. And there is enough posted land already, folks...

anyhow, thanks for a good discussion to all, and I hope my views haven't compromised The Future of Fly Fishing too badly :)

Posted on: 2013/10/26 7:34

Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 7:50:12
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 7:51:09
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 7:54:21
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 7:56:08
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 7:58:27
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:00:44
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:03:12
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:05:52
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:07:45
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:08:30
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:10:44
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:14:50
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:16:36
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:18:02
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:21:43
Edited by k-bob on 2013/10/26 8:23:10

From Abington
Quote:

greenghost wrote:
While those numbers show flyfishing remaining steady, it does not reflect the one niche that shows a dramatic drop.... Men with young daughters.

Just saying...

My 9 y.o and her new waders disagree...but you're probably right in general...Unfortunately it doesn't get me out of taking her to gymnastics.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 9:27

From PA
K-bob summed it well in his last post. My sentiments exactly. Nothing wrong with some sharing, but there is times to not also.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 14:42

From Butler, Pa
I read this yesterday and was about to make the same comments as K bob. And just with all things in life there are times and places for it and times and places where there aren't (ERIE). Really all the time there unfortunately and not just the tribs either. The lake can turn into an aquatic parkway.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 16:46

From Johnstown, PA
Out of all this i like dkile's statement to PAY IT FORWARD the mostest. Once again you surprise me by thinking like me.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 8:37

From LV
Quote:

CLSports wrote:
If fisherman were as passionate about stream conservation as they are about spot burning it would no longer be an issue . . .

Ain't that the truth!

Posted on: 2013/10/28 17:40

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com